Dodgy creaking noise, front nearside wheel

Search this Thread

Old 30 March 2009, 03:34 PM
Torquemada
Scooby Regular

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Dodgy creaking noise, front nearside wheel

Hi all,

Seems that, on turning right mostly (but now all the time pretty much), I get a sort of intermittant rubbing/creaking/rubbery sound, the same as noted here Noise from front near side wheel when turning - FixYa

Anyone got any ideas? Could it be a CV joint or something worse?
Getting it down to the garage on Weds but hoping I can get an idea of what I'm going to be in for money wise etc.

Car is a 2001 UK STi with about 57k on it.

Thanks in advance!

Tom
Old 30 March 2009, 05:16 PM
psigeek
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I also have a 2001 STI with 59k on it, same problem. I had coilovers and solid rear drop links fitted recently and no change. Every other part is standard underneath. Will keep an eye on this one for anymore possible answers!
Old 30 March 2009, 05:22 PM
Torquemada
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by psigeek
I also have a 2001 STI with 59k on it, same problem. I had coilovers and solid rear drop links fitted recently and no change. Every other part is standard underneath. Will keep an eye on this one for anymore possible answers!
Well, at least I can cross two things off the list of possible broken things
Cheers psigeek!

I'll definitely update as I find out more but if there's anyone else out there who's experienced/experiencing this, it would be much appreciated!
Old 30 March 2009, 06:33 PM
JonMc
Scooby Senior

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I think you'll find it might the rear wishbone link. It has two rubber washers either side of the bush and they will creak as they try and move. They won't move much though because th bush is torqued up quite tight.

Mine only started after I put hardrace mounts and bushes in. It is the part that is replaced when you fit an ALK. I know it is that because it made the same noise as I was torquing it up on the bench
Old 30 March 2009, 06:55 PM
Torquemada
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by JonMc
I think you'll find it might the rear wishbone link. It has two rubber washers either side of the bush and they will creak as they try and move. They won't move much though because th bush is torqued up quite tight.

Mine only started after I put hardrace mounts and bushes in. It is the part that is replaced when you fit an ALK. I know it is that because it made the same noise as I was torquing it up on the bench
Thanks, Jon. It's kinda similar to that but the more I think about it, it really sounds like it's something up front that's spinning or connected to something that spins and whilst doing so, it makes this rubbery-creaky-spinny-not-very-well noise but mostly when the car is going in a straight line or turning right. When reversing with ful right lock it sounds like a proper grinding noise now.

Hate driving the thing at the moment as it sounds like the wheel is gonna drop off, well, that's how others are looking at me when I drive past

Forgot to say, there's no 'play' in the wheel when it's off the ground. Doesn't feel like I've lost power or anything from that wheel either (yet) feels normal, sounds BAAAD!

Last edited by Torquemada; 30 March 2009 at 06:57 PM.
Old 30 March 2009, 07:01 PM
psigeek
Scooby Regular

That now sounds a little more like a wheel bearing. I don't have as harsh as noise as that!
Old 30 March 2009, 07:19 PM
Torquemada
Scooby Regular

That now sounds a little more like a wheel bearing. I don't have as harsh as noise as that!
That's what I thought initially or maybe even the hub but as there's no play in the wheel and it's mostly when turning the wheel to the right, I'm guessing it's something else, probably more expensive

The noise started off as nothing as well, just like a dry leaf caught in the brake caliper or something but today it's sounding foofed!!
Old 30 March 2009, 07:35 PM
psigeek
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Torquemada
That's what I thought initially or maybe even the hub but as there's no play in the wheel and it's mostly when turning the wheel to the right, I'm guessing it's something else, probably more expensive

The noise started off as nothing as well, just like a dry leaf caught in the brake caliper or something but today it's sounding foofed!!
Does the sound go away or lessen if you touch the brake pedal lightly whilst it's making the noise?
Old 30 March 2009, 07:37 PM
dunx
Scooby Senior

Up in the air with the car in gear and running a dodgy wheel bearing is an easy spot !

dunx

P.S. Yes mine did go, and by the time it was noisy it had taken the hub with it !
Old 30 March 2009, 07:38 PM
Torquemada
Scooby Regular

Does the sound go away or lessen if you touch the brake pedal lightly whilst it's making the noise?
Sometimes it will slightly change the noise on braking but this is more to do with the shifting of weight on whatever is foofed I suspect.
Wheel's been off and I can't really see much, then again, it helps if you actually know what you're looking at, unlike me
Old 30 March 2009, 07:45 PM
Torquemada
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by dunx
Up in the air with the car in gear and running a dodgy wheel bearing is an easy spot !

dunx

P.S. Yes mine did go, and by the time it was noisy it had taken the hub with it !
Yeah, exactly what I meant when I said there was no play in the wheel. Had it off the ground and it seems to be ok, even though that was what I thought it was. The thing is I had the hub and bearings replaced on the drivers side last year, hence originally thinking, ah, probably the bearings/hub.
No sign of bearing/hub probs at all though, I didn't have the same noise when I had to replace the offside hub last year and that was really worn from the previous owner
(bit annoyed about my crap judgement with buying the car with these probs to be honest, then again, you can't really tell 'til they go wrong ).

