WRX Shocks help

Search this Thread

Old 16 July 2013, 11:36 AM
nickadjones
Scooby Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default WRX Shocks help

Hi

I own an 06 WRX PPP that's current in repair shop after someone drove into the side of me.

As a result the insurers are replacing one rear shock absorber (they will not replace both despite my arguing). I asked about the price for them to do the other shock absorber so they could be done in pairs and they said the shock absorber itself was £396+VAT (not including fitting)(Part from Kinghams in Croydon). That is ridiculous.

The part number is 20360FE3529L.

I am now just going to leave it and wait for the car to come back to me and I will then looking at trying to find an OEM shock absorber cheaper or replace both like a paired set of KYBs. (A pair only seems to cost just over £200)

Does anyone know who makes the OEM shock absorber? Is it KYB?
Any advice on how to best to progress this most welcome
Thanks
Nick
Old 16 July 2013, 11:57 AM
The Trooper 1815
18 June 1815 - Waterloo

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

KYB are the prefered supplier to Subaru.
Old 17 July 2013, 12:30 PM
nickadjones
Scooby Newbie

Default Update

Thanks for your reply.

The plot thickens.

My car was a last of the blobeye shape; a 'GDA' car.

As a result the shock absorbers remain under licence to Subaru and parts can only come from Subaru.

In a word, KYB do not manufacture a shock for that version of Subaru yet. (Even though they do shocks for other blobeye cars)

Unless anyone has experience here, but surely I can just put on KYB shock absorbers that would fit any other blob eye model and they will fit fine??

Could Subaru actually have changed the linkages that the shock absorber bolts into?

Nick
Old 17 July 2013, 01:08 PM
dan653
Scooby Regular

nick, can you find out the part number on your front right shock? Then I can see if it matches the ones that came off mine and tell you what to get.

20360FE3529L is listed here...

http://opposedforces.com/parts/impre...llustration_2/

...under section 8 as an alternate part. you'll notice if you look at the other 3 parts in that section that they are alternate parts for each other, so should be interchangeable. Which means you'll probably be able to replace them with KYB Ultra SRs KYB (321002, KYB 321003, KYB 321004, KYB 321005) but I'd need you to find out that front shock part number for me.

source: https://www.scoobynet.com/showpost.p...7&postcount=10
Old 17 July 2013, 04:25 PM
nickadjones
Scooby Newbie

Default Ref

Car is in repair shop. But it sounds like from other older threads that it's a commmon issue with GDAs and that regular Excel-G or the Ultra SRs will fit fine.
So I am going back to the repair shop and negotiating with the claims handlers that they fund both shocks seeing that I am giving them a £200 saving in parts alone! The question now is whether top mounts should be changed while it's all off? Some say yes, some say no.
I just want to keep the car in good standard condition and had noticed the suspension was a bit clonky and skippy before the accident anyway.
Thanks
Nick
Old 19 July 2013, 09:52 PM
nickadjones
Scooby Newbie

Default Another piece of advice please

Hi, KYB Excel Gs rear shocks arrived and the fitters are concerned that because of the difference to mine originals in piston rod diameter (the excel Gs are smaller< whereas mine are nearer STI/Ultra SR size, they think they won't fit. The tip where they fit into the top mounts has a different shape also.

They called Camskill who reckon I should have Ultra SRs (£217), but from reading older feeds numerous people have got and fitted Excel Gs to 04/05/06 cars without trouble.

I dont really want Ultra SR stiffness.

Ultra SRs are Camskill ref CAMSKIT2077
Excel Gs I've bought are CAMSKIT1264

Camskill Link:
http://www.camskill.co.uk/m10b0s2713...03_on_Excl_STi

Have I bought the wrong Excel Gs? Can people confirm what part number their Excel Gs are?

Many thanks

Nick