Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
looking likely
Old 04 July 2002, 01:54 PM
Blue
Scooby Regular

Question

Its gonna be a tough one to call - could go either way. I'm not brave - I like the dry
Old 04 July 2002, 04:26 PM
rjh
Scooby Regular

How do road tyres hold up on track in the wet? I've got a worn out set I was going to use if it's dry cos I don't want to trash my road tyres.

Thanks

Richard
Old 04 July 2002, 09:44 PM
Blue
Scooby Regular

If its pretty wet your road tyres shouldn't sustain too much wear, but if its only damp and there's a dry line you'd be better on your 'dry' road tyres. Take both sets then you have a choice, as at the moment the weather forecast isn't too definate either way.
Old 04 July 2002, 09:51 PM
gregh
Scooby Regular

if it's touch and go then upping the pressure in your road tyres will put less strain on them. I believe Mike from Prodrive runs around 40PSI on his tyres during a track day and he drives there, drive sideways all day and drives home on one set! (But I guess the Prodrive mechanics just sort it out the next day!)
Old 04 July 2002, 10:41 PM
LEE P
Scooby Regular

Talking

I dont mind the wet meself.

would like it to be dry to run my slicks but i dont mind the rain, just try and be smooth with all your movements, braking etc. and buid up slowly, have a look for puddles first before going for it.

Lee

p.s ive heard donno can be deadly in the wet as its under he flight path and aviattion fuel gets on the track!
Old 05 July 2002, 12:23 AM
johnfelstead
Scooby Regular
Support Scoobynet!

Received 53 Likes on 30 Posts
Red face

i love driving in the wet. Thankyou Don Palmer

Dono has a couple of places that are very slick in the wet, worst place is McLeans which is the uphill left right after the bottom straight under the bridge. Thats where all the aviation fuel gets dumped.

You also get a river running accross at the entry to redgate and at the bottom of craner curves/old hairpin.

Copice can get a dry line first, usually apears in the middle of the track where under normal circumstances you would have your inside wheel. Its got a very slight crown in the road, if you place your outer tyres on that by taking a tighter exit you can get more corner speed when the tracks going from wet to damp/dry.

There is a nice bump right on the exit line of swantz curve (bottom section between the old hairpin and McLeans) that will unsetle the car in the wet and may kick the rear end out if your pushing it, just keep a steady power on through there if you feel it and it will be fine, back off and it has a tendency to snap oversteer.

There can be a river running across the track at the exit for the grand prix loop too, thats a braking point for us, so be weary of that too.

The exit from the chicane onto the pits straight has a tendency to spin people into the pit wall in the wet, so dont try to be too much of a hero for the crowds there as the camber makes it do a lazy spin and before you know it youve rear ended the pits entrance wall.

Thats the main ones. Use your head and its a fantastic wet track, wide enough to be safe unless your a nutter. or unlucky

Have fun and take care of each other!

Trending Topics

Old 05 July 2002, 12:34 AM
LEE P
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

Sounds tops john

so youve been before then

ill be taking it easy if its wet and just build up slowly! no heroics for moi im afraid!
Old 05 July 2002, 08:11 AM
Mellow Yellow !
Scooby Regular

I think you know I like the "wet" John....t'was the only time I blew your Westie outta the way
Old 05 July 2002, 12:23 PM
johnfelstead
Scooby Regular
Support Scoobynet!

Received 53 Likes on 30 Posts
Wink

something seriously wrong if you didnt considering i was on virtual slicks and putting 330BHP through the rear wheels only.

Hardly blew me away mate. 2 or 3MPH diference tops.

The only other car to pass me in the wet that day fell off at the next corner, that was an Integrale. Made me laugh anyway.