Notices

Strut clunk...has returned!! :(

Search this Thread

Old 25 January 2013, 11:44 PM
lewisdj
Scooby Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Strut clunk...has returned!! :(

Hey guys, I recently had the dreaded rear shock clunk so ive replaced my whole suspension setup with driftworks coilovers.

Much to my disappointment, the clunk is still there! Although not as bad ,its still there, im so annoyed by it. It definatly sounds like its coming from the same place, the top of the passenger side rear shock.

Ive had the garage that fitted the suspension remove the knocking shock and carry out a thorough check on the shock, all seems to be ok.

They did mention a bit of play in the rear anti roll bar bushes.

Would this cause a noise similar to a knocking strut in the cabin?

I need to get this sorted because its making me hate the car!!

Cheers Lewis
Old 25 January 2013, 11:52 PM
overboostUK
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Rear anti roll bar could indeed be the culprit, coupled with your old shock absorbers also needing replacing would have intensified the noise. Just to rule them out, I would get those bushes done and go from there...
Old 26 January 2013, 12:09 AM
lewisdj
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by overboostUK
Rear anti roll bar could indeed be the culprit, coupled with your old shock absorbers also needing replacing would have intensified the noise. Just to rule them out, I would get those bushes done and go from there...
Thanks for the advice, would a tired anti roll bar bush make such a loud noise on the top mount region in the cabin though? Its sounds exactly like the clunky shock .

But anyhow ill get that bush replaced, would you recommend any particular manufacturer of bush?
Old 26 January 2013, 06:37 PM
overboostUK
Scooby Regular

Are the shocks tight fitted correctly and tight?
Noises are hard to pinpoint, as what you think is one area, it's often another! Are the coilovers set up properly, mine made a clunking noise before lowering it down further...
Old 27 January 2013, 10:14 PM
lewisdj
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by overboostUK
Are the shocks tight fitted correctly and tight?
Noises are hard to pinpoint, as what you think is one area, it's often another! Are the coilovers set up properly, mine made a clunking noise before lowering it down further...
Yep i went back to the garage and they rechecked everything was nice and tight so no problems there. It really does sound like the problem i had before... What sort of clunking noise did yours make before you lowered it more? Could you hear it loudly in the cabin? What diference would lowering the car do to make the noise go?
Cheers
Old 28 January 2013, 02:59 PM
overboostUK
Scooby Regular

Mine when lowered just put my force on whatever was rattling before. And yes, you could hear it loudly in the cabin bud.
Old 28 January 2013, 08:12 PM
gazzawrx
Scooby Regular

Check the play in the anti roll bar bushes with the car sat on the ground, if theres any up-down or if the anti roll bar slides side to side then replace the bushes, poly bushes are a good idea on the anti roll bars, you have loads of different companies to try, powerflex and supeflex are the most common.
Old 28 January 2013, 08:22 PM
Dale17
Scooby Regular

I hate noises like this!... Soo hard to pinpoint.
Just hard my rear wheel bearing done, could have sworn it was the passenger side, but I was completely wrong and it was drivers side
Old 29 January 2013, 10:22 PM
lewisdj
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by gazzawrx
Check the play in the anti roll bar bushes with the car sat on the ground, if theres any up-down or if the anti roll bar slides side to side then replace the bushes, poly bushes are a good idea on the anti roll bars, you have loads of different companies to try, powerflex and supeflex are the most common.
Will check for play this weekend, the garage that inspected my coilovers did mention play in the rear anti rool bar bushes so ill double check. Im praying that there is where the noise is coming from as its really doing my head in now.

And Dale, i replaced a shot wheel bearing a couple of weeks ago that was making an horrendous noise! So i know your pain when it comes to annoyying noises!
Old 29 January 2013, 10:31 PM
lewisdj
Scooby Regular

Found some replacement bushes, happy with the price too, but does anyone know which size i need?

http://www.scoobyparts.com/acatalog/...NE_BUSHES.html