Notices

cluncking noise

Search this Thread

Old 16 April 2012, 10:22 AM
chet123
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default cluncking noise

Last year I upraded my suspension to a set of BC's. Very inpressed with them but the reason for upgrading was because of the common knocking noise from the rear suspension.

With the BC's they come with the top suspension mount bascially the whole kit. Has anyone, or is it common for the top suspension mounts to play or be faulty. I think I am beginning to hear a sort of cluncking noise from either the drivers front or rear side.

Need to get it checked out, but some days I can't hear anything where on other days can hear it. Its got to be suspension related and possibly could be the same problem as what the standard suspension had because of the way the rear damper sit that this could happen again.
Old 16 April 2012, 11:25 AM
MrNoisy
Supporting Member

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Never had this problem on my bug WRX that I'd fitted BC's to, and ran them for 2 years without issue before I sold the car.

I'd suggest checking your droplinks first as it's easy to mistake a broken or sheared bolt, or knackered bush on a droplink for a shock problem as they can knock in a similar fashion.
Old 16 April 2012, 12:08 PM
wrx kenny
Scooby Regular

i just had to replace one of my bc coilovers at rear as it was softer than soft which has caused a klunking noise on the other side , i cant seem to win with these bc s at the moment. it is irritating to keep hearing the noise i had thought about putting some sort of rubber band round the top of the coil but dont think this would stop the noise. but your not alone .Just replaced my droplinks last week with new whiteline stuff so its not that.

kenny
Old 16 April 2012, 02:01 PM
MrNoisy
Supporting Member

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by wrx kenny
i just had to replace one of my bc coilovers at rear as it was softer than soft which has caused a klunking noise on the other side , i cant seem to win with these bc s at the moment. it is irritating to keep hearing the noise i had thought about putting some sort of rubber band round the top of the coil but dont think this would stop the noise. but your not alone .Just replaced my droplinks last week with new whiteline stuff so its not that.

kenny
Kenny, did you also check the bushes and the mounts for the ARB on the rear?
If your BC's are new you could see whether they'll sort them out for you under warranty?
Which design are they? Mine had OEM style rubber top mounts - you shouldn't need rubber bands!!

Try Bren @ Apex - I'm sure he said they've had no complaints about them.
Old 16 April 2012, 09:22 PM
mark@wrx
Scooby Regular

Just come on to look for info on knocking BC's and found this thread. My hawkeye has had BC BR's fitted for around 16 months and the rear mounts are the OE type, not pillowball. The passenger side rear strut started knocking over the weekend and on first inspection it appears to be the top mount that has failed. Nut is tight but several mm vertical movement. Going to do some more checks tomorrow as I think the damper may be soft as well.
Old 17 April 2012, 07:18 PM
wrx kenny
Scooby Regular

i got them from apex of a group buy on here , because they had been on the car over a year they were out of warranty which i thought was kak as the have only done about 12000 tops. I know up here i am at least the third person that has got problems with their bc br series coilovers not good.

kenny
Old 02 May 2012, 11:20 AM
chet123
Scooby Regular

Seems its the drivers side front top mount of the BC's.