Notices

New Whiteline Group 4 suspension review

Search this Thread

Old 20 July 2005, 06:47 PM
john banks
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default New Whiteline Group 4 suspension review

A good friend of mine, Job Gevers, from Whiteline UK has been further developing the Whiteline Group 4 suspension for UK use and asked if I wanted to try a development set. He explained that the donor units for Whiteline are from AST, but many parts are then changed. He has been further developing these Whiteline units. Some work on the valving based on dynomometer and real world testing has given a nice improvement in low speed rebound characteristics.

The adjustment range goes from softer than the P1 stuff to a nice bumpy fast road setting in the middle, with another range of firmness that would be suited to a very smooth road or track. There are 14 clicks in all, and my ideal setting so far seems to be 5 and 7 from softest for front and rear. 50 N/mm 40 N/mm front and rear spring rates but Job feels that spring rate importance is overstated.

There seems to be an excellent range of suspension travel without hitting the bump stops. The tyres maintain excellent contact, and the levels of grip are very high.

There are no clonking or other untoward noises (although the units are new) and the design should apparently not need frequent rebuilds with good seals etc.

Overall it feels like it grips, handles and controls the wheels at least as well as KW variant 3 but with better ride quality for a given level of roll resistance, but T-uk has yet to drive it and I am sure will give his opinions.
Old 20 July 2005, 08:05 PM
ozzy
Scooby Regular

Excellent news John. Can't wait to here more about them and how they compare to the P1 and KW setups.

Didn't know Job was involved with Whiteline - he should be advertising that fact a lot more
Old 20 July 2005, 09:01 PM
DuncanG
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Good news.
Old 20 July 2005, 10:25 PM
7 Foot
Scooby Regular

Has it lowered it at all John?
Old 20 July 2005, 10:26 PM
7 Foot
Scooby Regular

Also, any ideas on when these should be available?
Old 20 July 2005, 11:21 PM
Fuzz
Scooby Regular

As sole supplier of AST's Powerstation can already re shim, re valve, re spring and dynomometer test the shocks on their Roeurig (excuse spelling ) shock dyno...

What's special about these whiteline units??

Andy
Old 21 July 2005, 07:32 AM
Scooby Regular

Job is a real suspension wizzard so these units should be realy good.

Perhaps you buy the base units from Whiteline and send then to Job for rework?

When do we get tech info John?

Graham.

Last edited by 911; 21 July 2005 at 07:35 AM.
Old 21 July 2005, 09:04 AM
john banks
Scooby Regular

I don't have any more tech info, they are still development items at present. Just giving my early opinion. I believe the final version will be the UK/Euro supplied version of the Whiteline Group 4 suspension, but I don't know all the details.

The ride height was initially set like the P1 stuff we had on as this was free from arch fouling up to silly speed over some favourite yumps, but it has settled a bit so the back has already been raised a bit, front needs to go up a bit too.

Very comfortable going to work this morning, needs more miles, resetting ride height and geometry. I have 2 degrees of negative camber on the fronts and will need to see what that does to tyres as well.

Main problem is stopping the engine coolant blowing out with all the heavy driving testing them

Last edited by john banks; 21 July 2005 at 09:07 AM.
Old 21 July 2005, 01:13 PM
Scooby Regular

That will be the head gaskets John...
Reading with Interest.

don't the Aussies use 'strange' diameter coil springs or are these 'production' style progessive types like stock Impreza's?

As I said, more tech info.

Must learn to be patient!!

Graham.
Old 22 July 2005, 07:58 AM
Floyd
Scooby Regular

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts

Interesting report John. I'll be able to give my feed back soon and a live test from the Ring...

Andy, what are PS AST spring rates?

F
Old 22 July 2005, 08:43 AM
Dark
Scooby Regular

John,

Is it true that Whiteline UK have opened their office in Dalgety Bay?

I'm guessing this is how you already know Job.

Regards, Mark
Old 22 July 2005, 08:54 AM
DuncanG
Scooby Regular

Whiteline-UK
Old 22 July 2005, 11:53 AM
ozzy
Scooby Regular

Job was running a Business in Dunfermline, so it'll be sweet if they have opened an official Whiteline franchise in Scotland
Old 22 July 2005, 02:36 PM
Scooby Regular

I had hoped that the Whiteline site had been given a make-over...but no.
Is Scotland THE epicenter of the Impreza?

Tedious if you are in England

Graham.
Old 22 July 2005, 04:15 PM
ozzy
Scooby Regular

Of course. McRae set the standard, the rest of us are just struggling to keep up; it's fun trying though
Old 22 July 2005, 05:11 PM
RichiB
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Floyd
Interesting report John. I'll be able to give my feed back soon and a live test from the Ring...

Andy, what are PS AST spring rates?

F

Whatever you want them to be

However our advise is 40Nm on the front and 30Nm on the rear for your classic GC road car.

Andy
Old 22 July 2005, 07:02 PM
Floyd
Scooby Regular

F
Old 22 July 2005, 07:07 PM
Fuzz
Scooby Regular

oops.. must use own pc and not the boss's !

Andy
Old 22 July 2005, 10:39 PM
T-uk
Scooby Regular

met up with john and job and tried this stuff.

do you know which version your getting?

I was interested to hear that there is to be three standard type versions . in a nutshell , the comfort spec , a fast road/track spec and a tarmac rally/competition spec.

