Notices

Powerflex Rear Drop Links - A Warning

Search this Thread

Old 13 August 2009, 10:17 PM
Cannon Fodder
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Powerflex Rear Drop Links - A Warning

Whilst having my car detailed today I had to remove the wheels and when I took off the O/S/R wheel what did I find? The top bush of the link arm was totally missing and the anti-roll bar was in effect floating at the top.

These links have only been on the car for around 8 months and the car only passed its first MOT test 6 weeks ago when I presume that they would have been checked and found to be ok.

I am getting them replaced tomorrow with Whiteline links but I thought I would post up on here just so that other forum members with the same Powerflex links might like to check them just to ensure the same thing does not happen to you.

Old 14 August 2009, 12:00 PM
The rookie
Scooby Regular

Bolts snapped or nut undone is the Q I guess, alloy link looks OK, so probably not fair to blame powerflex?

Simon
Old 14 August 2009, 01:50 PM
Cannon Fodder
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by The rookie
Bolts snapped or nut undone is the Q I guess, alloy link looks OK, so probably not fair to blame powerflex?

Simon
Ok I can understand what you are saying but it is just as probable that the bush failed causing the bolt to flop about and the nut to unwind.

I am not looking to blame Powerflex but merely to warn others of what happened to me before it happens to them. I did incidentally check the nuts after 150 miles just to check they were still tight.
Old 14 August 2009, 02:32 PM
R1CH D
Scooby Regular

Bloody hell ty, explains why you were so slow over the blacks. lol.
Old 14 August 2009, 02:47 PM
mshill
Scooby Regular

That's bloody strange
how would the bolt unwind, did you have the bolts with the nylon lock thingy?

reason i ask is i have the very same set up, need to check they are okay!

also the bush would not be able to pop out 1st as there should be a large washer to prevent this?

take a picture of the good side
Old 14 August 2009, 02:59 PM
Cannon Fodder
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by welshy12
Bloody hell ty, explains why you were so slow over the blacks. lol.
I thought the handling was a bit off

Originally Posted by mshill
That's bloody strange

also the bush would not be able to pop out 1st as there should be a large washer to prevent this?

Both links have been changed and I am picking the car up later, I will take some pics of both links and post them up.

The nuts were nylocs so they should have not unwound so it is quite probable that the bush failed.
Old 14 August 2009, 03:21 PM
DJ_Jon
911 C4 pilot

maybe the bolt sheared in half
Old 14 August 2009, 03:43 PM
Cannon Fodder
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by DJ_Jon
maybe the bolt sheared in half
Very possible as the bolts are only have a tensile strength of 8.8 whereas I would think that 10.9 or 12.1 are more suitable given the stress on the bolt as it is in effect a pivot point.
Old 14 August 2009, 04:29 PM
JDM_Stig
Scooby Regular

Received 41 Likes on 33 Posts

Id say the bolt snapped or came out/nut not replaced when the drop links were fitted maybe? old nuts arent great,
The reason I say bolt out is if the bush had come loose you would have had a clunk bolt on ARB as you didnt id say bolt came out and bush then fell out over time.

Last edited by JDM_Stig; 14 August 2009 at 04:31 PM.
Old 14 August 2009, 05:22 PM
Cannon Fodder
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by JDM_Stig
Id say the bolt snapped or came out/nut not replaced when the drop links were fitted maybe? old nuts arent great,
The reason I say bolt out is if the bush had come loose you would have had a clunk bolt on ARB as you didnt id say bolt came out and bush then fell out over time.
New nuts were fitted when the drop links were changed, and they were checked after 150 miles.
Old 15 August 2009, 10:57 AM
redwards
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by mshill
That's bloody strange

Here's a pic of them fitted, you can see the large washer that would stop the bush pulling though.

I fitted these and made sure everything was greased and torqued properly, using nyloc nuts. I suspect the bolt sheared or the thread was stripped from the bolt/nut causing it to come undone. The bushes are a 2 piece construction with a metal sleeve going through the middle, as soon as the bolt come out, it wouldn’t take long for the bush to come apart. If the bush failed then it's likely the bolt would still be attached to the ARB.

Big thanks to Ty for not 'pointing the finger' , some people would immediately go back and blame the person who fitted them.

I glad you found this out as soon as you did, I know some of us SWS guys enjoy fully committed driving and to have something give mid corner is likely to not have a happy ending.

Lets hope the whiteline items can stand up to the punishment Wales' road give them.

Rich.
Old 15 August 2009, 11:22 AM
Cannon Fodder
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by rsedwards
Here's a pic of them fitted, you can see the large washer that would stop the bush pulling though.

I fitted these and made sure everything was greased and torqued properly, using nyloc nuts. I suspect the bolt sheared or the thread was stripped from the bolt/nut causing it to come undone. The bushes are a 2 piece construction with a metal sleeve going through the middle, as soon as the bolt come out, it wouldn’t take long for the bush to come apart. If the bush failed then it's likely the bolt would still be attached to the ARB.

Big thanks to Ty for not 'pointing the finger' , some people would immediately go back and blame the person who fitted them.

I glad you found this out as soon as you did, I know some of us SWS guys enjoy fully committed driving and to have something give mid corner is likely to not have a happy ending.

Lets hope the whiteline items can stand up to the punishment Wales' road give them.

Rich.
No problem Rich, I would not blame anyone or even the manufacturer for the failure as the cause of the failure can only ever be conjecture as a number of reasons could have caused the problem.

The mostly like cause is the bolt shearing but as I have already stated I cannot understand when the bolt is in a stressed position at a pivot point for the anti-roll bar why only 8.8 bolts are used when at least 10.9 bolts would be a better fitment.

I posted up merely to warn others and to encourage them to check their drop links as I would not like this failure to happen to anyone else especially if they are 'giving it the beans'.
Old 20 August 2009, 08:16 PM
Mother Theresa
Scooby Regular

Mine did that too, I just thought it was a one off due to too much hooning around. I bought a different set (can't remember who's) and it has been fine for the past 3 years or so.
Old 20 August 2009, 10:12 PM
TheVoices
Scooby Regular
Support Scoobynet!

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

I had the same problem, bolts and bushes missing from both sides at MOT time.

I looked at this and it's simple, if you re-use the standard droplink bolts they pull through the poly bush (obviously not through the stainless sleeve !), in effect allowing it to 'slide' off over the nut.

I sorted new bushes and refitted with high tensile bolts from Ebay with large stainless steel washers on either side, no problems since.
Old 20 August 2009, 10:15 PM
Guinness
Scooby Regular

Ive had a set of these on my car for 3yrs with no problem...also had them on my Type-R for a few years aswell......
Old 20 August 2009, 10:50 PM
wrighty338
Scooby Regular

will be keeping an eye on all my suspension bits anyway.