Notices

BC Damping settings

Search this Thread

Old 13 October 2013, 06:52 PM
neil-h
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default BC Damping settings

Right gents, I'm getting a set of BC Racing BR coilovers fitted to my hawkeye on Friday. Any suggestions on what makes for a reasonable damper setting for daily use?
Cheers
Old 13 October 2013, 06:57 PM
Infected by sti
Scooby Regular

My advice is don't do it I feckin hate mine
Old 15 October 2013, 08:51 PM
Mr Footlong
Scooby Regular

I am in the same boat as Infected and feel exactly the same!
Old 16 October 2013, 09:46 AM
neil-h
Scooby Regular

What's wrong with them? I had a search on here and there seem to be 2 camps when it comes to BCs, some love them and some hate them.
Old 16 October 2013, 10:00 AM
Blue by You
Scooby Regular

I love my BCs.
On the softest setting they are as comfortable as the OEM suspension but still retain a good degree of response and support the car well.
If you take your car on track there is a wide range of harder settings to cope with everything a road-based car will demand by way of improved handling.
If I have any crticism of them it would be that the top mounts on the rear units do rattle over potholes and such like from time to time. The reason for this is that I have the older style mounts and I believe they now come with a cushioned mounting that removes this noise. If I was that bothered I could simply install the newer mountings. But I'm not!

There are several cars in my local scooby club that have BCs fitted and I have heard not one complaint.

Best thing I can suggest is that you get a ride in a car with them fitted.
Old 16 October 2013, 10:20 AM
Fonzey
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I think (certainly on this forum) they're the most popular choice by far - so you're always going to get strong opinions on them either way.

I've got the BC's with the external reservoirs (BC-ER) and they're FANTASTIC on track, but a little noisy for road use. I've got independant adjustment on the compression and rebound for each strut - so I'm struggling to find a proper balanced setup which isn't so hard it's hard, and so soft it's bouncy.

I plan on a trip to Chevron for a few days of proper setup to see what they can do
Old 20 October 2013, 12:42 PM
neil-h
Scooby Regular

Well they were fitted on Friday and so far I'm more than happy. The most important thing being its stopped the rear shocks clunking. Will have too see how they handle the commute on Monday and have a play with the damping adjustment.
Old 20 October 2013, 03:55 PM
Peter Pan
Scooby Regular

I fitted a set of BC BR's a number of weeks ago on my GC8, I've got mine on the softest setting and very happy with them so far after trying different heights and settings. My Mrs isn't to keen on them as they make her fun bags bounce around but hey I'm not complaining!!
Old 20 October 2013, 06:16 PM
Markyscoob
Scooby Regular

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

All depends on the springs fitted!
Old 21 October 2013, 03:36 PM
oli_p
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by neil-h
Well they were fitted on Friday and so far I'm more than happy. The most important thing being its stopped the rear shocks clunking. Will have too see how they handle the commute on Monday and have a play with the damping adjustment.
Which springs rates did you have fitted?? Got mine booked into scoobyworld next Monday, they say they usually supply 6/5's but can do any. Currently have a set of rokkor coilovers fitted at the mo.

Cars used as a daily, but unsure if I should go with the 6/5's or go with the 5/4's that some people recommend
Old 21 October 2013, 04:43 PM
fawor
BANNED

Originally Posted by oli_p
Which springs rates did you have fitted?? Got mine booked into scoobyworld next Monday, they say they usually supply 6/5's but can do any. Currently have a set of rokkor coilovers fitted at the mo.

Cars used as a daily, but unsure if I should go with the 6/5's or go with the 5/4's that some people recommend
im on apex/bc racing -6/5 and my advice is save money for bilstein coilovers.
ive got mine 3 years with steering mount bushes, arbs ,alk roll centre kit with adjustable drop links just fitted and set up,preload,high etc done by chevron motorsport no probs with them but bc are budget coilovers, so bumpy on roads.

