Notices

cambelt time!

Search this Thread

Old 14 May 2004, 12:49 PM
nickysplendid
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default cambelt time!

i 've got a pricey service coming up...i've been buying the bits ready ..here's what i've spent so far:

4x hks sparks £64
1 x hks air filter £29
5 ltrs castrol 10w-60 £30
phew! it hasn't gone in to keith prices yet!!!!
they have advised i get the cambelt done as well. the car's got 36k on the clock but is 4/5 yrs old...so they tell me that it's cambelt time.
i can't argue with that...after all, i don't want the cambelt going.

I've been quoted £180 for a cambelt change at keith prices...

Has anybody had it done cheaper?
is it worth me getting it done at a non subaru garage?

please advise me! i'm virtually broke and the missus is up the stick (again!)
Old 14 May 2004, 01:16 PM
Group Captain Smudger
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by nickysplendid

4x hks sparks £64

I've been quoted £180 for a cambelt change at keith prices...

Has anybody had it done cheaper?
is it worth me getting it done at a non subaru garage?
4x ngk sparks £29.16 fastparts

I had my cambelt done by DRJ Motors Carmarthen - and it cost me a good deal less than £180.
Old 14 May 2004, 01:26 PM
nickysplendid
Scooby Regular

i was advised by br developments (who mapped the ecu) to use that kit...but i was rather surprised at the price of the plugs...next time i buy some irridium and coat them myself ;-).
Old 15 May 2004, 05:30 PM
JohnD
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hi nick
The car already had HKS S35i iridium plugs. I changed to these at around 20k?? - check the record in the back of the handbook. Iridium plugs should be good for 50k so they don't really need changing? (NGK PFR7B is a good alternative) 0.7mm gap
The air filter installed is a K&N - should only need cleaning and re-oiling.
If you want to save a few bob, I'm sure someone would have the plugs (If I was closer, I would!) and maybe the filter.
Can't argue about the cambelt but don't forget I changed the tensioner to the revised "blue" coded version, so that's OK. Changing the belt is not a five minute job and should be done by someone experienced with Subarus. Also the tensioner will need to be removed and properly re-set and re-installed. Not worth skimping on this one, so choose your garage wisely.
I changed the gearbox and final drive fluids (again check the history in the handbook Castrol "Syntrax") so these will not need to be renewed yet (there's 40 quid saved!) niether will the brake fluid (Castrol "Response") Have a look at the pads though!
Re-evaluate what you need to have done and it should'nt be too bad.
Look after her (and the wife!) Cheers mate JohnD
Old 17 May 2004, 08:24 AM
nickysplendid
Scooby Regular

Wink

John! You're a star mate!
I'm aware that there already are HKS s35i plugs...i just figured i'd get some new oil, plugs, and filter and keep this baby running like a dream!
check your inbox john...i've got some very good news regarding this service!

Originally Posted by JohnD
Hi nick
The car already had HKS S35i iridium plugs. I changed to these at around 20k?? - check the record in the back of the handbook. Iridium plugs should be good for 50k so they don't really need changing? (NGK PFR7B is a good alternative) 0.7mm gap
The air filter installed is a K&N - should only need cleaning and re-oiling.
If you want to save a few bob, I'm sure someone would have the plugs (If I was closer, I would!) and maybe the filter.
Can't argue about the cambelt but don't forget I changed the tensioner to the revised "blue" coded version, so that's OK. Changing the belt is not a five minute job and should be done by someone experienced with Subarus. Also the tensioner will need to be removed and properly re-set and re-installed. Not worth skimping on this one, so choose your garage wisely.
I changed the gearbox and final drive fluids (again check the history in the handbook Castrol "Syntrax") so these will not need to be renewed yet (there's 40 quid saved!) niether will the brake fluid (Castrol "Response") Have a look at the pads though!
Re-evaluate what you need to have done and it should'nt be too bad.
Look after her (and the wife!) Cheers mate JohnD