Notices

coilovers or springs

Search this Thread

Old 13 April 2011, 04:44 PM
peter a
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default coilovers or springs

Hi all I'm going to give my suspension some upgrades, I'm thinking ARB's front and rear, anti lift kit, poly bush kit and then either Eilbach springs or coil overs, which do people think to go for and if coil overs should i go for

BC racing
KWv3
Ohlins

or would you recommend something else.
Old 13 April 2011, 07:54 PM
Barty77
Scooby Regular

i put this on mine and can highly recommend!!

http://www.scoobyworld.co.uk/catalog...oducts_id=1578

it totally transformed the car and scoobyworld set it up perfectly.
Old 14 April 2011, 10:55 AM
digger64
Scooby Newbie

Hey fella.
I have looked at this myself but not got the funds together yet.Looks a good bit of kit.Did you hop on the boat and make a trip out of it?.just wondering how long it took them to fit it for you.?
Old 14 April 2011, 11:06 AM
MrNoisy
Supporting Member

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

I have that exact same setup, but I upgraded a piece at a time, and previously had Prodrive springs on WRX struts.
I also have solid rear droplinks to boot.

My recommendation would be go coilovers.
The thing is that your dampers will be the weak link in the equation, especially if they've covered tens of thousands of miles, so replacing the lot with fully adjustable units is the better bet.
With BC's you can choose a spring rate too.
I went for the Apex kit with 5/4 spring rate but if you want WRX comfort levels, go for a 4/3 rate.

Ohlins are effing expensive, whilst KW's make the original car shocks anyway I believe?

If you want better handling, the best and first mod you should do is a new rear ARB and drop links - it will transform the handling of the car and is easily the best spent money.
Old 14 April 2011, 12:01 PM
Barty77
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by digger64
Hey fella.
I have looked at this myself but not got the funds together yet.Looks a good bit of kit.Did you hop on the boat and make a trip out of it?.just wondering how long it took them to fit it for you.?

Sure did i got there for 830 in the morning and was gone by 3-330 in the afternoon. I did get the walboro fitted at the same time as the seats need to come out. that weekend cost be nearly £2K by the time i paid for digs, boat etc. But worth every penny IMO. I was worried about the manx roads not being smooth, however the car is now awesome and i can fling it between the hedges and know it handles ... im no mcrea or burns but i do like to drive it as my subaru intended

Nowt nearby mind, however if you ask Neil he will get one of the lads to drop you in town and you can have a mooch about .. or you can watch them add the bling and drool
Old 14 April 2011, 12:49 PM
digger64
Scooby Newbie

You can't argue with that amount of time to fit everything.Might have to flog the wife's rings,she doesn't go out much...Got your PM and thanks for the offer.Off my feet at the mo after an op but just might take you up on that when i'm up and about.
Old 14 April 2011, 12:57 PM
Barty77
Scooby Regular

You can't argue with that amount of time to fit everything.Might have to flog the wife's rings,she doesn't go out much...
sounds like a plan...

im getting the car mapped in the UK too come beginning of may
Old 14 April 2011, 01:18 PM
MrNoisy
Supporting Member

Originally Posted by Barty77
Sure did i got there for 830 in the morning and was gone by 3-330 in the afternoon. I did get the walboro fitted at the same time as the seats need to come out. that weekend cost be nearly £2K by the time i paid for digs, boat etc. But worth every penny IMO. I was worried about the manx roads not being smooth, however the car is now awesome and i can fling it between the hedges and know it handles ... im no mcrea or burns but i do like to drive it as my subaru intended

Nowt nearby mind, however if you ask Neil he will get one of the lads to drop you in town and you can have a mooch about .. or you can watch them add the bling and drool
That's 7 hours to do front and rear anti roll bars, shocks and an anti lift kit, followed by geometry - not bad that, but not that amazing tbh.
GRD did my front anti roll bar and anti lift kit in about 2 hours with quite a lot of chatting during that! I reckon if I hadn't have chatted so much to him it would've taken him 90 mins or less.
I did my own shocks in about 7 hours without ramps etc etc. I'd have expected a well equipped shop to have been done with that by about lunchtime wouldn't you?
Similarly, rear ARB is a very quick job - did mine in about 45 mins.

