Notices

WTF Get Yer Nose IN

Search this Thread

Old 08 February 2009, 01:56 PM
BoxerTurbo
Scooby Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default WTF Get Yer Nose IN

Just got my first scoob, 2003 Blobeye WRX Wagon and expected it to have go kart like handling after reading that impreza have fantastic handling.. Have to say Im a bit dissapointed... Its seems to have a lot of grip but rather wolley handling characteristics.

I have two issues...

1) It seems to wallow a bit, though suspesnion seems moderatley firm, the car still seems to roll to much for my liking.

2) The nose seems to play catch up with rear of car, I thought it would be quickly track where you point it to... I first encountered its lack of direction when I accelerated hard coming out of a round about, the cars nose basically ploughed straight on! I used to driving rear while drive cars, so I would much rather the rear went rather than the front of the car, or have a 4 wheel drift.

Id like to try and address the ballance of the, but Im on a very tight budget so will probably be looking for second hand parts.. but need to know what to look out for...

Whats the minimum that will correct the cars shocking understeer!

I was thinking of different anti roll bars and some uprated springs.. Im hoping this would do the job.. Coil overs would be nice but they seem to cost a fortune..

Also are thing like anti bump (not sure if this is newage) anti lift and uprated drop link really required ?

Basically whats cheapest way to correct the car and not end up with my teeth clanking togther
Old 08 February 2009, 02:48 PM
dunx
Scooby Senior

Rear adjustable ARB and drop-links will kill the understeer.

Best value mod on mine !

HTH

dunx

P.S. 2nd stage front ARB, Anti-lift kit, and springs. The STI suspension is a lot firmer if your family are willing to suffer.
Old 08 February 2009, 02:51 PM
BoxerTurbo
Scooby Newbie

Thanks Dunx... sounds good and not to expensive for stage 1, going to search the bay and classifieds here and see what I can find!
Old 08 February 2009, 02:53 PM
Scooby Senior

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

LoL, If I had a £1 for every post like this...

As above, in addition to prodrive springs to kill the 70mph motorway warble and a good alignment session.
Old 08 February 2009, 04:08 PM
BoxerTurbo
Scooby Newbie

I can see this is going to be costly prodrive, springs seem very expensive, was hoping the cheaper eibach would help de-warble...

I searched for suspension advice and noticed its a common issue, but couldnt find specific advice on transforming the car on a super stingey budget...

And the brakes just seem to slow the car down! But that will have to wait.
Old 08 February 2009, 08:24 PM
escott
Scooby Regular

You can often pick the prodrive springs up second hand, worth checking on here and ebay. Make sure they are the right model year though. They are probably the best option for the Wagon, as other springs are generally specifically for the saloon and will cause the **** of the Wagon to sag. The prodrives are slightly longer at the back. You can get spacers fitted to help, but the prodrives really are a good match and worth tracking down.

Agree with the other advice above - I have rear ARB (22mm adjustable), droplinks, ALK, prodrive springs but don't forget to get alignment set up somewhere decent - Powerstation, Mocom etc. Also go for decent tyres, and make sure the pressures are kept right - mine seems very sensitive to incorrect pressures at the front, it seems a little twitchy if they are over-inflated.
Old 08 February 2009, 08:37 PM
BoxerTurbo
Scooby Newbie

Thanks escott, will deffo try and get wagon specific prodrive springs the, dont fancy the car sagging at the back..

The car came with KUMHO tyres, which I assume to be pretty cheap as far as Im aware.
Old 08 February 2009, 10:16 PM
escott
Scooby Regular

Just to be clear - prodrives fit both saloon and wagon, with the same part no. Any 03-05 prodrive springs will fit. Home | Subaru (UK) Ltd Official Website and check the upgrades section to confirm.
Old 08 February 2009, 10:17 PM
dunx
Scooby Senior

Be aware that the wagon has a narrower track than the STI/WRX, and a specific ARB is needed, I think some have "forced" one on.... they are pretty rare on here tbh !

HTH

dunx
Old 09 February 2009, 07:54 PM
escott
Scooby Regular

Hi Dunx - my Bugeye Wagon has the same rear ARB as the saloon fitted, which is correct according to the Whiteline catalogue - BSR33Z if I remember correctly.

This is for the rear, not sure about the front.
Old 10 February 2009, 01:39 AM
dunx
Scooby Senior

Humble apologies !

Grabs coat and runs for the door....
Old 10 February 2009, 10:14 AM
BoxerTurbo
Scooby Newbie

Thanks again for all the help, I will try and get a set of blue prodrive springs.. and had read conflicting advice regarding the rear sway bar so will take escots advice as you seem to have a similar car
Old 10 February 2009, 06:23 PM
cusco kid
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by BoxerTurbo
Thanks again for all the help, I will try and get a set of blue prodrive springs.. and had read conflicting advice regarding the rear sway bar so will take escots advice as you seem to have a similar car
hi m8 check out the post from lookout about arbs on this site
dont be afraid to fit rear bars on your car ,they work. never listen to guys with little mechanical know how listen to the experts .
cheers geo
Old 10 February 2009, 06:28 PM
BoxerTurbo
Scooby Newbie

Thanks Geo, I will check out that thread and have a read, out of interest is there anyone that makes replacements arbs that look very similar to the factory spec, not after anything bling or expensive, just something that will do the job, was thinking an sti would maybe have factory uprated bars ?

Last edited by BoxerTurbo; 10 February 2009 at 06:29 PM.