What would you do?

Search this Thread

Old 21 October 2007, 07:26 PM
AndyLyman
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What would you do?

I have a 2002 Impreza STI...

I have started getting the dreaded donk noise from the rear passenger side and the front drivers side... you only hear these noises when going slowly, e.g manouvering and reversing off the driveway...

When going along at 20mph and above the car is quiet and you dont hear any noises..

I rang my local Subaru dealer who said that it is probably the rear top mounts need replacing, they do it on a weekly job!, there is now a version 3 (V3) top mount available for imprezas and since fitting the new v3's to cars they havent changed any shock absorbers...

my deliema.....

Do I just change the rear top mounts and hope it cures the noise or would you change mounts andshocks at the same time?

I was told that its a big job to do the top mounts... taking out rear seats and parcel shelf etc..

what's your views?

thanks

Andy
Old 22 October 2007, 11:37 AM
Mocom Racing
Former Sponsor

If it's at your cost I'd consider refreshing you current set-up, the standard struts/springs will be past their best by now and you'd be amazed in the difference a new set-up can make.
Ofcourse there are alternative uprated options but why change something you're happy with - that's assuming you are happy with it
Old 24 October 2007, 03:47 PM
Mother Theresa
Scooby Regular

It's not your brake pads moving around is it - before you spend big bucks on the suspension?
Old 25 October 2007, 05:16 PM
AndyLyman
Scooby Regular

Nah its not the pads mate,

It's really annoying donk noise from rear passenger side when going slowly 30 mph + you dont hear a sound unless you are turning left! then donk donk!

started getting the same noise on drivers side front now too

Andy
Old 26 October 2007, 08:25 AM
Mother Theresa
Scooby Regular

Still on the brake theme I had something similar when I put a bigger brake kit on and it was the dust shield just catching on something. I can't see how suspension goes donk, donk, donk unless it is actually compressing each time.
Old 26 October 2007, 11:55 AM
JonMc
Scooby Senior

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The front sounds more like a CV joint than suspension, have you checked that out.
Old 26 October 2007, 05:09 PM
mas58
Scooby Newbie

I got to the stage when the clunking noise was just spoiling any enjoyment when driving.
I replaced the rear shocks and at the same time fitted Prodrive springs. No real big deal to change the shocks, back seat out and you access the top mount. Just make sure you disconnect the anti-roll bar to remove the shock assembly, swap over coil spring, then install new unit. If you are reasonably competent it should not take much more than 3 hours on the rears, a little more on the fronts as you should fit replacement bump stops with the Prodrive springs. Apply the Prodrive geometry settings, (I had to get this done at local Subaru dealer, 1 hour labour)
Now the clunking is gone, it sits a little lower and looks better for it.
Old 26 October 2007, 06:11 PM
dunx
Scooby Senior

KYB adjustables look good.
I got lucky and found some warranty replacement units on offer, owner up-graded to AST's.

Dunx
Old 26 October 2007, 06:46 PM
JonMc
Scooby Senior

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by dunx
KYB adjustables look good.
I got lucky and found some warranty replacement units on offer, owner up-graded to AST's.

Dunx
I'd agree with that, got mine from the US, £340 incl shipping and duties