Notices

Visiting Cardiff 25/08 - 01/09

Search this Thread

Old 24 August 2002, 12:29 PM
JasonO
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Anyone in the Cardiff region fancy a pint ?

Or maybe you can point me in the right dircetion of some nice roads to punish my hire car on ?
Old 24 August 2002, 01:57 PM
Chip
Scooby Regular

Where abouts are you staying in Cardiff Jason.

Chip.
Old 24 August 2002, 02:32 PM
JasonO
Scooby Regular

On the outskirts, near Nantgarw. Not 100% sure to be honest, as I've never spent a great deal of time down these parts before, but I don't mind exploring [or getting lost on expenses ]
Old 24 August 2002, 03:52 PM
smiffyMINI
Scooby Newbie

Cool

Im from Cardiff
Old 24 August 2002, 10:29 PM
Chip
Scooby Regular

Not far from me then. I'm away on Tues,Wed maybe pint or two on Thurs then.

Chip.
Old 26 August 2002, 02:12 AM
scrappydoo
Scooby Regular

I live in Nant mate. One piece of advice though and watch the bloody speed camera device right opposite the aeorspace factory in the central reservation. Got done recently just down from the gatso. They decided to place a mobile speed trap about 100 yards down, so watch out mate. That really got my goat.

Scrappy
Old 26 August 2002, 02:46 PM
JasonO
Scooby Regular

That fookin camera is well situated init, flippin hard to keep your speed down coming towards it aswell, with the aerospace place on your right

Any really good drives around here ?

You know like little short stretches, that you need to turn around and do over and over again ?
Old 26 August 2002, 02:47 PM
JasonO
Scooby Regular

Oh and I've heard that coming out of the round-about towards the camera (aerospace on the left) can be a bit hairy in the wet too
Old 26 August 2002, 04:24 PM
scrappydoo
Scooby Regular

Smile

My god, ive come off that roundabout in my scooby and i nearly went into oncoming traffic a number of times, its horrible. I think its quite oily there. My favourite little stretch is the road going over the mountain down into cardiff, but coming back in to caerphilly. There is a part that actually corners uphill, kinda like a corkscrew. I swear you can pull G-force there :-) Its by the golf club and further down is a travel inn.You will need a run up though. Try it, i bet you will go back for more. :-)
Old 26 August 2002, 05:04 PM
JasonO
Scooby Regular

Right, where is that road then ?

Just got here last night, and flippin workin all day, probably be done abt 8pm tonight, so may go find it before I grab some nosh...........
Old 26 August 2002, 09:44 PM
Chip
Scooby Regular

Jason.
How about Thurs or Fri for a pint.

chip
Old 27 August 2002, 03:57 AM
scrappydoo
Scooby Regular

jas,
Go up past the slidy road so the aerospace factory is on your left, get to the roundabout at the top. Take the last exit off. This then takes you past a farm shop (right) and a housing estate on the left. You carry on all the way on this road for about 3/4mile to the top of the moutain. Get to a junction and turn right and its just down round the corner. You will have to turn round to come back up it though. Lasts about 5 seconds but i like it and the scooby grips like glue through it especially when you are pilling on the speed. Bit sad i know, however it still manages to put a smile on my face. :-)

Scrappy
Old 27 August 2002, 10:37 AM
Leg@cy
Scooby Regular

Hey Scrappy (Sorry to butt in) I'm just up the road ... by the miners hospital.... wouldn't mind joining in??
What you driving then?? Might have seen you in the area.... I've a legacy saloon.. cheers

PS....

How long has the mobile Camera been hanging about??? I only tend to watch the speedo approaching the camera...

