Search this Thread

Old 06 June 2008, 03:45 PM
hawk
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Strut Braces and Arbs Vs Lowering Springs

Hi Guys,

I just put Front and rear strut brace on my 01 wrx to impreove its handling
Now question is shall I go down the Arb and Droplink route or lower the car on some Eibach's

Problem is i dont want to lose the ride quality
Any suggestions!!
thanks
Old 06 June 2008, 06:08 PM
cusco kid
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by hawk
Hi Guys,

I just put Front and rear strut brace on my 01 wrx to impreove its handling
Now question is shall I go down the Arb and Droplink route or lower the car on some Eibach's

Problem is i dont want to lose the ride quality
Any suggestions!!
thanks
before you alter springs go for front and rear anti roll bars and alloy drop links,this alters the handling by increasing roll centre stiffness
allowing the car to corner much flatter .then fit anti lift kit to give 0.5 deg + caster which cancells out understeer next mod poly steering rack bushes
springs are the last part i fit /sort out the roll cent /u/steer first any info req pm me m8 geo
Old 06 June 2008, 06:13 PM
JimmyBFC
Scooby Regular

Id have thought springs, front and rear ARB and droplinks would all go hand in hand, Id have put those on b4 any strutbraces, you won't see much from the braces tbh, I didn't anyway.
Old 06 June 2008, 10:23 PM
cusco kid
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by JimmyBFC
Id have thought springs, front and rear ARB and droplinks would all go hand in hand, Id have put those on b4 any strutbraces, you won't see much from the braces tbh, I didn't anyway.
its all about altering roll centre stiffness first by altering the thickness of the bars you can up the r,s by up to 300% this totaly alters the way the car handles i always fit the springs last trust me geo
Old 07 June 2008, 07:13 AM
lookout
Scooby Regular

Just fitting lowering springs does indeed lower the centre of gravity but normally lowers the roll centre a lot more. This results in a car that actually wants to roll more as the roll couple is increased. To correct that, fitting of a roll centre adjustment kit becomes almost a no brainer.

Most people modify the suspension to change the handling bias and increase front end grip. The cheapest and easiest way to achieve this is fitting of uprated anti roll bars and Whiteline anti lift kit (copies don't seem to have the correct angle to achieve objective)

The front wishbone, rear bush on the Impreza seems to be hydraulic. They almost always look ok from the outside. However when cut open, most of them have failed. This results in a huge castor loss when loaded up during cornering. So the anti lift kit replaces this bush as well as increasing static castor, as well as reducing castor loss during cornering, as well as reducing the OE 'anti geometry'.

I would fit uprated, adjustable anti roll bars and Whiteline anti lift kit first and lowering springs and roll centre adjustment kit second. And the rear subframe locking bolts when alignment is done..........
Old 07 June 2008, 01:25 PM
reiddo
Scooby Regular

Hi guys, i'm thinking about getting ARBs and springs etc done to my 02 bugeye sti. Can anyone recommmend a place to have the work done as i would never consider doing it myself? I am located near heathrow. Any advice appreciated.
Old 07 June 2008, 02:26 PM
dunx
Scooby Senior

Rear bar is a one hour job, with a coffee !

DunxC
Old 07 June 2008, 05:01 PM
JimmyBFC
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by dunx
Rear bar is a one hour job, with a coffee !

DunxC

Just drove mine back from Precious Metal this aft, had alloy links, front and rear, and a front ARB (inc other stuff....£1300 bill...)

I can't believe how much difference the changes have made, I didn't believe you when you said yours drove like on rails......I do now
Old 09 June 2008, 10:36 PM
F1 CJE UK
Scooby Regular

i did the same last week at RCM and the way the car drives now is amazing what arb did you get 22mm or 24mm
Old 10 June 2008, 06:57 PM
JimmyBFC
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by F1 CJE UK
i did the same last week at RCM and the way the car drives now is amazing what arb did you get 22mm or 24mm
I think...its a 22mm mate, I just left it up to the co-owner there, Zak.

Don't know what else they've done but it seems faster...lol..even the missus has commented today on it.
Old 10 June 2008, 07:08 PM
F1 CJE UK
Scooby Regular

Haha yep no what you mean I just stand there and nod my head when RCM are explaining things and then worry about the price.

I went (ok olly) with the 24mm front and rear but that’s could be down to being a WRX , either way glad your pleased with the new setup
Old 15 June 2008, 06:27 PM
cmpequeno
Scooby Regular

hi there, what's the size of th estock arbs for a my02 wrx?
also thinking in this mod, but not sure wich arb size to choose.
it's a street car, but would like to do some trackdays when possible...
Old 15 June 2008, 08:53 PM
dunx
Scooby Senior

My pal Kojak has just fitted a rear ARB and drop-links to his WRX, he found the oversteer a bit too "accessible", but ideal for track use, advise an adjustable bar 22mm will be enough for stock struts and springs, 24mm if you have up-graded (maybe !)

HTH

DunxC
Old 17 June 2008, 01:04 AM
buffalo
Scooby Regular

so we're sayin 22mm at the back for stock. does this mean you would leave the front standard?
finally got som emoney together after fixing the engine so would be lookin at this mod soon.
i thought the way to go (i may be wrong) was 22mm ARB front and 24mm rear on the middle hole with ALK and drop links?

any1 any idea of the cost of this at hypertech and if they're still doing free fitting, feel free to PM if you dnt want to post