AST users

Search this Thread

Old 20 November 2009, 09:01 PM
Stevesbluewrx
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default AST users

How many times have you had problems?

I'm now due my third rebuild on the O/S Front!! It's starting to become a yearly thing popping over to see Curtis of AST adn it's getting a little annoying now.

Also have had the n/s rear rebuilt too end of last year.

Am I the only person to get problems on the AST's or just bloody unlucky.

Steve
Old 02 December 2009, 06:39 AM
cster
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Had to have NSR rebuilt (rumble strip/track abuse?) and for some reason the NSF ride height is about one inch higher - haven't figured this one out yet.
Had them for about two years and do 20 k a year.
Old 02 December 2009, 05:25 PM
D1CCY
Scooby Regular

I had bad clonk in OSR last year at about 18 months old. Curtis rebuilt both rears and found fault was loose nut on shim pack. Quite expensive.
Old 06 December 2009, 10:37 AM
malpas1977
Scooby Regular

Default AST

i have just spent the best part of £1400 having my suspension rebuilt on the understanding that " you get what you pay for " i hope this is true. i diddnt think my 1st set done too bad lasting 5 years and many track days including a trip to the ring. my new setup consists of full uprated service inc teflon strips, Ebach springs, adjustable top mounts, pluss labour. Could i have got better for my money as AST is rated one of the best ??
Old 06 December 2009, 01:19 PM
a16pse
Scooby Regular

well if AST are the best and getting problems i wont bother then, when you change suspension and pay out all this money you should not get any problems, is it worth all the hastle you get .
Old 06 December 2009, 01:23 PM
a16pse
Scooby Regular

Every time i read or hear someone has bought a coil over kit there is allways a problem and ends up costing you more what ever the make they are, are they all rubbish or are you all unlucky , glad i went down the upgrading my springs route i can tell you , lot less hastle.
Old 06 December 2009, 01:24 PM
SPEN555
Scooby Regular

I have had the full T25 setup on my car for over 4 years and 25k plus miles. No problems with the AST's (touch wood).
Old 06 December 2009, 05:00 PM
malpas1977
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by a16pse
Every time i read or hear someone has bought a coil over kit there is allways a problem and ends up costing you more what ever the make they are, are they all rubbish or are you all unlucky , glad i went down the upgrading my springs route i can tell you , lot less hastle.
depends on what the car is getting used for. i track my car so the uprated spring route was not the way forward for me.think i would change the ARB's as well as the springs for road use adjustable top mounts with coil overs make a very big difference on the track
Old 06 December 2009, 06:26 PM
TimH
Orange Club

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

4 years and about 50,000 miles on my set, including 8 or 10 trackdays. When I first got the car (AST's fitted by previous owner) I was concerned about crashing from the rear, but it seemed to go away of its own accord.

Curtis advises that they need servicing at about 50k miles, especially the rears, so I will get mine done next year.

Basically, no complaints. love 'em to bits, and - along with ARB and ALK - would recommend them to anyyone.

Last edited by TimH; 06 December 2009 at 06:47 PM.
Old 06 December 2009, 06:45 PM
richie001
Scooby Regular

My brother has had problem with the AST which i had fitted when i own the car.I had the O/S/R
rebuild because it was leaking.But brother had to have the springs replaced on the back,both top mounts on the rear have been replaced,both rears have been rebuild due to leaks,all four collars cut off and replaced with new designed Collars,The screws keep coming out of n/s/r and n/s/f of new collars(should have failed the MOT) and the coating on the new springs and old springs is coming off and today it looks like the o/s/r has dropped.Don't get me wrong there good at what they do but the build quality is shocking.
Old 06 December 2009, 07:41 PM
apac
Scooby Regular

i bought my Spec C earlier this year and the last owner had 3 rebuilds on the AST coilovers. i am now getting a continuous clunking and creeking from the rear. Does this sound like they need another rebuild? i will be going to Lichfield Imports in few weeks to get a service done so will get them looked at.

Andrew
Old 06 December 2009, 07:57 PM
malpas1977
Scooby Regular

so is it the product or the person building them that's at fault ?? i only intended getting the shocks serviced, but after taking the car for MOT the guy found nsf spring had broken as-well as them leaking oil. i put this down to me spending most my track time on three wheels.so with the advice of the builder(no names) i have now got stiffer springs all round with uprated internals. i hope this lasts as my motto is "do it right 1st time or don't bother doing it at all. GOOD LUCK TO ALL AST USERS
Old 06 December 2009, 08:13 PM
PAS
Scooby Regular

well i think i use mine far harder than most.
classic with full race set up adj top mounts

40 plus track days plus 4 years of racing in the combe saloon cup championship and mine have never missed a beat.
Old 06 December 2009, 08:19 PM
bushiwarrior
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by a16pse
well if AST are the best and getting problems i wont bother then, when you change suspension and pay out all this money you should not get any problems, is it worth all the hastle you get .
AST are not the best mate EXE-TC seem to have a better rep hence why RCM and Zen both run it and i have also installed it recently and find it an awesome peice of kit fully stainless and roughly the same price as AST with the whiteline add ons plus the euro conversion.
Old 06 December 2009, 09:46 PM
malpas1977
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by PAS
well i think i use mine far harder than most.
classic with full race set up adj top mounts

40 plus track days plus 4 years of racing in the combe saloon cup championship and mine have never missed a beat.
grate stuff that's putting things to the test i reckon. i hope mine last as long as yours, i didn't have any problems with my 1st set until 5 years old, i thought this wasn't too bad. only time will tell i guess