What Coilovers?

Search this Thread

Old 22 April 2009, 11:58 AM
Hoody2769
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What Coilovers?

Guys,
I've got a Bug Eye Sti and the shocks are really tired! So.... coilovers it is: but which ones? There would appear to be so much choice out there I'm sinking!!!

I've got no more than £1K to spend and can't decide whether to blow it all on coilovers or save a bit and get some whiteline kit- Drop links look good, but is tyre wear severely effected by the negative camber induced by the ALK?

Your thoughts/advice would be massively appreciated!

Cheers

Will
Old 25 April 2009, 02:15 PM
bnmotors
Scooby Regular

ive got a 2002 sti bugeye and just bought some BC coilovers from CDF racing after having heard some glowing reports on them. CDF also did me a real good deal on the whiteline goodies. nothing is fitted yet so i cant tell you what they were like but alot of people seem to like them. there is currently a group buy going on with nearly 30 people wanting them so they must be doing something right. the BC coilovers were £532.50 delivered form CDF which i thoght was cheap. I got a really good price for the whiteline stuff from demon tweeks then CDF beat it as well. From what i have been reading on here you need the droplinks and arbs and anti lift kits as much if not more than the coilovers. All my suspension stuff cost me about £1200.
Hope this helps
Old 25 April 2009, 02:16 PM
bnmotors
Scooby Regular

My sti suspension had only done 20k and has nothing wrong with it is up for sale.
Old 25 April 2009, 05:16 PM
davedipster
Scooby Senior

My BC's have been great so far.
Old 26 April 2009, 08:44 PM
Hoody2769
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by bnmotors
ive got a 2002 sti bugeye and just bought some BC coilovers from CDF racing after having heard some glowing reports on them. CDF also did me a real good deal on the whiteline goodies. nothing is fitted yet so i cant tell you what they were like but alot of people seem to like them. there is currently a group buy going on with nearly 30 people wanting them so they must be doing something right. the BC coilovers were £532.50 delivered form CDF which i thoght was cheap. I got a really good price for the whiteline stuff from demon tweeks then CDF beat it as well. From what i have been reading on here you need the droplinks and arbs and anti lift kits as much if not more than the coilovers. All my suspension stuff cost me about £1200.
Hope this helps
I take it that you got BC 'BR' coilovers? I thinking about the RM series but haven't really seen anyone post much about them?
Old 29 April 2009, 08:38 PM
shonner
Scooby Regular

Hi i have just fitted a set of of BC RM series dampers , not tried them yet but they look really good quality , will be setting the car up this weekend , corner weighting , camber , caster etc , will be at loton park hill climbing on the 16 and 17 th of may , will let you no how i get on i you like.
Old 06 May 2009, 10:23 PM
prwatts
Scooby Regular

I have BC BR's and am very happy with the coilovers and with the service given by Apex. Peter
Old 06 May 2009, 11:38 PM
RB5 Boyo
Scooby Regular

I have AST's and am very happy with them so far, have done a couple of thousand miles on them and they are brilliant, very nice on the road, not harsh at all
Old 07 May 2009, 02:41 PM
imf1
Scooby Regular

Talk to Bren at Apex, BC's are cheap but ace. Had mine over a year and are simply brilliant
Old 07 May 2009, 11:36 PM
bushiwarrior
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

exe-tc ftw zen performance,rcm and the citron wrc team cant be wrong
Old 08 May 2009, 10:49 AM
JP4
Scooby Regular

Location: 700+ WR1 aka The Vuvu Zela...10.6 @ 136 weighing 1370kg....say no more....

Originally Posted by bushiwarrior
exe-tc ftw zen performance,rcm and the citron wrc team cant be wrong

Was speaking to Mark at Lateral (as he is an approved distributor of them) only yesterday to go on mine. I understand they are the dog's danglies!

Product Range - exe-tc
Old 08 May 2009, 11:09 AM
STiFreak
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by JP4
Was speaking to Mark at Lateral (as he is an approved distributor of them) only yesterday to go on mine. I understand they are the dog's danglies!

Product Range - exe-tc
I agree they are bloody fantastic, but not really in the OP's budget of £1000.
Old 13 May 2009, 12:11 AM
tarmacsoul
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Hoody2769
Guys,
I've got a Bug Eye Sti and the shocks are really tired! So.... coilovers it is: but which ones? There would appear to be so much choice out there I'm sinking!!!

I've got no more than £1K to spend and can't decide whether to blow it all on coilovers or save a bit and get some whiteline kit- Drop links look good, but is tyre wear severely effected by the negative camber induced by the ALK?

Your thoughts/advice would be massively appreciated!

Cheers

Will
Tyre is in no way affected by the ALK. It does not change any camber adjustment. It does increase caster slightly, by roughly .5* positive (which is beneficial) and changes the lift and dive geometry by moving the mounting point for the lower control arm.

As far as coilovers go, Converting your currency over into U.S dollars it looks like you would be in about the $1,5000 U.S range. If you we're over here and looking to spend about that much, I would recommend KW V1's. Their non adjustable damping wise, as they dont really need to be (setting are pre-set by KW). They are durable, seriously well made, and perform exceoptional for the price.

I would also possibly consider a good fixed perch damper and spring set up possibly.

If you we're looking to spend more, I would absolutely say that Exe-tc, AST, KW are amongst the best stuff out there. And always keep the old addage in mind that, you almost always get what you pay for!!

-Anthony