£1,000 to spend

Search this Thread

Old 01 June 2011, 01:55 PM
T5BNC
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default £1,000 to spend

Hi Folks,

I have a UK STI Hawk, which is my daily driver, and I have a green light to replace the already knocking rear struts. The only catch is i have a £1,000 to spend, which is to include fitting. What i am after is improved handling (not fused on ride quality as would rather have handling) and less roll. Therefore i was thinking BC coilovers with rear extenders, rear ARB, front strut brace and geometry tune? Would anyone recommend anything different / better?

Cheers

Ben
Old 01 June 2011, 02:12 PM
RB5 Boyo
Scooby Regular

That sounds spot on....BC's are great value for money and APEX Performance will keep you right if you buy off them through the Group Buy on here

Id try and squeeze in a set of alloy drop links all round too though....you will notice some difference with all that fitted

My 05 Blob Sti is getting BC's fitted and a full Geo set up today
Old 01 June 2011, 02:54 PM
T5BNC
Scooby Regular

RB5 cheers for that all i need to do now is find some one local ish to fit it all.
Old 01 June 2011, 06:37 PM
dunx
Scooby Senior

I would suggest an adjustable rear ARB, to fine tune it to your driving style...
Old 01 June 2011, 08:51 PM
bigarf
Scooby Regular

i'd go for teins rather than bc's.i have used teins for years on both my cars with no problems at all.i fitted bc's last year for a change and already one is leaking.the quality on the teins is far better.
Old 02 June 2011, 03:49 PM
T5BNC
Scooby Regular

Hi Bigarf I have looked at Teins, however given that additional cost i could probably get a better all round set up with the adjustable ARB (cheers dunx) alloy drop links and frount strut brace etc.. don't you think?

Originally Posted by bigarf
i'd go for teins rather than bc's.i have used teins for years on both my cars with no problems at all.i fitted bc's last year for a change and already one is leaking.the quality on the teins is far better.
Old 02 June 2011, 04:30 PM
MrNoisy
Supporting Member

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by dunx
I would suggest an adjustable rear ARB, to fine tune it to your driving style...
+1 and I'd add a set of droplinks and new nuts and bolts too.
Best handling mod and simple to fit yourself with hardly any tools.

I've run my BC's for the last 5 months and they aren't bad, and if you order them from Apex you can choose from a variety of different springs so you can get the ride compromise you want.
Given my experience I'd say go for 4/3 springs - I went for 5/4 and they're about the same as my old WRX shocks on Prodrive springs, but I'd prefer it a little softer tbh - maybe I just need to man up lol.

TEIN's are notoriously reported as being too hard and unforgiving on UK roads, but this is of course subjective on what you're used to and also what you're willing to put up with!
The advantage of course with the TEINs is you can go for more trick setups like EDFC.

If you're going to spend money on any handling mods, the rear ARB should be your first port of call, and I'd also say include an anti-lift kit in there too over a strut brace - you probably won't see much difference if you fit the latter as the newage cars are already a much stiffer shell than the classic.

Last edited by MrNoisy; 02 June 2011 at 04:31 PM.
Old 02 June 2011, 05:12 PM
The Trooper 1815
18 June 1815 - Waterloo

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

http://www.kyb-europe.com/shocks-agx.html

Try these with Eibach Springs. You'll have money left over for ARB's, drop links and geo set up.

Great on my V5 STi with P1 (Eibach) springs .
Old 02 June 2011, 09:35 PM
bigarf
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Bugeye_Scoob

I've run my BC's for the last 5 months and they aren't bad, and if you order them from Apex you can choose from a variety of different springs so you can get the ride compromise you want.
Given my experience I'd say go for 4/3 springs - I went for 5/4 and they're about the same as my old WRX shocks on Prodrive springs, but I'd prefer it a little softer tbh - maybe I just need to man up lol.

TEIN's are notoriously reported as being too hard and unforgiving on UK roads, but this is of course subjective on what you're used to and also what you're willing to put up with!
The advantage of course with the TEINs is you can go for more trick setups like EDFC.