Last edited by MrNoisy; 14 April 2011 at 01:20 PM.
Old 14 April 2011, 02:13 PM
fawor
BANNED

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

bren apex(you can find him here group buy)- bc coilovers near around 660 delivered with camber adjustable rear top mount camber and extenders plus 460 anti lift kit stage 1 from powerstation(ask them about 24mm rear sway bar) 120 fitting coilovers.
1240 total and worth 60 rear top mounts. vs scoobyworld(price from a moon)
120 difference plus 60 mounts You have money on fuel rear alloy drop links and steering rack bushings
Old 14 April 2011, 04:33 PM
MrNoisy
Supporting Member

Originally Posted by fawor
bren apex(you can find him here group buy)- bc coilovers near around 660 delivered with camber adjustable rear top mount camber and extenders plus 460 anti lift kit stage 1 from powerstation(ask them about 24mm rear sway bar) 120 fitting coilovers.
1240 total and worth 60 rear top mounts. vs scoobyworld(price from a moon)
120 difference plus 60 mounts You have money on fuel rear alloy drop links and steering rack bushings
£120 is a very good price to fit the coilovers if that includes geometry
I was actually pretty lucky, I got my coilovers new for somewhere in the region of £550, but didn't go for adjustable rear topmounts.
Whiteline Front 22mm ARB - £80 from Scoobyparts.
Whiteline rear 22mm ARB - £105 from Demon Tweeks (years ago mind!).
Powerflex rear drop links - £25 group buy
Whiteline ALK - £100 new in the Apex part-out.

£860.
If you can get the bits second hand or just get lucky you'll get a bargain like I did.
I got the front ARB, ALK and geometry done for a very decent price (I fitted the coilovers myself beforehand, and also fitted the rear ARB and droplinks myself a few years back - no problem - really easy), and the lot over a number of years has cost me just over £1k (I think about £1010).
Shows if you shop around you can defo save yourself some cash.

Last edited by MrNoisy; 14 April 2011 at 04:55 PM.
Old 14 April 2011, 04:41 PM
fawor
BANNED

geometry is included in stage 1 i'm afraid
approx 1240 is for full set
fit coilovers only is not worthy i think

Last edited by fawor; 14 April 2011 at 04:45 PM.
Old 14 April 2011, 05:14 PM
MrNoisy
Supporting Member

geometry is included in stage 1 i'm afraid
approx 1240 is for full set
fit coilovers only is not worthy i think
Erm...Fawor, I think you misunderstood my comment.
I know you're saying £1240 is for the full setup, and I'm not saying fitting coilovers is the only thing you should do - in fact if you re-read my post you'll probably note that I said the best bang for the OP's buck would be a rear ARB and drop links.

I was trying to make sense of the prices you'd injected throughout your post as I think you may have your prices wrong?
Perhaps this makes it simpler (from the PowerStation website):
- Rear Adjustable Roll Bar (Americans call them "sway bars")
- Anti-Lift Kit
- Front Adjustable Roll Bar
- 4-Wheel Alignment
£460* + VAT.
(* Please note that on some WRX models you may require new links which are £40 + VAT per set for Steel Links or £70 + VAT per set for Alloy Links.)

That price doesn't include links, and with 20% VAT comes to £556.60.
So you then add £660 for your coilovers from Apex.
That's £1216.60.
And then £120 for coilover fitting (assuming I'm interpreting the various figures in your post correctly)?
So £1336.60? Or did you get some sort of different deal from PowerStation?
If it's the former, then it's actually only £20 cheaper...

Last edited by MrNoisy; 14 April 2011 at 06:37 PM.
Old 14 April 2011, 06:52 PM
fawor
BANNED

ok plus vat we will do it again
scoobyworld 1356 price without camber plates rears and no extenders.
apex powerstation 560 the same coilovers without camber plates rears 60 add and without extenders 27.50 plus 556 stage1 plus120 fitting coilovers
560+556+120=1236 vs 1356 = 120 save better now
on scoobyworld price you have camber plates(or drop link),extenders,steering rack bushings no fuel depends from deal with apex of course
i bought everything with job done on 4 days if i will spend years for collection it will be below 1000
my rear 24mm swaybar cost 120 find me prices for 80 even 100 dont dream mate
i can write here i had alk for 90 or anything i wrote prices on which are correct on that moment but still cheaper then scoobyworld

