Notices

Comfortable but lowered shock/spring setup?

Search this Thread

Old 03 February 2012, 05:08 PM
peccy
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Comfortable but lowered shock/spring setup?

Currently running standard STi shocks and Prodrive springs on my classic STi5 Wagon, sits nice and quite low but a bit harsh ride.

What is a comfortable shock/spring setup but still i nice drop?
Old 04 February 2012, 01:40 PM
Markyscoob
Scooby Regular

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Did you change the bump stops? Not sure of classics but the Newage has inverted shocks and the bump stops are very close to normal ride height as they are progressive spring assisters, not just bottom out stops. If you haven't, then you may be sat on them with quite stiff rising rates on your springs and no way for the dampers to cope.

Prodrive sold bump stops to go with the springs.

I have just got BC ER shocks. Pricey, but with the damping wound off, they are a lot more comfortable than the original STi struts. I can control the bounce with the rebound and the "edge" to bumps with the seperate compression addjusters.

Magic Carpet ride or race-stiff. I run 6/5 springs and with a virtualy 50% increase it's still more comfortable. That's because I'm not sat on the damn bump stops all day long!
Old 04 February 2012, 01:59 PM
MR2Mk1
Scooby Regular

I wandered about this too since the previous owner of my turbo wagon lowered it by 30mm with springs but it makes the ride very still.
Old 04 February 2012, 08:32 PM
Nelly71
Scooby Regular

I've just got kyb agx and tein springs any feed bk on that set up ?
Old 05 February 2012, 09:12 AM
peccy
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Markyscoob
Did you change the bump stops? Not sure of classics but the Newage has inverted shocks and the bump stops are very close to normal ride height as they are progressive spring assisters, not just bottom out stops. If you haven't, then you may be sat on them with quite stiff rising rates on your springs and no way for the dampers to cope.

Prodrive sold bump stops to go with the springs.

I have just got BC ER shocks. Pricey, but with the damping wound off, they are a lot more comfortable than the original STi struts. I can control the bounce with the rebound and the "edge" to bumps with the seperate compression addjusters.

Magic Carpet ride or race-stiff. I run 6/5 springs and with a virtualy 50% increase it's still more comfortable. That's because I'm not sat on the damn bump stops all day long!
Good advice Marky, will get the bump stops checked out... cheers.
Old 05 February 2012, 10:43 AM
bonesetter
Scooby Regular

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

The V5/6 red STi inverted monotubed strut is a fine damper with decent control. I would say your comfort issue is coming from the STi springs. Really they are too hard for UK roads.

With the development of the P1 - suspension tuned for UK roads - the stock STi springs were replaced with a slightly softer rated spring, and with a little lowering too. The P1 spring lowers by 1" which means you get a nice amount of lowering, but not too much which would take the car into over-lowering and negative handling issues.

The ride with the P1 spring is firm, but comfortable. I run this combo on my Type R and it works very well. It gives more compliance than the STi combo, you get more 'float' on pitching B-roads

You can pick up used 'Prodrive' red coloured P1 springs. They are made by Eibach. Don't worry about mileage too much. You may lose a little height with the miles, but the poundage will still be there. Plus you can re powdercoat them if they're a little rusty.

Here's mine before fitting

Here's the car with the springs fitted

Last edited by bonesetter; 05 February 2012 at 10:47 AM.
Old 05 February 2012, 10:49 AM
bonesetter
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by peccy
Currently running standard STi shocks and Prodrive springs on my classic STi5 Wagon, sits nice and quite low but a bit harsh ride.

What is a comfortable shock/spring setup but still i nice drop?
LOL, just re-read your original post - what springs exactly do you have fitted now?
Old 05 February 2012, 03:09 PM
Arnie_1
Scooby Regular

The inverted STi struts can be a bit nuggety at slow speeds. You really need to get some speed/energy into them before they hit their stride. Its a bit of the "problem" of inverted monotube struts. There's usually a bit more stiction compared to a typical twin tube damper. You could look into using Koni dampers paired with your springs (P1s?). They are quite a bit smoother acting compared to the STi inverted strut. Problem is you will need a non-inverted strut to cut up as the Koni is an insert. So a bit more work to install.

Bonesetter - I'm just noticing this now on your pic of your strut assembly but I think you have the upper spring perch positioned improperly. Not sure if I commented on it in your older thread. If you want to check: reach underneath your fender and feel the top edge of the spring perch. There are 3 holes along the perimeter. The center hole has to be aligned facing outward and centered between the lower clevis "arms". Like I said, I can't recall if I commented on this before.
Old 05 February 2012, 03:58 PM
bonesetter
Scooby Regular

I might just have to fit the Koni's into the WRX struts I have to see what they're like

So you're saying if you do alot of 'knocking about' as apposed to 100miler hooning sessions you'll notice sticton more in these type struts?

Gotcha on the upper perch, and know exactly what you mean, it was sorted on fitting. And thanks for the head's up. I should have been more mindful when snapping that pic. You did pick up on that btw on the old thread
Old 05 February 2012, 06:03 PM
Arnie_1
Scooby Regular

Ah, at least I'm consistent! lol

yeah, its a common complaint on any of the STi's using the KYB inverted strut. That nuggety low speed ride. There's a few things that people have figured out that help such as using Group N tophats, somewhat stiffer spring rate, stiffer sidewall tires. With the stiffer tophats and tires you "eliminate" the undamped spring of the soft tophats and sidewalls. They actually let the damper do its work. The stiffer spring seems to be better matched to the damper. I remember its what I found going from an STi Spec C spring to the JDM Pink springs. Was about a 30lb difference in rate and it really smoothed the bobble head out. Those combined with Group Ns and stiffer tires.

Anyway, yeah, the Koni's are worth the experiment, that's for sure. They are move forgiving at low speed cobbled roads for instance. Plus you can adjust the stiffness (rebound). The Billies are actually a smoother strut than the V5 kayaba strut. I think they have better seal quality and valving properties. They don't seem to have as much stiction nor get the rear knocking often associated with STi struts.
Old 05 February 2012, 07:00 PM
peccy
Scooby Regular

the previous owner told me they were Prodrive springs, so i presume they are off a P1, or did Prodrive make different types? they are red if that helps.
Old 05 February 2012, 07:41 PM
Arnie_1
Scooby Regular

Prodrive only made the P1's for the Classic.