If you're going to spend money on any handling mods, the rear ARB should be your first port of call, and I'd also say include an anti-lift kit in there too over a strut brace - you probably won't see much difference if you fit the latter as the newage cars are already a much stiffer shell than the classic.
4/3 springs would be softer than the stay puff marshmallow man.the op has already said he wants handling not ride quality.i have 8/6 springs on my bc's and still have the damping set anywere from 17 clicks from soft upwards,and still wouldnt say its too hard.
Old 02 June 2011, 10:00 PM
Arch
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by The Trooper 1815
http://www.kyb-europe.com/shocks-agx.html

Try these with Eibach Springs. You'll have money left over for ARB's, drop links and geo set up.

Great on my V5 STi with P1 (Eibach) springs .
They are no better than the standard shocks which are also made by KYB.

Pity the budget couldnt streatch to a set of KW Var 3's best value coilover available.
Old 02 June 2011, 10:18 PM
The Trooper 1815
18 June 1815 - Waterloo

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by Arch
They are no better than the standard shocks which are also made by KYB.

Pity the budget couldnt streatch to a set of KW Var 3's best value coilover available.
Really the standard ones are not adjustable and having used them for twelve months after standard Red STi shocks and springs they are far, far better.
Old 03 June 2011, 10:37 AM
Arch
Scooby Regular

oops didnt realise that was the adjustable KYB's.
Old 03 June 2011, 10:55 AM
T5BNC
Scooby Regular

Default SW

Hiya Folks some great feed back thanks for all the input guys. Lets just say i could strech another £400 bucks out of the one how must be obayed.

What do we recon on the Scooby world Stage 3 set up which includes the following..

BC Racing Coilover BR Series
Whiteline 22mm adjustable Rear Anti Roll bar and poly bushes
Whiteline 22mm adjustable Front Anti Roll bar and poly bushes
Whiteline Anti Lift Kit
4 Wheel laser Alignment
and fitting

We would have to chuck the rear control extenders in as well i recon?
Old 03 June 2011, 01:12 PM
Arch
Scooby Regular

If it was me, and I am assuming the car is a road car, I would get a set of
KW Var 3's prob around £1100, a rear 22mm adjustable roll bar try, and pick up 2nd hand to keep costs down, rear solid drop links and geo set up. If funds permit later then maybe look at the front roll bar and links. If you can do a bit of the work yourself the above is achievable within your budget.
Old 03 June 2011, 01:23 PM
dunx
Scooby Senior

For a road car I'd leave the front bar, I only did mine when I added R888's and it needed a touch more control.

dunx

P.S. All the above is wasted on a car fitted with cheap crappy tyres...
Old 03 June 2011, 02:31 PM
MrNoisy
Supporting Member

Originally Posted by bigarf

4/3 springs would be softer than the stay puff marshmallow man.the op has already said he wants handling not ride quality.i have 8/6 springs on my bc's and still have the damping set anywere from 17 clicks from soft upwards,and still wouldnt say its too hard.
As I said:
this is subjective on what you're used to and also what you're willing to put up with!
- so by all means please DO express your opinion but don't jump down my throat just because you happen to disagree - don't think I really deserved that! Yes, the OP said he wanted better handling, but he also said it's his daily driver. There's nothing wrong with warning him about the potential negative points.

I have 5/4's on mine but run the damping settings harder than your setup - around 10, but dialing the rate on the shocks much softer doesn't have that much effect in my own opinion - if anything it makes it too bouncy - I wouldn't want the springs any harder as this is my daily driver, and the roads around me aren't that well maintained.
If you have better roads where you are - lucky you. Some of us don't have that luxury thanks to clueless councils and highways departments

Originally Posted by dunx
For a road car I'd leave the front bar, I only did mine when I added R888's and it needed a touch more control.

dunx

P.S. All the above is wasted on a car fitted with cheap crappy tyres...
Absolutely. I have Whiteline 22mm front and rear bars, both adjustable.
The rear made 100% difference to the handling, the front - not so much.
Old 03 June 2011, 04:36 PM
bigarf
Scooby Regular

As I said: - so by all means please DO express your opinion but don't jump down my throat just because you happen to disagree - don't think I really deserved that! Yes, the OP said he wanted better handling, but he also said it's his daily driver. There's nothing wrong with warning him about the potential negative points.