Last edited by fawor; 14 April 2011 at 07:07 PM.
Old 14 April 2011, 07:34 PM
Barty77
Scooby Regular

apex powerstation 560 the same coilovers without camber plates rears 60 add and without extenders 27.50 plus 556 stage1 plus120 fitting coilovers
on scoobyworld price you have camber plates(or drop link),extenders,steering rack bushings no fuel depends from deal with apex of course
i bought everything with job done on 4 days if i will spend years for collection it will be below 1000
i can write here i had alk for 90 or anything i wrote prices on which are correct on that moment but still cheaper then scoobyworld
mine are fully adjustable top mounts all round and i never paid any extra for that, i only paid £24 extra for the extenders
Old 15 April 2011, 12:08 AM
MrNoisy
Supporting Member

Sorry but this post just doesn't make any sense...
Old 15 April 2011, 12:17 AM
fawor
BANNED

Originally Posted by Bugeye_Scoob
Sorry but this post just doesn't make any sense...
sense is still 120 in the pocket.

Yours is without logic put prices from years ago
Old 15 April 2011, 09:44 AM
MrNoisy
Supporting Member

Angry

sense is still 120 in the pocket.

Yours is without logic put prices from years ago
Your logic on the pricing from Powerstation does seem correct....but...as I stated in my original post you ****ing retard, some of the prices I stated on my parts were from a few years ago.

I got the front anti roll bar for £80 in a clear out special offer from Scoobyparts last year, and the ALK from Bren @ Apex in a part clear out which was in the for sale forum on here.
What do you want - the ****ing thread URL - because if it will shut you up I'll go and find it.
Whether you believe it or not, I don't actually give a **** - you'll undoubtedly carry on spouting utter horse**** like you did when I asked a question about brakes on another forum.
Just accept the fact that some people wait for bargains to come up and don't just buy a package off the shelf - because we can't afford to - and those bargains DO come up.

Do yourself a favour - if you know nothing about these cars then do the rest of us all a favour and save your ill formed, poor opinions for yourself. Anyone can recycle crap you read off the web (which appears to be all you post) - how about sharing what you've done to the car yourself.
I cannot believe how totally rude you've been considering that you PM'd me in the past asking me for my help.

Rant over - sorry everyone else, but this guy's done my head in with the crap he's posting.

And apologies to the OP for the hijacking of this thread by this troll.

Last edited by MrNoisy; 15 April 2011 at 11:30 AM.
Old 15 April 2011, 12:07 PM
digger64
Scooby Newbie

Hey Barty77,now look what you started....
To be fair fellas its each to their own.We don't have much,if any,choice over here so most of us go shopping across the water and its all seen over the interwebby so if the prices are decent,the place convenient and the guy on the phone is pleasant then that will do just right..Your money,your choice.And if your happy with what you get,jobs a good'un.
Old 15 April 2011, 01:02 PM
MrNoisy
Supporting Member

Hey Barty77,now look what you started....
To be fair fellas its each to their own.We don't have much,if any,choice over here so most of us go shopping across the water and its all seen over the interwebby so if the prices are decent,the place convenient and the guy on the phone is pleasant then that will do just right..Your money,your choice.And if your happy with what you get,jobs a good'un.
No issues with that statement at all mate.
I was just trying to point out that fawor's statement that you couldn't get parts for that cheap was total nonsense.
It's quite funny that he's asked my advice in the past and now is just making out like he knows everything about Scoobs - sorry but people like that really drive me nuts.

All of my stuff I listed was purchased over the phone from Apex or on the Internet via Scoobyparts, so no special circumstances I assure you - I've just been lucky - >unbelievably< lucky it would seem to some
It's definitely worth shopping around online, Scoobyparts in my experience tend to be cheaper than Scoobyworld, and of course you've always got Jap Performance Parts for second hand stuff if you can't afford new or can't find new at a price you want, and ImportCarParts if you want something OEM for a good price.

Last edited by MrNoisy; 15 April 2011 at 01:04 PM.
Old 15 April 2011, 04:25 PM
digger64
Scooby Newbie

Understand completely.just out of interest,have you used Jap Performance Parts and if so any good?..
Old 15 April 2011, 09:31 PM
IainMilford
Scooby Regular
Support Scoobynet!

