Notices

HOw do i lose the boat like floatiness from Bug WRX?

Search this Thread

Old 14 May 2013, 10:58 PM
cubbs
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default HOw do i lose the boat like floatiness from Bug WRX?

Right guys, whats wrong with this suspension to give it this floaty feeling when cars doing 80mph+? (IOM nice slack speed restictions!)

Milage on car is 87k, ive only had the car for 6 month and theres no record of replaced shocks etc.

Are WRX meant to just be so wallowy?

Chassis wise the only changes ive made are fitting 18" Oz wheels.

Im a bit worried about buying coilovers as the roads here are shocking! Bumpy as hell, the road maintenance done by amateurs. Only the main arterial roads and TT course are in good nick.

Whats the options? Kayaba SR Ultra? People on here say Subaru OEM suspension is nearly sat on the bumpstops as is, so wouldnt the kayaba stuff be the same? If the problem is that my suspension is just worn out and new kayaba is SO much better then maybe thats the way to go.

If i spent some money and fitted front AND rear uprated ARBS and droplinks would that help with the floaty boat feeling?

My car is used sometimes as a family runabout so rock hard suspension like i had with a Nova on Spax suspension years ago is not really ideal.

Please help.......want to get this sorted for the summer.
Old 14 May 2013, 11:24 PM
GIBZY
Scooby Regular

Hi Mate, i had the same issue with my bug. i went down the road of Struts front and back. Sti shocks with Eibach springs Replaces front and rear anti roll bars and bushes. And the most important thing... Stuck with 17's, as i find the rid much more bearable on the welsh roads.
Old 15 May 2013, 01:27 PM
BlueBugEye
Scooby Regular

KYB's STI spec struts with prodrive springs. Also look at a 22mm rear ARB.
Old 15 May 2013, 01:30 PM
cubbs
Scooby Regular

BlueBugEye do you mean new Kyb struts like from Camskill or the oem sti type 2nd hand?
Old 16 May 2013, 12:01 PM
joshnosh
Scooby Regular

im new here but from experience on other cars my first port of call would be to change the bushes for powerflex ones as they will be wearing out now
next would be anti roll bars
Old 16 May 2013, 07:46 PM
dunx
Scooby Senior

You could get a full set of STI struts and springs from one of the breakers on here, then add a 22mm adjustable rear ARB and you are sorted.

I paid £100 for mine.

HTH

dunx
Old 16 May 2013, 07:55 PM
CREWJ
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by dunx
You could get a full set of STI struts and springs from one of the breakers on here, then add a 22mm adjustable rear ARB and you are sorted.

I paid £100 for mine.

HTH

dunx
This ^
Old 17 May 2013, 06:35 AM
BlueBugEye
Scooby Regular

Personally I'd buy new for suspension, you may get a set as knackered as you're taking off!
Old 18 May 2013, 12:06 AM
cubbs
Scooby Regular

Anyone know how the kyb shocks feel compared to oem suspension? I was driving on the same b road that mark higgins was using for shakedown pre tt couse record attempt a few years back today. Theres an onboard vid on youtube of him there. Anyway its a rough stretch of road, harsh as hell even on my standard wrx suspension. Sti suspension I presume is a LOT harder?
Old 18 May 2013, 01:48 AM
Ginola
Scooby Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by BlueBugEye
KYB's STI spec struts with prodrive springs. Also look at a 22mm rear ARB.
+1 for a really nice balanced setup

Personally wouldn't touch second hand suspension especially newage STI suspension "knock clonk knockedy knock knock!"

Originally Posted by cubbs
BlueBugEye do you mean new Kyb struts like from Camskill or the oem sti type 2nd hand?
He means a nice new set of KYB's from Camskill or the like + some prodrive/Eibach springs (these drop the car aprox 10/15mm (hardly noticeable) and firm everything up very nicely.
I personally would also opt for a set of camber bolts for the rear (about £15 quid or so) so you can dial in some camber and make sure you budget for a proper Geometry setup afterwards, this will transform the car.
look on here for fast road geometry setup's and take a note of the figures for the person doing the alignment. A stiffer 22mm adjustable ARB can be added afterwards as it doesn't effect your geometry.

Last edited by Ginola; 18 May 2013 at 02:00 AM.
Old 18 May 2013, 07:52 PM
dunx
Scooby Senior

Originally Posted by Ginola
+1 for a really nice balanced setup

Personally wouldn't touch second hand suspension especially newage STI suspension "knock clonk knockedy knock knock!"

He means a nice new set of KYB's from Camskill or the like + some prodrive/Eibach springs (these drop the car aprox 10/15mm (hardly noticeable) and firm everything up very nicely.
I personally would also opt for a set of camber bolts for the rear (about £15 quid or so) so you can dial in some camber and make sure you budget for a proper Geometry setup afterwards, this will transform the car.
look on here for fast road geometry setup's and take a note of the figures for the person doing the alignment. A stiffer 22mm adjustable ARB can be added afterwards as it doesn't effect your geometry.
Simple buy from a supplier with a good "rep".

I did ! "He" isn't going to dirty his "rep" for the sake of £100, he would rather have binned them.

S'net is here to name and shame as required.

So thanks to Drew for his help !

dunx

P.S. Always advise getting an adjustable bar as you can then fine tune the handling to suit.

Last edited by dunx; 18 May 2013 at 07:54 PM.