'tis a mystery for now, will be interesting to see what we find on Weds

Diff has been mentioned and I do not have the money for that right now!!!

p.s. Cheers Dunx!

Last edited by Torquemada; 30 March 2009 at 07:47 PM.
Old 30 March 2009, 08:01 PM
Swift Nick
Scooby Regular

Is it a click, click, click noise when turning in sharp?

If so CV joint.

Nick
Old 30 March 2009, 08:09 PM
Torquemada
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Swift Nick
Is it a click, click, click noise when turning in sharp?

If so CV joint.

Nick
Yeah! It did kind of start off like that, sort of intermittent brushing/almost clicking noise when turning and now it's there all the time and squeaks too.
Sounds like it may well be a CV joint then.
I'll confirm when I know more

Thanks to Nick and everyone else who has given me pointers

Tom
Old 30 March 2009, 08:50 PM
psigeek
Scooby Regular

Came across this:
Diagnosing/ Fault finding
Constant Velocity joints are usually reliable and largely trouble-free. The two main failures are wear and partial seizure.

Wear
Wear in the outer joint usually shows up as vibration at certain speeds, a bit like the vibration caused by an unbalanced wheel. To determine if the joint is worn, find a big empty car park and drive the car slowly in tight circles, left and right. Worn joints will make a rhythmic clicking or cracking noise. Wear in the inner joints shows up as a "clunk" or "pop" when applying power, or if severe, when lifting off the throttle.

Partial seizure
Partial seizure causes a strange "pattering" sensation through the suspension. It is caused by the joint overheating, which in turn is usually caused by the outer joint gaiter having split, allowing the joint to throw out its grease. If caught in time, you can clean the joint carefully, repack with grease and replace the gaiter

Let me know how you get on and costs if possible! Thanks for the replies also above, might have helped mine too.
Old 30 March 2009, 08:56 PM
Torquemada
Scooby Regular

Came across this:
Diagnosing/ Fault finding
Constant Velocity joints are usually reliable and largely trouble-free. The two main failures are wear and partial seizure.

Wear
Wear in the outer joint usually shows up as vibration at certain speeds, a bit like the vibration caused by an unbalanced wheel. To determine if the joint is worn, find a big empty car park and drive the car slowly in tight circles, left and right. Worn joints will make a rhythmic clicking or cracking noise. Wear in the inner joints shows up as a "clunk" or "pop" when applying power, or if severe, when lifting off the throttle.

Partial seizure
Partial seizure causes a strange "pattering" sensation through the suspension. It is caused by the joint overheating, which in turn is usually caused by the outer joint gaiter having split, allowing the joint to throw out its grease. If caught in time, you can clean the joint carefully, repack with grease and replace the gaiter

Let me know how you get on and costs if possible! Thanks for the replies also above, might have helped mine too.
That's it on the button by the sounds of it. Heard the noises described in the wear bit and by now it's probably properly fubar'd.

Was just chatting to a mate and I think I must have somehow killed it having fun in the snow

Thanks again psigeek! I will defo let you know what happens.

Tom
Old 30 March 2009, 09:42 PM
bunsofsteeeel
Scooby Regular

Received 44 Likes on 36 Posts

Originally Posted by dunx

dunx

thats how mine went aswell, i thought it wasn't a bearing as it creaked and banged when turning in and off my drive til it went for an mot
Old 30 March 2009, 11:07 PM
Torquemada
Scooby Regular

Went out in it again and I've got the noise description figured now. It's like grinding rubber bands between metal as well as being a bit squeaky.
Anyway, next update on weds. Hopefully won't be
Old 30 March 2009, 11:23 PM
maydew
Scooby Regular

does this sound happen whilst turning in slow and pressing the brake pedal also can you repeat the sound once stopped by pressing the brake pedal
Old 30 March 2009, 11:35 PM
Torquemada
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by maydew
does this sound happen whilst turning in slow and pressing the brake pedal also can you repeat the sound once stopped by pressing the brake pedal
As far as I could hear, it wasn't making a noise when I pressed on the brake pedal whilst stationary. I'll check again in the morning to be absolutely sure.
If it does make that noise what am I to expect?

