Notices

Prodrive springs, geometry & Toyo’s on yesterday

Search this Thread

Old 12 December 2001, 10:38 AM
DT
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Talking

Trip to Powerstation yesterday resulted in a severely dented wallet, but a transformed car.

All MY01 owners should get their geometry done properly, what a difference! For £60 this must be the value mod ever. I had experienced the oft documented inner tyre wear after 5000m so went to the dealers to get they geometry done. Still never felt right though, tramlining, understeer, constant slight drag to the left and slightly unstable under breaking. All this on doubt was a combination of the settings and the RE01’s.

So, after 14000m (and regular rotation) the tyres were worn and totally bald on the inner edges. Powerstation said the was still well out, with massive amounts of toeout, contributing to the handling and wear probs. Driving home last night it was like a different car. The steering was much lighter – now not pulling left or fighting with the tyres, and it just goes where I point it. It has increased my confidence in the car no end.

Prodrive springs have not lowered the car much – can hardly notice, but the effect on handling is tremendous. I was worried that it might be too hard, but no, just feels firmer, taughter and more surefooted. Have had limited use so far, but on the twisty bumpy road to work the ride was really well composed with body roll almost zero. I thought the car handled well before, but with all the above it’s now awesome!!!!

Thanks to the Powerstation boys for their work yesterday.

P.S. Standard 17” wheels.

DT
Old 12 December 2001, 01:10 PM
nigel s
Scooby Regular

I have found your comments costly, I have just booked into powerstation for next week, Prodrive springs plus geometry set up. I asked about Prodrive settings but they recommeded against it. Any comments?
Old 12 December 2001, 02:17 PM
Caronte
Scooby Regular

Hi DT,

I'm a little bit worried. You said that the steering is even lighter. I find it already too light. I would like it harder.
Caronte
Old 12 December 2001, 05:47 PM
DT
Scooby Regular

Nigel S
LOL sorry about that mate, but I've done you a favour. New nothing about the Prodrive settings till I read something here today, so can't comment. These Powerstation boys seem to know what they are doing though and the results, for me, were excellent.

Caronte
Thought someone might pick up on that. Obviously I've only my car to comment on. The car had a slight pull to the left which meant I always had to apply a bit of steering input to keep it straight. Now that thats not there and the fact that the wheels point forwards instead of in a V (toe out)it has made the steering lighter. (perhaps as a result mine was heavier than it should have been)
However, now I can feel more what is happening top the car than trying to deal with all the other variables that the poor set up was giving me. For my car, a very marked & positive improvement to steering and handling. Your set up might not be as bad.
Old 13 December 2001, 06:57 AM
DT
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

As promised a pic of the car with the springs on. I don't think that they lower it much at all, Eibachs look like they may give more. however, the improvement in ride and handling is worth it alone.

Old 13 December 2001, 09:35 AM
Caronte
Scooby Regular

nice lowered, not tooo much as I like. BTW I've got the same color!
Old 13 December 2001, 09:53 AM
AJbaseBloke
Scooby Regular

DT, it may take a while for the springs to settle - a m8's car was TALLER immediately after a change (coz his original springs had settled quite a bit), then sure enough when I saw the car next it was lower...

Doesn't seem like you are too worried about the height tho

Enjoy her
Old 13 December 2001, 10:08 AM
DT
Scooby Regular

Sure enough, looks lower today . That pic, taken at 3pm in the office car park, was the first time I'd seen it in the daylight. Definitely lower, and comparable with the Eibachs methinks now. Mike Wood said 20-25mm which seems about right.
Old 15 December 2001, 10:09 PM
DrEvil
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

Yep, that looks like mine, about 25mm lower... and a good compromise if you don't want P1 style suspension, but if you do want your suspension like the P1 (if not better) get the Eibachs from TSL done...

Geo settings are very important, TSL corrected mine, which was 5MM OUT AT THE REAR!!! 1 week after the springs were fitted!!
This was not down to the springs!! They have a full laser allignment kit set up for any size wheel on the impreza!

The prodrive options is good if you still want a soft ish ride, but if you like a firmer ride, speak to TSL! I test drove their car, and I prefer their set up cos I like a firm ride!

Alex

[Edited by DrEvil - 12/15/2001 10:10:46 PM]
Old 16 December 2001, 11:18 AM
Bryan Allman
Scooby Regular

Smile

DrEvil, who did your Prodrive installation initially ? Having mine fitted tomorrow and would like to be confident it will be aligned correctly.

Old 16 December 2001, 10:32 PM
DrEvil
Scooby Regular

Exclamation

If anyone has questions, could you please email me them.

What you should know is, that all you should be given back is your old springs, nothing else. And the geo settings are different from the MY'00 and before, although can be setup like the MY'00 if you want, but can be customised further for better results.

Thanks, Alex

[Edited by DrEvil - 12/17/2001 8:54:16 AM]
Old 16 December 2001, 11:10 PM
stephen emery
Scooby Regular

going to get the prodrive springs fitted,
how much should i be paying in total, fitted to the dealer!
steve
Old 17 December 2001, 08:30 AM
nigel s
Scooby Regular

£195 for the springs, my dealer (Tileys of Bristol) wanted £230 to fit and set up geo.
Old 17 December 2001, 09:51 AM
DT
Scooby Regular

Spings were £200 incl. VAT. Fitting at Powerstation was 120 & geom was 60, so fitting & geom was 211 inc VAT. Has to be said the geom set up there was MUCH better than my local dealers - Simpsons.

DT