Notices

Bc coilovers on 02 sti bugeye.

Search this Thread

Old 01 May 2011, 09:21 AM
carl heath
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Bc coilovers on 02 sti bugeye.

I have a noise i would like some help with please,i had bc coilovers fitted about 2years ago and are fantasic along with rear arb droplinks and bump stear kit and anti lift kit all white line,had propper geometry done at chevron motorsport and handles like a dream with vreidsteins sessantras all round but this noise puzzles me. its from n/s front and is not a knock as such,when i go over a medium sized bump or too fast over a speed bump i get what sounds like something rattling in glove box and as if the compression of the shock and spring makes a ratcheting noise(sorry cant explain any better )i have took wheel of and nothing jumps out at me but i can twist the spring round with my hand,should it be like this ? I dont know,im gonna get it to chevron motorsport as simon is ace with this stuff but it would mean a day off work with getting there and back (im mega busy at work so cant get the time off just yet)so wondered if any one else had heard of this,cheers carl
Old 04 May 2011, 07:35 PM
jh1
Scooby Regular

it,s probably a slight movement of the top of the spring. mine does this occasionally which causes what i would describe as a "twang" if that makes sense lol
Old 04 May 2011, 07:40 PM
Lofty91
Scooby Regular

Did you fit the coil overs or was it Chevron?

How much preload was put on them?
Old 06 May 2011, 07:00 AM
BlueBugEye
Scooby Regular

Sounds like the spring pre-load has reduced/loosened. I believe the lower spring platform should be hand tight + a couple of turns with no load on the shock. I can check the instructions if you like. Or compare sides, is the passenger side as loose?
Old 07 May 2011, 11:57 PM
carl heath
Scooby Regular

hi folks - only just returned from a lovely week in devon so not been on scoobynet all week.
i have not looked at the drivers side spring yet as i only had a little check over the car for half hour before we left for devon.it was chevron that fitted the coilovers and did the geometry.ill give simon a call monday but just wanted any feed back on this noise first,all three other corners are fine and i dont get any noise / knock from them,but the nearside front is weird its like something shutting say a cabinet in kitchen type noise or as if something clicking in glovebox,it happens more over troughs and peaks in the road not so much the pot hole which is a sudden bump,the suspension going up and down over a peak or dip in road makes it happen,sounds weird but cant explain any better sorry.will check other side on monday at work and call simon,cheers carl.

the preload theory may be right as most of the stuff in that area is fairly new,ball joint, droplinks,etc.... so hopefully it can be dialed out at chevron.

Last edited by carl heath; 08 May 2011 at 12:03 AM. Reason: added stuff
Old 08 May 2011, 09:51 AM
Lofty91
Scooby Regular

Take off your wheels and measure the springs, that will give an indication of the amount of preload and could rule it out. Obviously if they are the same at both sides the preload is ok.
Old 09 May 2011, 07:22 AM
carl heath
Scooby Regular

Ok will have a look. Today at work cheers
Old 09 May 2011, 03:20 PM
Ti22
Scooby Regular

shouldn't be able to turn spring easily.. I reckon as others you'll need to tighten the spring preload on that side..
Old 13 May 2011, 11:19 PM
TylerDurden
Scooby Regular

Hello m8,

I had the same from the corner, turned out the top nut can work itself loose, had it fixed today, its the one under the twiddly **** thing to adjust the coilovers. took 10 mins and no noise now.
Old 14 May 2011, 12:02 AM
carl heath
Scooby Regular

Well i spoke to chevron motorsport and he said the springs can be moved around as they are not fixed liked normal ones,he said maybe the top nut had worked loose or sometimes can snap,so im gonna check those and if i have no joy ill go and get him to look it over.

To last post: ill have a look at that mate tomoz,does that adjuster need removing to get access to nut ?
Old 14 May 2011, 12:12 PM
TylerDurden
Scooby Regular

It is mate, its a bit deceptive as it doesnt turn by hand but will with a spanner.