Last edited by fawor; 21 October 2013 at 04:44 PM.
Old 21 October 2013, 04:54 PM
oli_p
Scooby Regular

doubt the right quality would suffer much from current budget setup lol. used to have tein s springs on my evo which I felt were abit harsh on bumpy roads but easy enough to put up with.

Is your above setup with bc's or bilsteins?
Old 21 October 2013, 09:37 PM
fawor
BANNED

doubt the right quality would suffer much from current budget setup lol. used to have tein s springs on my evo which I felt were abit harsh on bumpy roads but easy enough to put up with.

Is your above setup with bc's or bilsteins?
is on bc's,next car will be on bilstein's
Old 21 October 2013, 10:25 PM
LUCKO
Scooby Regular

Default fawor is this what you had in mind?

http://www.europerformancedirect.co....product=358254

Bilstein B14

£1089

are these any good
Old 21 October 2013, 10:44 PM
oli_p
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by fawor
im on apex/bc racing -6/5 and my advice is save money for bilstein coilovers.
ive got mine 3 years with steering mount bushes, arbs ,alk roll centre kit with adjustable drop links just fitted and set up,preload,high etc done by chevron motorsport no probs with them but bc are budget coilovers, so bumpy on roads.
Would you say theyre good for the money though?? im planning on lowering my car a fair bit in the future, so I think any coilover that ill fit will still feel abit bumpy
Old 22 October 2013, 11:39 AM
fawor
BANNED

Originally Posted by LUCKO
http://www.europerformancedirect.co....product=358254

Bilstein B14

£1089

are these any good
yes or b16, speak with simon from chevron motorsport, he knows few tricks with impreza handling mods including bilstein's
and he will send you back e-mail not like others from powerstation , scoobyworld,litchfield etc.

Would you say theyre good for the money though?? im planning on lowering my car a fair bit in the future, so I think any coilover that ill fit will still feel abit bumpy
yes you are correct good value for a money but trust me bc's are to bouncy and clunking,maybe after all mods and set up my car is stiff, cornering is great but coilovers arent perfect on normal roads,should do job better

Last edited by fawor; 22 October 2013 at 11:50 AM.
Old 22 October 2013, 10:37 PM
scoobyboy1
Scooby Regular

Had loads of different coilovers over the years on a various Impreza's, Had Tein, Cusco, BC, D2 Racing, and Eibach!!

Best coilovers ive had have been the Eibach coilovers(current Hawk STi, and previous Blobeye) these dont come with the top mounts, which sometimes I think add to the problem with knocking/rattling!!
And I cant adjust the damper setting on them like the other coilovers, But for a basic coilover where I can adjust the ride height, the ride on them is like the standard suspension(not harsh, dont rattle, and soaks up the crap roads we have in the UK) unlike some of those hard coilovers Ive had on other cars!!

OK i understand there not the best coilovers for damper settings etc but I dont do trackdays and for normal everyday road use in which I use my car for, they are brilliant!!!
Old 22 October 2013, 10:51 PM
LUCKO
Scooby Regular

how much John/?
Old 22 October 2013, 11:46 PM
scoobyboy1
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by LUCKO
how much John/?
How do mate!!

about £1200
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/EIBACH-Pro...-/270999510137

Put a advert in wanted section for a used set!!! You know how mine drives with the Eibach's(and you can take the car out anytime to get a feel for them), and you know what OKL was like with the Tein coilovers, nearly crashed that car so many times, because the suspension was to hard and would hit any dips in the road and un-settle the car!!!!

Im suprised you havent had Prodrive make you a one of set with 24caret gold and diamond top mounts with your weekley income!!!!

Last edited by scoobyboy1; 22 October 2013 at 11:48 PM.
Old 22 October 2013, 11:57 PM
LUCKO
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by scoobyboy1
Im suprised you havent had Prodrive make you a one of set with 24caret gold and diamond top mounts with your weekley income!!!!
**** that ive contacted NASA they are sorting a set for me

minimum wage here dude WTF