Notices

Is lowering necessary?

Search this Thread

Old 17 March 2008, 09:35 PM
Flaps
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Is lowering necessary?

Over the next few months i'm wanting to upgrade the suspension of my WRX, I want to get it feeling more like my old lowered Saxo did

I have been reading on here about the various Whiteline products and having looked around i'm quite interested in PowerStation's packages PowerStation The first one includes both the front and rear ARB's and ALK's but no springs. I have always been under the impression that to improve handling you need to lower the centre of gravity. Is it still worth doing without touching the springs or would it always feel like it's not as good as it could have been?

I'm put off by lowering because of the various potential knocking noises, the ever increasing number of speed bumps (my car scraped over one the other day sitting at standard ride height!) and the fact that i don't like mixing and matching old shocks with new springs (how long do the original ones last like this?).
Old 17 March 2008, 10:54 PM
cusco kid
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Flaps
Over the next few months i'm wanting to upgrade the suspension of my WRX, I want to get it feeling more like my old lowered Saxo did

I have been reading on here about the various Whiteline products and having looked around i'm quite interested in PowerStation's packages PowerStation The first one includes both the front and rear ARB's and ALK's but no springs. I have always been under the impression that to improve handling you need to lower the centre of gravity. Is it still worth doing without touching the springs or would it always feel like it's not as good as it could have been?

I'm put off by lowering because of the various potential knocking noises, the ever increasing number of speed bumps (my car scraped over one the other day sitting at standard ride height!) and the fact that i don't like mixing and matching old shocks with new springs (how long do the original ones last like this?).
hi m8 by fitting whiteline anti roll bars and alloy drop links you will see a massive difference in handling you wil increase your roll resistance which in turn alters the way your car handles
by fitting the anti lift kit you alter thr caster angle by 0.5 deg almost cancelling out understeer. these 2 mods will give you a great difference in handling without lowering for not a lot of cash outlay .if you req any info pm me geo
Old 18 March 2008, 02:38 PM
davedipster
Scooby Senior

I've done the whiteline anti-roll bar change and drop links on my 03sti. With alignment by extreme scoobs the car feels so so much better on std springs.

I Thought about changing the springs, but with the state of the roads in Norfolk I think suspension travel is a good idea.
I've also had lowered cars in the past (Renault clio) and the ride became choppy and bottomed out when loaded up with holiday stuff, whereas the scoob is great 3 up with holiday stuff and baby paraphernalia.

dipster
Old 19 March 2008, 06:52 PM
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

IMHO a very sensible outlook above.

It all depends on the real use of your car.

If, like mine is, the car is a weekend/track/road warrier (I do actually race mineat national level) then you want everything to get the car faster and to hell with many 'nice' characteristics (like holiday ride comfort)

The first decision in modding any car is what are you trying to do with it?
Old 19 March 2008, 09:00 PM
scoobydog
Scooby Regular

I'd suggest getting a ride in a car fitted with Prodrive Springs and seeing what you think.

I drive on bumpy country roads every day and I'm now on my second WRX fitted with them and I have to say that IMHO Prodrive have done a very good setup job with them. Very little compliance is lost but the car corners flatter and handles better with improved steering weight. Worth every penny (providing full geometry setup is done as well).

As an added thought, whilst my old blobeye had standard 17 inch alloys, I've got the 18 inch Prodrive alloys fitted on my current hawkeye and they also improve steering feedback and weighting with little trade off in ride. Seem a very good match to the springs.

Hope this helps.
Old 19 March 2008, 09:34 PM
Flaps
Scooby Regular

My car is my daily drive, the only action it ever gets is on the nearby bypass to work and around the many roundabouts near our house. Realistically it will never get 'tracked' (although I do fancy a trip to the Ring to celebrate my 30th next year ). I just want to enjoy it more on a daily basis.

Cusco, thanks for the PM mate.