Received 90 Likes on 63 Posts

Understand completely.just out of interest,have you used Jap Performance Parts and if so any good?..
I haven't used them but some of their prices look a bit high on their website
Old 16 April 2011, 12:08 AM
MrNoisy
Supporting Member

Originally Posted by IainMilford
I haven't used them but some of their prices look a bit high on their website
The website isn't always that up to date and they don't normally refuse reasonable offers.
Not the cheapest but handy if you don't want to pay dealer prices.
I've bought side skirts, shocks and a boot carpet from them in the past.
Old 16 April 2011, 07:22 AM
peter a
Scooby Regular

Wow, that was a fun read!

Back on topic thanks for all the advice given, I am a bit wary of the BC stuff as it seems quite cheap, is the KW or Ohlins stuff much better if budget was no issue?
Old 16 April 2011, 12:46 PM
MrNoisy
Supporting Member

Originally Posted by peter a
Wow, that was a fun read!

Back on topic thanks for all the advice given, I am a bit wary of the BC stuff as it seems quite cheap, is the KW or Ohlins stuff much better if budget was no issue?
Ohlins are supposed to be the nuts mate if you can afford them.
Or considered AST's?
Checked and found that it's KYB that make the OEM shocks, not KW, but I've not read or heard much about them so can't offer any opinion I'm afraid.
Suggest you post a separate thread asking owners running Ohlins or KW's to state their experiences.

From personal experience, I've had the BC's on my car for over 3 months with no issues, and know several other owners who run them and all are happy.
Whilst the early BC's seemed to have a few niggles, the latest versions seem to be good value for money, and as stated, they do come in 3 guises.
If budget is not an issue, I suspect you might want to go for something a bit more hardcore

AST's were proven on the Litchfield Imports / Powerstation models, but you might also want to have a look and see what RCM run on the Gobstopper, or what Dunx runs on his as these are all proper proven track cars.

Last edited by MrNoisy; 18 April 2011 at 10:56 AM.
Old 18 April 2011, 09:06 AM
Kieran_Burns
Scooby Regular
Support Scoobynet!

If you two would like to take your argument somewhere else?
Old 18 April 2011, 10:51 AM
MrNoisy
Supporting Member

Originally Posted by Kieran_Burns
If you two would like to take your argument somewhere else?
Thanks Kieran
Old 18 April 2011, 11:36 AM
Berks-Jack
Scooby Regular

I think GRD do a package for the AST's
Old 18 April 2011, 12:55 PM
MrNoisy
Supporting Member

Originally Posted by Berks-Jack
I think GRD do a package for the AST's
Probably Jamie - James definitely does TEIN packages.
Also, we haven't mentioned CUSCO.
Old 18 April 2011, 01:06 PM
IainMilford
Scooby Regular
Support Scoobynet!

Received 90 Likes on 63 Posts

I'm running tein springs on my wrx, 24mm rear arb, 22mm front arb, solid alloy droplinks and anti lift kit. The handling is awesome, I know coilovers would be better but my budget couldn't stretch to that initially.

I use my car on track, I used it when completely standard and the handling was questionable, loads of understeer and bodyroll in the corners, then with just the springs and it was improved quite a lot, less understeer but still a lot of bodyroll, then added the arb's and antilift kit and the car is completely transformed! It is sooooo much easier to keep to a nice line on track, car is so much better through the corners.

Coilovers will take my car to the next level but I am very happy with how it is at the moment

As has already been said a rear arb and drop links will transform your car, if you are going for track days then fit coilovers if your budget will allow, if its just for lowering and looks then springs will do the job and save you some cash.
Old 18 April 2011, 01:38 PM
Berks-Jack
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Bugeye_Scoob
Probably Jamie - James definitely does TEIN packages.
Also, we haven't mentioned CUSCO.

Just had a quick look and the AST's are on there (as are the TEIN'S), would advise sitting down before opening the link to the stage 4 handling pack though

I didnt realise Cusco did parts for the newage, i thought they only catered for the classics

Last edited by Berks-Jack; 18 April 2011 at 01:40 PM.

Quick Reply: coilovers or springs