suspension problems

Search this Thread

Old 16 February 2012, 05:59 PM
bustaMOVEs
Scooby Regular

Received 30 Likes on 21 Posts
Default suspension problems

hi there sn people
just wanted some advise regarding swapping suspension.
got a blob wrx waggon and changed suspension from standard wrx to jdm sti bugeye.
changed the springs to eibachs and kept my origional top mounts so only using the jdm shocks off a 2002 bug.
problem is, i have slight knocking when driving around slowly (car parks, slow traffic, slow manouvering etc) from top mounts probably
is this a correct combination ive done.
my top mount were ok on my origional set up with no knocks etc.
the jdm set up is lovely alround just the slight knocking problem.
are the shocks wrong fittment for blobs, seems like the thread were the top mounts bolt on to are a bit too long for them to sit correctly. therefore knocking.
should i try and get shocks off a blobeye instead? etc.
dont want coilovers as driven as a daily car but wanted some shocks better than the standard wrxs to stop body roll
advice appreciated
Old 16 February 2012, 06:41 PM
bustaMOVEs
Scooby Regular

bump
Old 16 February 2012, 08:31 PM
bustaMOVEs
Scooby Regular

bump
Old 17 February 2012, 11:12 AM
Arnie_1
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

This is just the typical strut issue that STi struts are plagued with. Basically the struts don't receive any grease as its all been wiped away from the upper seals/bearings. Easiest solution is to disassemble your struts and pull the insert out. Clean out all the old hard grease out of the strut leg then replace with a quality grease. It will stay quiet for awhile.

Do a search on here, iwsti or NASIOC for "strut clunk" or "STi strut clunk". Lots of "how to's" out there.
Old 17 February 2012, 11:45 AM
bonesetter
Scooby Regular

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

https://www.scoobynet.com/suspension...hock-area.html

Here
Old 17 February 2012, 04:47 PM
Turbo Tone
Scooby Regular

Had the same problem

Try this http://www.scoobypedia.co.uk/index.p...wageRearStruts

I did this and problem solved
Old 21 February 2012, 06:32 PM
Dave Hedgehog
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hi guys,
I've got a MY05 (well, built late 04 but it's got a '5' in the VIN, so I guess that's an '05) Blob eye wagon.
The rear struts are knocking, I tried to order replacements from Camskill, KYB's, but they were very thorough, checked my order and cancelled it because KYB do NOT make direct swap replacements for my car!

Subaru want £880+ vat for a pair!

I had a poke around today, imagine my surprise when I found out that my car looks to have inverted struts on the rear:

Anyway, I would like to know:
1) is it possible to buy KYB struts for an '03 WRK Wagon, and fit the top mounts form an '03 as well, and have the suspension work as it should?
2) How long does re-greasing these inverted dampers work for? Is putting the grease nipple in and constantly re-packing them with grease the only solution?

Cheers!

Last edited by Dave Hedgehog; 21 February 2012 at 10:57 PM.
Old 21 February 2012, 07:38 PM
bustaMOVEs
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Dave Hedgehog
Hi guys,
I've got a MY05 (well, built late 04 but it's got a '5' in the VIN, so I guess that's an '05) Bug eye wagon.
The rear struts are knocking, I tried to order replacements from Camskill, KYB's, but they were very thorough, checked my order and cancelled it because KYB do NOT make direct swap replacements for my car!

Subaru want £880+ vat for a pair!

I had a poke around today, imagine my surprise when I found out that my car looks to have inverted struts on the rear:

Anyway, I would like to know:
1) is it possible to buy KYB struts for an '03 WRK Wagon, and fit the top mounts form an '03 as well, and have the suspension work as it should?
2) How long does re-greasing these inverted dampers work for? Is putting the grease nipple in and constantly re-packing them with grease the only solution?

Cheers!
i was gonna get kybs but they dont do em for blobs only upto 02 i belive.
well i couldnt find them.
might get tein monoflex as i belive they absorbe the rough roads very well compared to bc very hard ride.if the problem persists.
Old 21 February 2012, 07:43 PM
bustaMOVEs
Scooby Regular

thanks for the input guys but i belive its something to do with the top mount not sitting right, as the shocks are spot on tested on previous car prior to removal.
only clunks a bit when driving SLOWLY all other driving is quiet.
only thing i can do is try sti blobeye suspension with top mounts and see if they are the same.
dont know if jdm imports are right fitting for uk blob wrxs. although ive used my origional top mounts and they were ok on previous suspension.
Old 21 February 2012, 08:00 PM
grinch6301
Scooby Regular

My wagon was doing something similar after I changed to eibach springs, it was more of a creaking rather than a knock. I sprayed the shocks and top mounts with with silicone grease and it seems to have solved the problem
Old 21 February 2012, 08:17 PM
bustaMOVEs
Scooby Regular

yeah mines a creaking type noise wen slow menovering etc. but otherwise fine with no problems.
did u grease with shocks still on also were did u grease top mounts? underneath or top?
Old 21 February 2012, 09:21 PM
grinch6301
Scooby Regular

i had a can of grease so i sprayed under the boot of the shock and under the top mount. i also did the drop link & arb bushes to be sure. i was removing my winter alloys at the time so it was easy to do
Old 21 February 2012, 10:42 PM
bonesetter
Scooby Regular

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by grinch6301
i had a can of grease so i sprayed under the boot of the shock and under the top mount. i also did the drop link & arb bushes to be sure. i was removing my winter alloys at the time so it was easy to do
Unfortunately this does not help. The first time the damper body goes into the casing the greae is wiped completely off. In fact it collects dirt and road debris. It's best to keep this area completely clean

Old 21 February 2012, 11:12 PM
Dave Hedgehog
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I think you could also have run into this problem: http://forums.nasioc.com/forums/showthread.php?t=563382

There are differences between tophaps 2002/2003 and 2004. 2005 Blobeyes were different again.

camskill told me today that there were something like 50+ shock variants between 2000 and 2006 with these cars, so you have to be really careful matching them up. If you've taken 2002 Bugeye STi suspension, then not only might they be banging anyway (because all the inverted struts do it enventually, mine are) but the top mount may not properly locate the strut top.

It's a nightmare.
Old 22 February 2012, 07:57 PM
bustaMOVEs
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Dave Hedgehog
I think you could also have run into this problem: http://forums.nasioc.com/forums/showthread.php?t=563382

There are differences between tophaps 2002/2003 and 2004. 2005 Blobeyes were different again.

camskill told me today that there were something like 50+ shock variants between 2000 and 2006 with these cars, so you have to be really careful matching them up. If you've taken 2002 Bugeye STi suspension, then not only might they be banging anyway (because all the inverted struts do it enventually, mine are) but the top mount may not properly locate the strut top.

It's a nightmare.
now thats the exact problem i have cheers your a diamond
i did place a washer there because i noticed that problem with the shoulder, got rid of most of the problem but still creeks reversing off my drive.
now do i try get them special washers from somewere(do u know were)?
or do i go for blobeye shocks and top mounts.
the bug jdm shocks i have got are absolutley mint with no knocks or clunks as i checked prior to removal and im a bit concerned if i get some more then i dont know the condition of them until i fet em.