I have 5/4's on mine but run the damping settings harder than your setup - around 10, but dialing the rate on the shocks much softer doesn't have that much effect in my own opinion - if anything it makes it too bouncy - I wouldn't want the springs any harder as this is my daily driver, and the roads around me aren't that well maintained.
If you have better roads where you are - lucky you. Some of us don't have that luxury thanks to clueless councils and highways departments
not jumping down anyones throat mate,i just think that choosing the 4/3 spring rates would be way too soft imo.and no, i too dont have the luxury of many nice roads were i live either.its pothole cental up here too.
Old 04 June 2011, 08:22 PM
T5BNC
Scooby Regular

Guys thanks for all the posts. Can anyone else think of a reason not to blag the wife and get the scooby world stage 3 set up? Done in a day job done
Old 05 June 2011, 07:18 AM
BlueBugEye
Scooby Regular

Sounds a good deal to me and not far off my setup.
Old 05 June 2011, 08:32 AM
chris84
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by T5BNC
Guys thanks for all the posts. Can anyone else think of a reason not to blag the wife and get the scooby world stage 3 set up? Done in a day job done
I'm not 100% sure you would need the anti lift kit, much better to have a good set of droplinks and ARBs instead.

scoobyworld kit includes a 22mm front & rear ARB, ideally you need a bigger arb on the rear. Better setup would be 24mm rear and 22mm front.

apex are doing the best deals on the BCs at the moment, £669 for what you are after. Alternatively they also sell Apex branded coilovers which are exactly the same as the BCs, made by BC just branded Apex. They're £559.

Front 22mm Adjustable Whiteline ARB - £115 balancemotorsport
Rear 24mm Adjustable Whiteline ARB - £162 balancemotorsport
CDF Front & Rear Droplinks - £159
Apex Coilovers (rebranded BCs) - £559
Fitting & 4 Wheel Laser Alignment - £200 at most

£1195 all in just saved you £160 over scoobyworld package and it would be a better setup.

Tell people where you live and they'll recommend a good place to have them fitted and the 4 wheel alignment. In West Yorkshire we have 'Richard Henry' who quoted £180 for the above work.

Hope that doesn't confuse things
Old 05 June 2011, 08:34 AM
chris84
Scooby Regular

almost forgot, agree with arf. 4/3 is way too soft, you need 5/4 which ranges from standard suspension feel on the softest setting upto very firm ideal for on the track.
Old 05 June 2011, 01:17 PM
Arch
Scooby Regular

5/4 is way to soft for any track work other than the very occaisional track day.
Old 05 June 2011, 01:31 PM
chris84
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Arch
5/4 is way to soft for any track work other than the very occaisional track day.
yes i agree with that but he's not mentioned heavy track use, suspect it's more for country road driving. 5/4 are good for fast road and occasional track.

think even the top settings on 5/4 would be too hard for fast country road driving. 4/3 are definitely not what you want.

I'd consider just having the coilovers fitted with a good set of summer tyres and a proper 4 wheel alignment then try that before buying anything else. You can fit droplinks and ARBs yourself at a later date if you feel they are really required. A properly done alignment will make a massive difference and you may be happy with that plus keeps you under £1000.

Last edited by chris84; 05 June 2011 at 01:34 PM.
Old 05 June 2011, 07:39 PM
gdaines
Scooby Regular

T5BNC I too have been looking at the Scoobyword offering but they're going to fit me a 24mm rear anti roll bar in the package cost. I'm not sure if they include adjustable anti roll bars or not so would appreciate some clarification on that if you have it done and what you think of the transformation. My Blobeye is now mostly used only on the track so in addition to the kit I've also looked at including extra heavy duty alloy rear droplinks as I already have solid fronts (£97.02), Whiteline roll-centre adjusters (£146.51) and a front chassis brace (£61.27). Adding a bit of labour for the extra bits and I'm talking in the region of £1700 for that setup so more than you want to spend I know, and that's before I even touch the brakes or tyres!

