Notices

What coil overs

Search this Thread

Old 24 May 2013, 06:28 PM
blackpoolrock
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What coil overs

I know this had been done to death but what coilovers are you running and what are your thorghts ?

I was sold a set meant to be bc coil overs but there not there Apex.

Car is a 04 sti
Old 24 May 2013, 06:32 PM
Tidgy
Scooby Regular

Received 150 Likes on 115 Posts

shocks and springs on a road car, no need for coilovers
Old 24 May 2013, 06:39 PM
tarquin crispin
Scooby Regular

ive recently had kw v3 fitted and its night and day over shocks and springs 06 jdm widetrack sti
Old 24 May 2013, 06:53 PM
Tidgy
Scooby Regular

Received 150 Likes on 115 Posts

maybe compared with standard ones.

99% of people dont need coilovers, they just go for them for pub talk.
Old 24 May 2013, 11:38 PM
blackpoolrock
Scooby Regular

I will be tracking the car so I want coilovers ! Kwv3 are awesome but to expensive for me ! I was thinking bc - tien etc ?
Old 25 May 2013, 03:31 AM
mantazini
Scooby Regular

What Tidgy said, even if you're tracking your car...Coils will give you more udjustment settings etc., but what your aim is on the track? I was in the same boat and got KYB Ultra Sr's and Eibach springs(not perfect but not alot to chose from), car is a fast road ocasional track toy.... Is you car a track toy enough for coloivers?

If you cant afford good quality coils get good qualoity shocks ...

Old 25 May 2013, 09:08 AM
joe v3sti
Scooby Regular

Received 23 Likes on 17 Posts

As above I went for shocks and springs.
Speaking to Andy at Richard Henry Motorsport yesterday and he spoke very highly of BC coilovers

Joe

Trending Topics

Old 25 May 2013, 01:40 PM
F1 CJE UK
Scooby Regular

I am having a set of ohlins fitted, never had coilovers before so I am really looking forward to getting her back. Before then it was just prodrive Wrx springs and the car drove very well and handled 460 with no issue so I agree for most people it's overkill

KWs always get good feedback.

Last edited by F1 CJE UK; 25 May 2013 at 01:42 PM.
Old 25 May 2013, 03:02 PM
GuyG
Scooby Regular
Support Scoobynet!

MeisterR for another good budget coilover. Same quality as BC but better damping for UK roads IMHO.
Old 25 May 2013, 04:44 PM
New_scooby_04

Originally Posted by F1 CJE UK
I am having a set of ohlins fitted, never had coilovers before so I am really looking forward to getting her back. Before then it was just prodrive Wrx springs and the car drove very well and handled 460 with no issue so I agree for most people it's overkill

KWs always get good feedback.
Blimey mate, feeling flush?? They look lovely and are apparently a VERY good coilover for the road. Can you let me know what you think and if they're worth the outlay?

I agree that for most model Imprezas destined for predominantly road use, conventional springs and dampers are the best choice.

For the Hawk, however, the std set up is very poor IMHO/prodrive upgrade better, but still not great and there isn't really a good replacement using conventional springs and shocks so you're kinda compelled to go for Coilovers. I have BCs on the comfort springs and am impressed with them.
Old 26 May 2013, 01:07 AM
mantazini
Scooby Regular

As for BC's ...When i was looking for suspension replacement the aim was a bit less body roll when cornering but keeping ride quality when driving normally. The thing is, i have no doubt that the performance BC's give is a bang for buck, but having it as an everyday suspension in salty rainy conditions got me worried as their made using cheaper materials for sure. I can say it as it all reflects in a price as you say , you get what you pay for. another thing that i was concerned of is not only keeping the ride quality but the lengh of the shock strut itself, it's to short to absorb bumpy road conditions and wont stretch enough on fast winding roads, making you loose tyre/tarmac contact. However BC's offer huge range of spring rates and possibly you can work something out for you needs.
The early Bc range had a quality issue as well, rears were knocking and some guys had nightmare sorting that out. Bren@Apex and team were great helping out thought. The price and performance is very seductive, but for my personal circumstances i chose the shock combo as already had the springs for them.
Having a conversation on F Book on BC page they've offered me to try the BC's for free for a month and if i like them pay later, but i already had my suspension bought, otherwise i wouldn't turn the offer away and would explore for the sake of it how are they on everyday routine... I was surprised by their customer service and an offer they've made , that makes me want to come back to them at some point , it makes you feel that someone will look after you if you get in some difficult situation .

Old 28 May 2013, 12:27 PM
JamesDundee
Scooby Regular

Another vote for Meister Rs, fantastic coilovers. Had them on my Legacy.
What a lot of people seem to forget is that many buy coilovers for the extra lowering capabilities. So saying "dont bother for a road car" is a bit of a sh*t answer.
Old 29 May 2013, 06:20 AM
mantazini
Scooby Regular

Lowering car for what reason for looks? Then i agree, as for perfomance it's a total different story. By over lowering without suporting mods you'll ruin your cars handling.... 15-20mm the most , springs/shock combo can achieve this too.