Eibachs - one size fits all ?

Search this Thread

Old 17 December 2001, 08:28 PM
PeterPerfect
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question

Perhaps Trouser (TSL) could shed some light on this question

I was under the impression that spring and damper rates need to be carefully selected/matched/optimised for a given car.
I read with interest that 'the' Eibach spring kit has been fitted to the 96,97,98,99,00 UK and STI Impreza.
With regards the UK turbo, it appears this has evolved over the years with a progressively firmer ride.
So, what has changed on the UK turbos to give this firmer ride....the dampers or the springs, or both ?

How can the one Eibach spring kit be truly optimised for all of the damper rates used by the UK Impreza turbo models ?

I guess another way of answering it might be finding out what the part numbers are for the 96/97/98/99/00 turbo dampers ?
....and then finding out which model/year of Impreza Eibach designed their springs for

Cheers
Pete
Old 17 December 2001, 11:30 PM
Caronte
Scooby Regular

Trouser?
Old 18 December 2001, 09:26 AM
Trouser
Scooby Regular

Hi Peter

on the UK models, as you quite rightly say, both spring and damper rates have been evolved to improve the cars handling. The bigger changes have been evident in the damper rates.

It is only my opinion... but we always feel that the Eibachs work the most effeciently with 99/00/01/02. These feel really hooked once the Geo has been done. they can be fitted, (and we often do) with earlier damper rates, to still give a huge improvement over the standard set up. I actually ran a set on my 94 Jap car.. which in theory should be a little too stiff for that spring rate, but it really was a cracking set up. it's just that the IDEAL damper would be one off the later cars

The real expert here would be my aged Pater .... he is probably sad enough to reel off all the damper rates for each year .... the chances of him getting near an internet PC rate highly alongside my date with Britney ... but you can always ring him!!

Hope this helps guys... remember that geometry is more than half the battle too!!

Cheers

trouser
(only TRAINEE suspension guru .... ask Dad really!! )
Old 18 December 2001, 05:49 PM
DrEvil
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

Trouser - the eibach setup on your MY'02 felt awesome on friday (last week). And my car is complete different (in a good way) since you guys sorted my geo out It actually steers round corners
Old 19 December 2001, 12:26 AM
rich101
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

Chaps,

I drove a PPP a couple of weeks ago and whilst it was better than the my standard MY01 it seemed expensive for what it actually consists of ( chip, 2xhoses and backbox )

Anyways went up to TSL on Saturday and they fitted the full ScoobySport exhaust & downpipe, Eibach Springs with full Geometry also bought a Forge Dump Valve and some colour coded reflector inserts for the front wings. Expensive business this modding lark !

The car is absolutely transformed . . . Seriously I am v. impressed. Turn in is crisp almost Evo 6 in the way it handles and the brakes and much more inspiring than before. The brakes also feel stronger than before perhaps the Eibach springs control the weight transfer better. The body roll through corners is greatly reduced leaving the whole car feeling crisper but not bone jarring in a BTCC way.

The engine is much more flexible now a with a slight clutch slip can do some amazing take-off's !
(not too often, but I had to see for myself) Don't know how much the ITG and dump valve add to the whole equation to be honest but a lot of people think it is a good idea so I got a good deal and they fitted everything in less than 3.5 hours. Wife thinks the exhaust sounds a bit boy-racer but it makes me smile when it pops and bangs on over-run.

I cannot thank the TSL enough ( Paul, Graham and the technicians ) the workshop is spotless and the quality of workmanship is outstanding ! IMHO Subaru dealerships could learn a lot from TSL !

Fiited the Cibie Driving lamps on Sunday and that is me done for quite a long while, still money well spent and it all comes in under the cost of PPP at £1695

rich
Old 19 December 2001, 05:22 PM
Trouser
Scooby Regular

Smile

... cheers peeps..... a pleasure! thanks for coming all that way!