Notices

BC Coilovers on new scoob, HATING THEM! Options for softening?

Search this Thread

Old 16 June 2013, 10:41 AM
Mr Footlong
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default BC Coilovers on new scoob, HATING THEM! Options for softening?

Hi guys

I feel really bad saying this but so far, I am hating ownership of Scoob #4 so far . When I bought her, I did my best to see through the obvious to the car that I could make this in to but I was hoping that I might be able to keep the coilover setup. I am having my doubts.

This is the car that I bought - https://www.scoobynet.com/subaru-444...3-jdm-sti.html

First off, she is way too low. the front splitter had to be removed as it caught everything, the car scrapes going up/down car parks and grounds out going over the nasty little speeds humps that you get in the likes of retail parks, doing my head in. Next up, the rims are too big for the car and as a result is running stretched sidewalls just to keep them inside the arches.

Although the arches are all rolled, I am managing to rub at least one tyre on every trip out, fronts more than rears but no surprise there. I have already bought a set of 18x8.5 Rota Force rims with 235 f1 rubber courtesy of Mags from Ruislip Tyres which will sort out the stupid rim/rubbing issue hopefully but here comes the next problem.

The suspension is as hard as hell. While I haven't checked the front settings, the rears are 17 off hardest on the BC rears.

If I were to raise the suspension (which is happening one way or another!) and turn both the fronts and rears to their softest dampening settings, any idea how well that is going to work compared with a decent adjustable KYB/Eibach setup? Only problem is that I do like going sideways an awful lot and this car does that very easily in its current setup. If I have to lose that ability just to make this thing bearable to drive then so be it.

I have Bilstein PSS9 coilovers on the main beast with a bit of a drop on the height too and the ride is utterly night & day over this demon. Perhaps I have been spoilt by the other cars but currently, the idea of driving this thing fills me with dread! Don't start me on the clutch, that is coming out asap too........

Cheers,

Nick .
Old 16 June 2013, 10:44 AM
tubbytommy
BANNED

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

No test drive before buying ??
Old 16 June 2013, 10:47 AM
Mr Footlong
Scooby Regular

Lol yes of course. As I mentioned, I was doing my best to see through the immediate setup to how I could make it. The roads weren't too bad at all around there, better than around here really so that was helping to disguise the coilovers to an extent.

Ride height is easy enough to sort out, I am just wondering if there is a snowball's chance in hell that the BC can be dialled in to be far more compliant once raised, without feeling like a bucket of custard when I go in to maximum attack mode (a lot of the time to be fair)
Old 16 June 2013, 10:55 AM
tubbytommy
BANNED

Are you sure a lot of the problems are wheel/tyre related??
I did a bit of research before buying new wheels and was told stretched tyres will ruin handling.

you want a drivers car and bought a tarts car.

bin the wheels and get ones that fit or at least borrow some oem ones and try them
Old 16 June 2013, 11:00 AM
Mr Footlong
Scooby Regular

I know I write a lot but if you look again at the original post you will see that new wheels/tyres are en route. Rota Force in 18x8.5 with Goodyear Eagle F1 Assymetric 2 rubber. Mags is having the wheels powder coated for me so will be a couple of weeks.

I have another set of wheels on Fluffy but the rubber is fairly shot. I have been toying with the idea of slapping those old beaten up wheels/tyres on just so that I can get these gold things sold off faster!

The handling isn't bad at all, it is purely the suspension feel, even factoring in that she is fairly slammed. This really is a question aimed more at people with BC coilovers I guess, that aren't running them slammed to the deck BECAUSE RACE CAR

Originally Posted by tubbytommy
you want a drivers car and bought a tarts car.
Nope, I factored in that I could get good money back swapping out the questionable bits, meaning that I could make her better with fairly little expense overall.

Last edited by Mr Footlong; 16 June 2013 at 11:02 AM.
Old 16 June 2013, 11:03 AM
tubbytommy
BANNED

I have bcs and the ride was better than the oem shocks.
you can buy different spring rates so maybe you have hard springs.
Id try normal wheel/tyre combo first then geometry set up
Old 16 June 2013, 11:29 AM
Mr Footlong
Scooby Regular

Thanks, I wasn't aware about the spring options on them, will look through the paperwork to see if that tells me what is on there currently, just don't want to spend money on springs for them just to find that the still feel too boneshaking for my tastes.

Will pull finger out of butt and stick on the old beaten up 18s off the old goat and see how that goes, subject to tyre condition...

While you are being helpful, any chance that you can elaborate on the steering wheel painting thread by putting up an additional post on there? - https://www.scoobynet.com/showpost.p...42&postcount=3

I would really appreciate your input on how you appeared to mask off the sti badge really accurately. Contemplating masking tape and a precision blade but your input would be great thanks as just about to do it.

Trending Topics

Old 16 June 2013, 11:33 AM
tubbytommy
BANNED

I masked in the way you mentioned above.
not really too hard with a scalpel or stanley knife.
then 2 light coats of satin black.
Old 16 June 2013, 11:35 AM
tubbytommy
BANNED

On the bc subject.
have you checked for camber bolts etc as some people fit the to avoid arch rubbing.
the geometry could be way out for driving properly
Old 17 June 2013, 06:46 AM
Mr Footlong
Scooby Regular

99% sure that camber bolts were fitted to bring the camber in more. Not fussed about that though currently as S4You can remove those if meeded, I am really interested in if the BC BR series can be dialled in to behave far more like the OE shock system that came on her, albeit running at the equivalent of lowered settings, just not slammed like it is now.......

Last edited by Mr Footlong; 17 June 2013 at 06:47 AM.
Old 18 June 2013, 11:16 AM
banny sti
Scooby Senior

Received 22 Likes on 16 Posts

Find out what spring rate is currently and then you can speak to Bren @ Apex Performance about getting something a little softer
Old 18 June 2013, 10:36 PM
300gnspitzer
Scooby Regular

I was talking to Scooby world today about BC coilovers, they said I couldn't buy springs on their own. They told me that the dampers are set for a particular spring rate so the springs are not interchangeable
Old 18 June 2013, 10:41 PM
JdcTypeR
Scooby Regular

If you go on the bc racing website you can by springs separately.

www.bc-racing.co.uk
Old 19 June 2013, 10:53 AM
Greddy-matt
Scooby Newbie

I have these fitted and run them with about a 20mm drop front and rear, I find them far more compliant than the stock shocks. The height shouldn't make a huge difference to the ride as its adjusted by moving the foot up and down the lower leg, the travel doesn't change.

I would check the previous owner hasn't wound up the lower spring seat and over compressed the springs, that makes the ride pretty crashy no matter how much you twiddle the damping.

I slackened the lower spring seats off till just loose then wound it up 5mm.

Worth having a fettle with them before binning them for sure.
Old 19 June 2013, 12:56 PM
Tidgy
Scooby Regular

Received 150 Likes on 115 Posts

for a road car you dont need coilovers, decent set of adjustable shocks and owering springs will be fine.

as far as the bumpy ride i'd wait till the new wheels are on before you decide, they make a massive difference.