Notices

2005 wrx hawkeye rear suspension

Search this Thread

Old 27 November 2008, 08:00 PM
neil rowland-hall
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Post 2005 wrx hawkeye rear suspension

I have a uk spec wrx 2005 with standard suspension that seems far too hard. It bounces over the slightest bumps and feels very unstable in fast corners. The subaru main dealer in cambridge said that it is "how they are". Is this correct? Any ideas how to improve the ride? thanks, Neil

Last edited by neil rowland-hall; 27 November 2008 at 08:24 PM. Reason: new member
Old 27 November 2008, 09:32 PM
Nolan_WRX
Scooby Regular

I wouldnt describe my 05 wrx standard springs as hard, they were more wallowy and soft and the handling was terrible especially at speeds,
fitted sti shocks and prodrive springs, made a big difference,
also found when getting geometry done one rear hub was bent slightly so throwing everything out, (more than likely causing the bad handling) changed that too and now it handles great.
although am now finding the STi shocks a bit bouncy and a little hard, now realise why STi owners change them.

Worth getting geometry done properly with laser alignment kit to check for anything that may be bent or broken.
Old 29 November 2008, 02:16 PM
neil rowland-hall
Scooby Regular

Thanks for your message. It would be good to know if it is the springs or the shocks that are causing the hard ride. Sounds like it might be the shocks if you are saying your standard springs were soft. thanks, Neil
Old 29 November 2008, 03:15 PM
Mrfastbaz
Scooby Regular

i ve got a 2005 wrx and find that the suspension is hard and when you hit a bump you feel it the wife hates it,,,,, have had 2 new rear shocks under warranty as well i dont mind the feel of the set up although sometimes it can hop through a corner if you are not careful.... seems normal but i am not changing as i am saving up for an sti next year

Last edited by Mrfastbaz; 29 November 2008 at 03:17 PM.
Old 30 November 2008, 04:10 PM
neil rowland-hall
Scooby Regular

I still have an 03 wrx and the handling on that is far superior to the 05. I just can't understand why subaru have built a car where the handling can't cope with the engine power. They seem to have taken a step back on this model although I notice on the later wrx hawkeye they have gone back to a slightly softer set-up similar to the 03. I gather STIs all have a hard ride and I have driven a friend's RB320 and that is even harder. Great for driving round silverstone but not so good on the country roads around cambridge.