Notices

Worth changing ARB and Drop Links on Type R?!

Search this Thread

Old 22 January 2007, 11:18 PM
Triple X
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Worth changing ARB and Drop Links on Type R?!

As above, since you can basically change the handling characteristics with the diff setting is it worth changing the above mentioned items? If so how will the handling change/improve?

Comes standard with solid front DL's so dont see a need to change them, also heard the roll bar/bars on a type r are thicker than uk, is this true?

Ta
Old 23 January 2007, 07:46 AM
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I think that is true.
But a 24mm adjustable rear could help a lot!
Graham
Old 23 January 2007, 11:33 AM
Triple X
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

Hi Graham,

Would i be right in thinking that would make it even twitchier with the diff set to open as the back end would be stiffer? ie less of an indication the back was going to break away?

John...
Old 23 January 2007, 02:38 PM
Dill_typeR
Scooby Regular

DL's and ARB are a very good handling mod, before you altering anything else, as for altering the diff settings I can't notice any difference whilst driving on track, 1/4 mile whiles I have made better launches with it clicked forward a notch or 2, but on the strip there are so many variables in getting a good time.
Old 23 January 2007, 02:46 PM
Triple X
Scooby Regular

If its wet there is a massive diference to be had by adjusting the diff settings, moving the dial forward adding some lock makes the car more and more likely to induce understeer rather than oversteer in the open mode.
Old 23 January 2007, 02:52 PM
Dill_typeR
Scooby Regular

I know whats supposed to happen, however, driving on normal roads in the wet and on track in the wet i could'nt notice any difference, always used to understeer on roundabouts and on corners on track.
Old 23 January 2007, 03:59 PM
Fat Boy
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

Originally Posted by Triple X
Hi Graham,

Would i be right in thinking that would make it even twitchier with the diff set to open as the back end would be stiffer? ie less of an indication the back was going to break away?

John...
Yes

Trending Topics

Old 23 January 2007, 04:26 PM
Dill_typeR
Scooby Regular

I found that (along with eibach springs and geometry set-up) DL's and ARB's, the car was much more predicable and I had a lot more confidence in its abilities, where as it was a little sloppy before. Solely as a fast road package, and compared to the original set-up, thought the above mods were excellent.
Old 23 January 2007, 05:06 PM
rmtypeR
Scooby Regular

I found a definate improvement with a 22mm adj bar (on the middle setting) and steel droplinks on my Type R, it altered the handling far more than the DCCD does, although not so much in reducing understeer (as I drive so slow it's not something that happens often!).

The initial turn in was definately a little sharper, but the real improvement came after that. It felt like the steering was higher geared (i.e. the steering wheel didn't need to be turned as far to get the car change direction). It felt sharper and more responsive.

The front still runs out of grip first, for example when turning right at a large roundabout in the wet, but smoothly closing the throttle and unwinding the steering a little and the car is pretty neutral.

Just a shame it hasn't improved the feedback through the steering as to how much grip is left.