Notices

Suspension decisions - Which ones?

Search this Thread

Old 11 December 2007, 03:00 PM
wolfie28
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation Suspension decisions - Which ones?

My car is a UK STI 05 with DCCD and I've decided to upgrade the suspension.

The 1st stage: Perrin rear anti-roll bar, drop links, Sub-frame lock kit, Positive steering response kit and geometry setup.

But what to go for next . Either Prodrive springs or go for a coilover kit such as AST, Tein, KYB etc. I've not got plans to do loads of trackdays so its mainly for road use.

Is spending the extra on coilovers worth it or should I just upgrade the springs .

Any opinions/advice would be great.

Cheers, Wolfie.
Old 11 December 2007, 06:00 PM
Mocom Racing
Former Sponsor

What do you feel is lacking in your current set-up?
Old 19 December 2007, 04:52 PM
reano
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Mocom Racing
Probably nothing just like the rest of us just want more. The issue is once you see how better the handling can be you'll just want more..... oooh I'll do the brakes!!! Wow thats good, I'll get some more power, wow thats good, I'll ......
Old 20 December 2007, 07:25 AM
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

We all know how that feels!

I've chased all manner of mods to find a chassis I am confident with for hillclimbing/road use of my classic Sti V3, but as Mocom correctly says imho what do you need 'extra' from the car?

Poor choice of the next mods can ruin the car's overall 'road-only' capabilities.

A stock impreza will blitz a rough B country road, my race set smooth tarmac car will be far slower.
Show it a track mind and the stock car would be dead.

Coilovers can be made to be road friendly easy, but you need to decide what type of road you want 'more' performance for.
Old 20 December 2007, 08:10 PM
Kerbstone
Scooby Newbie

I fitted my car with BC-Racing coilovers, they're pretty good. However, don't expect any friendly absorption of bumps anymore... Never knew a highway was so bumpy .
On paved roads with ruts and speedbumps you really have to slow down, but on smooth asphalt they are pretty much exceptional.

Mvg, Eef.
Old 20 December 2007, 10:14 PM
Scooby Regular

Increasing performance is usually a compromise...
Old 21 December 2007, 01:20 PM
wolfie28
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by reano
Probably nothing just like the rest of us just want more. The issue is once you see how better the handling can be you'll just want more..... oooh I'll do the brakes!!! Wow thats good, I'll get some more power, wow thats good, I'll ......
Spot on there ^^.

Its hard to put my finger on really. The main reason is in the past I've upgraded my cars only to find I should have got this, that or the other in the first place. For instance my origional post - spend approx £450 on Prodrive springs and set up, only to find out that you should of bought coilovers in the first place and saved the money from the spring upgrade.

I was asking folks on here if anyone had a similar model Scoob to me, which had Prodrive springs fitted then they upgraded to coilovers to see if its worth the extra expense or not?

Thanks for the replies

Wolfie.
Old 21 December 2007, 01:50 PM
bren@apex
Former Sponsor

As has been said, you need to spec the correct coilovers, theres a world of difference between road spec and track spec kits. You need to get more specific info on the comparison, i.e. has anyone compared Prodrive springs with AST coilovers or Tein Flex etc.

Theres way too much variation in coilover feel depending on brand and spec to just ask for broad info on coilovers full stop. Our Scoobys fine on bumpy roads, if just a little stiff but you wouldnt take our Skyline anything near tarmac that was anything but pool table smooth :no: Same brand coilovers, completely different spec.
Old 21 December 2007, 05:19 PM
Scooby Regular

Good thing today is that there are well agreed formulas for the Impreza that are known to work, road comfort, road/track and track with a few grey areas between.

This why Mocom and i ask what you want from the mods.

It is very true that you can make a mod and wish that you had gone further later on...many will agree with that 'development', and have i ever been there including buying the wrong spec car for my chosed purpose in the first place...I've done it the hard way.

I suspect you would do well with:

AST one way coil-overs with 50/40 spring rates.(possibly 40/35 springs)
22mm front/24mm rear bars and metal links.
ALK or adjustable Noltec top mounts.
Camber bolts in the rear
Rear sub-frame lock kit.

A good set of tyres

A good alignment job by one who really knows.

Just my opinion.
Old 21 December 2007, 06:42 PM
stevet350
Scooby Regular

i have ast on mine after using 3 different formulas and tbh the ast`s win hands down and its fitted while you wait at power station by excellent tradesmen with the correct attitude for your pride and joy give them a call and speak to curtis my car never felt so good
Old 21 December 2007, 07:08 PM
STiFreak
Scooby Regular

Question

Originally Posted by Mocom Racing
I can't answer for wolfie, but I have a MY05 STi and I feel the handling could be improved. The is too much body roll (both front and rear for my liking) and there should be more in the way feedback from the steering.

Been thinking of doing a set of Perrin ARB's myself (25mm Rear and 22mm Front) and some uprated steering rack bushes.

Long term plan is for a set of exe-tc fast road adjustable coilovers, so current upgrades should compliment these.

What would your suggestions be?

Wolfie sorry for the thread hijack, but seeing as we have the same model car, was hoping you wouldn't mind too much, as the answers may be useful to you too.

Last edited by STiFreak; 21 December 2007 at 07:14 PM.
Old 21 December 2007, 10:27 PM
Kerbstone
Scooby Newbie

Advice: ditch the '05 and buy a GC8 (or 2) .

The new model is just too soft and comfortable. Body roll is increased because it's higher, especially in the rear.

You could take care of that with a coilover set: they lower the car all around, lowering the center of gravity. The stiffer springs will reduce the body roll.
With my set, I've no real need for stiffer bars anymore.
Steering vagueness might be cured with stiffer steering rack bushings, I've got my MRT bushings from AK-Motorsport (Germany).
Did you get a wheel alignment? The prodrive street alignment is popular in Holland, it reduces understeer by increasing the front camber, adds toe to compensate for tyre wear at the front and to give more stability at the rear.
With this, on the track, I find all I need are bigger brakes and stickier tyres.