[Edited by Legacy4x4Turbo - 8/27/2002 10:40:14 AM]
Old 27 August 2002, 01:00 PM
STI MAN
Scooby Regular

Someone should turn that camera 90 degrees, so it points at the plane engines all day
Old 27 August 2002, 02:17 PM
JasonO
Scooby Regular

Found it last night, when I eventually got finished up at work, Fun bit of road, did it a couple of times, then went to get some dinner

Not sure about the beer now, may be finished up and going home Thursday, I'll confirm tomorrow
Old 27 August 2002, 03:50 PM
scrappydoo
Scooby Regular

hi Legacy, welcome to the board mate. I was driving a MY01 impreza blue WRX with all the bits on. However i have just sold it last week and im missing it bigtime. Hopefully i will be driving round in a sti or the new shape one with redesigned headlights pretty soon so look out for me. Right now i will have to stick with the BMW so if you get some nutter in a 5 series sport waving like mad its me. What colour lagacy you got mate, i will look out for ya?

Jas,
Its only i tiny stretch but its good init? Like kids arnt we? :-)
What car did you drive it in?

Scrappy
Old 27 August 2002, 04:03 PM
scrappydoo
Scooby Regular

lagacy,
I was only concearned with the fixed gatso one half way up until i got an NIP through the door saying that i was speeding. I thought to myself that it was a bit weird because i always slow down for the gatso then speed up after it. :-) (Dont we all?) so i asked for the photo. Anyway it turned out that i was caught by a camera in a van in the busbay just down by the traffic lights. It really annoyed me. It was an unmarked one to. What a waste of time, i mean two cameras in the space of 100yards. So watch out for it mate. This happened about 4months ago and they havent been there since. I gave them my details after a bit of a fight then they summonsed me to court for failing to supply the information. Im waiting now. Bloody idiots.

Scrappy
Old 28 August 2002, 10:51 AM
JasonO
Scooby Regular

Talking

Ha, Scrappy wants to know what I drove it in

Errr, a Hyundai Matrix, doesn't matter how I say that it still sounds embarrasing. It was fun watching a little red XR3i trying to get away from me driving like a demon though
Old 28 August 2002, 02:38 PM
Leg@cy
Scooby Regular

Hey Scrappy,

I have heard of this mobil camera b4, but never seen it..... and up'til now itr hasn't seen me.

Dark Green (almost black) saloon. standard subaru alloys (had to put them back on as I had a run in with a pothole)

K plate

The last few weeks I've spotted a few impreza's and waved/flashed, but no reply?????
Is there some taboo about saluting the 'older brother'??

See you about.... what do I look out for .... colour/year??

Cheers

[Edited by Legacy4x4Turbo - 8/28/2002 2:45:03 PM]
Old 28 August 2002, 04:43 PM
scrappydoo
Scooby Regular

Talking

lagacy,

It could'nt have been me cos i would have waved back mate. Look out for a newish BMW 5series (1 year old), sport i , dark gray. Looks like the new M3 a bit. C reg with a driver (me) who is constantly being told looks like Ruud van Nistelrooy. ?? Yes!! im famous. :-)

In about 2months i'll be getting a new impreza depending how good it looks at the paris motorshow so look out for that in the near future.

Jason

hehe!! Sorry about the idiots here trying to race you. Everyone tries and some of them are nuts. To the death type of thing. :-)Even some of the police try and push you into racing, that is when they are not assulting you. :-)

Scrappy

[Edited by scrappydoo - 8/28/2002 4:45:48 PM]
Old 30 August 2002, 09:10 AM
R.B.5
Scooby Regular

Think i'll give it a miss, chip might give me a lecture about bad language and the improper use of asterix's on this forum....bohooo

:P :P
Old 30 August 2002, 11:22 AM
JasonO
Scooby Regular

Sorry I never managed to stay long enough to buy some beer for you guys, maybe next time

On the + side of things, I had a little jaunt round Cardiff city centre and down for a walk along Cardiff bay, it's a nice city, with some well fit smoot flouncing around half clad when the weather is fine.

Oh, and some nice little snippets of road too, just hope next time round I get a better higher car.

C Y'all
Old 30 August 2002, 05:13 PM
scrappydoo
Scooby Regular

Take care mate. Maybe next time we can all meetup. Take it easy.

Regards

Scrappy