Last edited by gdaines; 05 June 2011 at 07:44 PM.
Old 05 June 2011, 09:59 PM
MrNoisy
Supporting Member

I'm not looking for a fight here guys, but for those of you saying 4/3 is way too soft, are you assuming this, or have any of you had a ride in a car running the BC 4/3 ratio springs?
I'm assuming 4/3's will be softer than my ride, which I think is firm, not hard, but definitely not soft either.

One potential downside of 4/3 - I do seem to recall Bren saying the shocks are slightly different in design, whereas if you go for 5/4's you could also get a set of harder springs if you later decided to do track day outings more regularly.
I run 5/4's on mine and I don't see why you're saying they wouldn't be any good for track days?
Mine is my daily driver and I reckon if I wound the damper settings harder I wouldn't have many issues - would just whack the front ARB up from medium to hard.

Yes, I might not be able to keep up with more race-car oriented builds, but that's not what I'm aiming for! Everyone to their own.
T5BNC - I'd suggest going for a passenger ride in a couple of cars mate and make your decision based on your own preference - I'm sure some people local to you would happily volunteer if you bought them a pint .

As I said it's all subjective - one person's soft is another person's hard, despite what people say.
I've had standard springs on mine, WRX shocks with Prodrive springs, and now coilovers.
I don't want the ride harder than it is at the moment, but the car does handle better.
I guess you need to decide how much you value comfort against cornering ability and decide where to compromise.
Good luck, let us know how you get on

Last edited by MrNoisy; 05 June 2011 at 10:04 PM.
Old 05 June 2011, 10:32 PM
T5BNC
Scooby Regular

Wow!! Thanks again guys really appreciate your feed back. I suppose what I am looking for is more confidence in throwing the car into a corner. For me it's all about the feel I love predicability ( a bit like driving in the snow at low speed back end steps out, a bit of over steer and boom back on track you know.) i can live with a hard ride when half asleep on a motorway in busy slow *** traffic.

I am not looking to lower her due to a very steep drive we have, but I love the idea of having options. The car is a keeper and long term Plans are to keep it as my weekend toy, so what I can do now saves a job later albeit on a medium size budget. What to do!!!!!!!!
Old 06 June 2011, 01:50 PM
MrNoisy
Supporting Member

Wow!! Thanks again guys really appreciate your feed back. I suppose what I am looking for is more confidence in throwing the car into a corner. For me it's all about the feel I love predicability ( a bit like driving in the snow at low speed back end steps out, a bit of over steer and boom back on track you know.) i can live with a hard ride when half asleep on a motorway in busy slow *** traffic.

I am not looking to lower her due to a very steep drive we have, but I love the idea of having options. The car is a keeper and long term Plans are to keep it as my weekend toy, so what I can do now saves a job later albeit on a medium size budget. What to do!!!!!!!!
If it's a weekend toy long-term then yes maybe go for a slightly stiffer setup, say 6/5, but I wouldn't recommend 8/6 unless as Bren from Apex puts it, they're for "More track focused cars or really hardcore road car driven only on smooth roads" .
Old 06 June 2011, 01:54 PM
Tidgy
Scooby Regular

Received 150 Likes on 115 Posts

kyb adjustable all the way had them and eibachs on my classic for 5 years now and they rock, coilovers are pointless on a road car, you will never change the settings, also i dont get nocking on mine
Old 06 June 2011, 02:26 PM
MrNoisy
Supporting Member

Originally Posted by Tidgy
kyb adjustable all the way had them and eibachs on my classic for 5 years now and they rock, coilovers are pointless on a road car, you will never change the settings, also i dont get knocking on mine
Don't KYB make the original shocks on all the newage cars mate?
i.e. The ones that do knock?
I know the ones you're recommending here aren't the same, and are a more expensive version, but think they're the same company aren't they?
Bit difficult to stomach that if indeed they are responsible for the issue that plagues most newage cars.
I know a fair few blobeye owners who've all had the knocking rear shocks problem.

Last edited by MrNoisy; 06 June 2011 at 02:29 PM.
Old 06 June 2011, 06:26 PM
dunx
Scooby Senior

If she's a keeper have a look at KW 3's, much more dosh, but in the next class for build quality and ride.

IMHO.

dunx

Quick Reply: £1,000 to spend