Notices

05 WRX arb's, alk, coilovers/springs + shocks?

Search this Thread

Old 19 May 2013, 07:51 PM
Ed-EG
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 05 WRX arb's, alk, coilovers/springs + shocks?

I'm currently driving an 05 wrx making 320bhp, and as a result I think its about time I upgrade the suspension to match the power. I've already got plans for a full brembo conversion with EBC blue stuff NDX pads and some decent fluid, however I'm still undecided on what to do with the suspension setup.

My current plans are to put a 24mm ARB on the rear and a 22mm ARB on the front, along with an anti lift kit to help reduce the understeer, although having not driven with this stuff on a car I'm not sure how drastic the changes will be, and most importantly whether it'll end up having a negative effect on the handling?

On to the next point, I'm still stuck between coilovers or springs and shocks. I've been reading a lot of good things about racing logic coilovers, however I've read equally good things about the KYB ultra's with some eibach springs. Now the price difference between the two is negligible so cost really isnt a factor, just again the issue is I dont have the opportunity to test these different set ups out, and wouldn't want to buy the RL's and end up with a ride that cripples me after a couple of hours usage, or buy the kyb ultras and end up disappointed with their track performance.

Any and all opinions welcome!
Old 25 May 2013, 12:57 AM
myblackwrx
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Personally I prefer shocks and springs especially if it's to be a daily drive and tbhj think they would be fine for the track but I would suppose it depends on how track days you will be doing.

24mm ARB and ALK have transformed my Type R most stable in a straight line and more predicatble and easier to control when pushing that little bit too hard

Rear droplinks may be a good idea as well.
Old 25 May 2013, 02:36 AM
jura11
Scooby Regular

Hi there

Depends how and where car will be mostly on road or track etc and from this I would go.

ALK is in my opinion not worth to upgrade,you will not gain anything with this(only castor you can gain,for castor have search over here for Free castor mode),if you want to spend money on this I would go rather with uprated bushes and Roll centre/bump steer kit

ARB option,yes if its budget yes I would go down the yours suggested route

Coilovers vs Shock/spring combo,this depends on more factors,with some coilovers driving can be harsher and with better one yes driving will be better,but big minus on them is price

Jura
Old 25 May 2013, 10:41 AM
Ed-EG
Scooby Regular

That's some good news on the ARB, although mixed reviews on the anti lift kit? From what I've read through this forum and others I was under the impression that the anti lift kit was a good upgrade to go for?

Jura with regards to budget I don't mind saving some money and going for better parts (although £2000 coilovers will be overkill for my level of driving I think!) I was more under the impression that it would be better to get the small parts first before putting some coilovers on? Better to have the supporting mods and all that.

Finally on the bump steer kit and roll centre kit, I thought these were only really useful if you've lowered your car more than 30mm, and for now the plan is just to upgrade components, lower by a small amount (I want to drive over speedbumps still, not scrape over them) and have the car corner weighted, and see how that goes. Of course that's all only based on what I've read on here and on other forums so I could be wrong!

Thanks for the input guys, all taken on board.
Old 25 May 2013, 11:30 AM
myblackwrx
Scooby Regular

Perhaps it would be worth getting your car in the air and have a good look at any of the bushes etc and seeing what needs replacing as there is nothing more infuriating than starting changing bits of your car and finding other bits that can/need to be changed at the same time.
Old 25 May 2013, 02:54 PM
jura11
Scooby Regular

Hi there

I was been under impression too ALK will help,but from reading seems ALK only give you castor,you will gain more castor with rotating yours top mounts and free castor mode

About the putting small parts,as you know when you put some bits,you will need wheel alignment and when you will put again coilovers or new shock you will need to have again wheel alignment

Roll centre/Bump steer kit I would recommend on the any lowered car,simply is worth and working well

About the coilovers,really would try some and after that I would decide,some love theirs BC some hate them,some love the Racing Logic some don't,but definitely KW have good reviews,price wise,sometimes you can find KW V3 for good price(I've seen them around the £1.399)

And agree with above post about the polybushing the car,its worth to upgrade polybushes

Jura
Old 25 May 2013, 05:06 PM
Ed-EG
Scooby Regular

Thanks for the information guys! I think I'll leave the coilovers and lowering for a while yet, and just go with the ARB, ALK (and castor mod), and full bushing replacement. The cost of alignment isn't a huge factor for me, the only issue is that I can't afford to do coilovers as well at the moment, considering I am also getting brembos and a better TMIC put on!

With regards to the coilovers vs springs and shocks I've decided to save the pennies and get some decent coilovers now, I'll definitely remember to get the bump steer and roll centre kits to go with the coilovers when they go on though, thanks for all the advice once again!
Old 28 May 2013, 08:33 AM
firthy22
Scooby Newbie

I went with Prodrive Springs, 22mm rear ARB, rear alloy droplinks and ALK. Less understeer and less roll on high speed corners, car handles well but still some body roll when cornering at 80-90.

Only downside for a daily driver is the ALK makes the front a harsher ride with the poly bushes and you feel the potholes and bumps a lot more.

If I was doing it over again, I would go Prodrive Springs, 22mm front ARB, 24mm rear ARB and alloy drop links all round. Think that would be a good fast road setup, had coilovers previously and always found ride too harsh on our crap roads.