Cheers,

Tom
Old 30 March 2009, 11:41 PM
maydew
Scooby Regular

either remove the shims behind the pads,and clean and grease(alittle)the caliper fitting kit(bars and anti rattle).

but lock it round slightly bout 5-10 mph just resting on the brake then stop and keep depressing the pedal see if you can make the creaking noise you describe
Old 30 March 2009, 11:46 PM
Torquemada
Scooby Regular

either remove the shims behind the pads,and clean and grease(alittle)the caliper fitting kit(bars and anti rattle).

but lock it round slightly bout 5-10 mph just resting on the brake then stop and keep depressing the pedal see if you can make the creaking noise you describe
Thanks maydew, I'll give it a try and see what I can hear. I might try to record the noise as well if I get a chance.

Cheers,

Tom
Old 30 March 2009, 11:54 PM
psigeek
Scooby Regular

Cheers for the input too maydew .

However, I took the car to Subaru regarding this same noise (as stated above) a little while back. They replaced the cross springs on the back of the Brembo calipers at the front, siting it as a 'common issue'. Cost me a total of £80. The noise remained just as Torquemedia describes. It's bloody annoying because you know it won't happen when it gets to a garage. I really hope you find the cause.

edit: it was all greased up on mine when I took it down to Ian Godney (Godspeed Brakes).

Last edited by psigeek; 30 March 2009 at 11:57 PM.
Old 31 March 2009, 12:05 AM
maydew
Scooby Regular

i think the noises are just an sti thing ,i have always had that pad knock when u go forward to reverse lol somethin i live with.

but i had a wheel bearing/cv go last year and that noise is defo a clicking noise,
a couple of weeks ago i got this so called "creaking noise" everytime i done the above after checking everythin else cv/bearing/caliper bolts my last straw was to remove the shims from the back of the pad and grease/clean the cross pins and the noise went.

it almost sounds like a stone stuck in the caliper and as you press the pedal your crushing/grinding the stone type of noise if that makes sense

Last edited by maydew; 31 March 2009 at 12:07 AM.
Old 31 March 2009, 07:57 AM
first ever scooby
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Torquemada
Thanks, Jon. It's kinda similar to that but the more I think about it, it really sounds like it's something up front that's spinning or connected to something that spins and whilst doing so, it makes this rubbery-creaky-spinny-not-very-well noise but mostly when the car is going in a straight line or turning right. When reversing with ful right lock it sounds like a proper grinding noise now.

Hate driving the thing at the moment as it sounds like the wheel is gonna drop off, well, that's how others are looking at me when I drive past

Forgot to say, there's no 'play' in the wheel when it's off the ground. Doesn't feel like I've lost power or anything from that wheel either (yet) feels normal, sounds BAAAD!
uh oh! i had the same problem. at first i thought the shims were rubbing and and when i took it to the garage, it was a new power steering rack as well as a new hub and everything is fine now. no noises whatsoever. exactly the same as you were describing. mine was always the passenger front side. i hope this isn't the case for you as its 5 hours labour for the rack!
Old 31 March 2009, 08:25 AM
psigeek
Scooby Regular

^^ I hope it isn't 5 hours labour to fix. Mine does sound exactly as Torquemedia describes. The only difference being it happens when I turn full left. Quite keen to see the answer now.
Old 31 March 2009, 01:54 PM
Torquemada
Scooby Regular

it almost sounds like a stone stuck in the caliper and as you press the pedal your crushing/grinding the stone type of noise if that makes sense
Yeah, definitely not that noise when applying the brakes in mine.
I'll make sure they check the cross pins though
Old 03 April 2009, 06:28 PM
Torquemada
Scooby Regular

Well, congrats to those who advised me as to wheel bearings and hub being the source of the problem, you were right!!

Even the mechanic thought it was gonna be a CV joint problem on hearing the noise but it's all good in there, apparently.

The hub was soooooo worn it was unbelievable and the bearings were utterly fubar'd

Well, not the cheapest fix in the world but at least it wasn't a diff!!
I find out the cost on Monday but I'm expecting somewhere between 300-500 quid FML
Old 03 April 2009, 06:30 PM
Torquemada
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by first ever scooby
uh oh! i had the same problem. at first i thought the shims were rubbing and and when i took it to the garage, it was a new power steering rack as well as a new hub and everything is fine now. no noises whatsoever. exactly the same as you were describing. mine was always the passenger front side. i hope this isn't the case for you as its 5 hours labour for the rack!
Oh, and by Satans ********, I hope my rack is ok....as it were
Old 03 April 2009, 07:01 PM
psigeek
Scooby Regular

Do you have any pics?
Old 03 April 2009, 07:09 PM
Torquemada
Scooby Regular

Do you have any pics?
Sorry mate, might not be able to get any pics 'til Monday but I'll definitely grab a few then. I'll have a word with my mechanic tomorrow though and see if maybe I can pop down and get a pic or two then

Quick Reply: Dodgy creaking noise, front nearside wheel