Notices

Track day tyres

Search this Thread

Old 18 April 2005, 07:51 PM
miles25
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Track day tyres

I read a post on another site that said that new tyres on a dry track are not as good as worn ones that are near the limit marker, as they will grip better.

Here's the quote:

"New tyres are not ideal and you will find that when they get down to the tread markers they will generally last longer and give you more grip (so long as it's dry)."

Is that true??

Last edited by miles25; 18 April 2005 at 07:55 PM.
Old 18 April 2005, 09:57 PM
RRH
Scooby Regular

yep.

you'll find that tyres with loads of tread will generate a lot of heat with the tread shifting around, and this drastically increases the chances of the tyre de-laminating.

this happened to me once upon a time, with some really cheap new tyres that I ran at Croft on an STiRA. Think I got about ten laps before they fell to bits....

its a different matter in the wet though, as you need the grooves to shift the water.
Old 18 April 2005, 11:05 PM
miles25
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by RRH
yep.

you'll find that tyres with loads of tread will generate a lot of heat with the tread shifting around, and this drastically increases the chances of the tyre de-laminating.

this happened to me once upon a time, with some really cheap new tyres that I ran at Croft on an STiRA. Think I got about ten laps before they fell to bits....

its a different matter in the wet though, as you need the grooves to shift the water.
Bet you stay away from cheap tyres now

At my last outing in the 205 pug at Elvington (it was dry) I had two rear tyres that were near to the limit and the back end was everywhere. I changed them to a pair of brand new middle of the range tyres and the back end held a lot better???

Am I missing something??
Old 18 April 2005, 11:07 PM
RRH
Scooby Regular

the impreza is driving all four wheels so creating loads of heat all round. with the pug, maybe the extra tread moving about is increasing the temp and making them stickier? the extra comliance due to tread at the rear could be doing it though.
Old 18 April 2005, 11:22 PM
miles25
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by RRH
the impreza is driving all four wheels so creating loads of heat all round. with the pug, maybe the extra tread moving about is increasing the temp and making them stickier? the extra comliance due to tread at the rear could be doing it though.
Would make sense that a 2 wheel drive car would act differently on tyres to a 4 wheel drive.

On a seperate note are you at Oulton on the 18th May mate??? Next one planned after Donnington this weekend.
Old 19 April 2005, 08:19 AM
RRH
Scooby Regular

trying to sort my life- and a track car- at the mo. will be doing the sprint at aintree this weekend, then hopefully Oulton and Croft in May.