I think for me and fellow hooligans , I would like to try the fast road/track spec as I found the comfort spec a bit too soft. they really are almost standard like for ride comfort. on a road I was unfamiliar with and driving sensibly , the comfort spec would soak up the road bumps/changes nicely but on my local roads , that I know where every bump is and could really push on , I felt I needed the front end firmer/tighter . as Job pointed out this would cost comfort but did say a heavier front ARB might help.

if the fast road/track spec is somewhere in the middle of john's development set and the jap bred coilovers , then it would probably suit my driving preference better.
Old 23 July 2005, 07:19 AM
Scooby Regular

Very interesting.
Compliance is a desireable attribute in a fast/competition car.
I think I've lost some of that on my current set-up, and suffer a fair bit from wheel lift on some of the tight turns with a lot of slope to them. For those that have been there, Pardon Bend at Prescott Hill Climb is the worst, like driving up a cork screw!

Graham.
Old 23 July 2005, 11:03 PM
Floyd
Scooby Regular

Well, the deed is done and it only took a mere 3 years or more to decide on a suspension set up. This chap started the task but gave up as he thought it may be more fun fitting a down pipe instead

When my car was standard the chassis was able to cope with the power and I felt it was very good 'out of the box'. Now with over 300/300 the car became very nervous and unstable to a level that took me by surprise. The rear A/R just made things worse for a reason unknown.

The AST fast road kit has restored composure, poise and added more grip. I've not pushed it around the corners (the road isn't safe to find those limits) but most high speed stuff on bumpy B roads (including getting air on a yump) has been a revelation. It's still early days but this is encouraging.

I have 40 and 30 springs F/R with 5 and 4 clicks F/R IIRC. The ride hight won't have Mr Wallis taking the **** now and I won't be finding any tramps sleeping under my arches anymore. The drop is 30mm although this is expected to settle a further 5mm. I didn' hear any rubbing on the arches or notice any binding or bumpstop action.

The ride is compliant but slightly jigglier than standard but its a good trade off.

The real test will be on track...

F
Old 24 July 2005, 01:06 AM
T-uk
Scooby Regular

sorry, I though you where getting some whiteline stuff as Job had said a few other sets are/where going out.
Old 24 July 2005, 07:58 AM
Scooby Regular

Flloyd:
Have you tried any changes in the damping rate on those springs yet to see what effect it has?
Did you add any other mods at the same time, ie camber bolts etc?

I am looking to have another go at my chassis via AST to get more speed on the hill climbs using the 407 bhp better...
Is the braking more controlled or about the same as before?

Sorry for all the questions but I find chassis more interesting than engines as it makes the car faster and safer!

Graham.
Old 24 July 2005, 09:31 AM
chrome
Scooby Regular

Nice floyd

Wonder if PS/clinic will take some KYB AGX in PX?
Old 24 July 2005, 10:23 AM
Floyd
Scooby Regular

T-uk, I would have liked to try Job stuff but I wasn't on the list The AST is similar IIRC and PS can re valve and re spring to my specs anyway so that was the decider. I would have gone for the P1 kit but couldn't source it at the right price and I also couldn't wait for the Scooby Sport stuff. Leda was an option but more £££ and still has intermitant problems. Tein, Cusco or any other Jap stuff is just way too hard.

Graham, not played with the rates yet as I'll wait for the Ring to explore these options. The braking seems more controlled with none of the squirming that I'm used to. I can threshold brake much easier now - great! Other mods were bumpsteer and alignment - 1.5deg camber and 0.02" toe IIRC (I'll dig out the spec sheet and post later). I didn't need camber bolts as there was enough adjustment as standard. ALK isn't something I I feel need. Oh, and if you mention 407 or post that hill climb picture again I'll explode

F
Old 24 July 2005, 11:58 AM
T-uk
Scooby Regular

Oh, and if you mention 407 or post that hill climb picture again I'll explode
LOL

I also find the jap stuff way too hard which was why I took a chance on the KW's. I still feel they are too firm for daily driving but jb borrowed my car for a month and said they where fine. I find I get bored of them if sticking to the speed limits and think john's P1 stuff is a much better compromise for the daily hack.
Old 24 July 2005, 01:18 PM
Scooby Regular

Just for Floyd:
230 bhp and 1995

That's why I went to a scooby. Promise to shut-up now.

Graham.
Old 24 July 2005, 07:53 PM
Floyd
Scooby Regular

A new picture hurrah Very cool too

T-uk, daily drive doesn't interest me much as its a w/e and track car, although not an out an out track car. It has to be compliant enough for the kids but firm enough for the 10/10ths at the track too. I suppose this what most people want!

F
Old 10 August 2005, 10:42 AM
silver6933
Scooby Regular

With due repect.

But I believe that you have installed the helper spring incorrectly.

Generally as a rule the helper spring is installed near the botton of the strut. basically touching the adjustable platform.

However in use I do not think it matters much.

Just some FYI
Old 10 August 2005, 12:54 PM
Scooby Regular

The helper spring was installed at the 'top' ie next to the top mount on all 4 corners on my AST installation. The later spec 911's are the same on other systems.
Normally, the flat wire helper springs collaps to 'coil-bound ' condition and do nothing for the actual spring rate. Must admit that it seems a bit pointless to have them unless the car's driven in such a way to get air under the car and the suspension goes to full doop. The helper keeps the main spring tight in it's seating when on droop.

Food for thought.
Graham.

Quick Reply: New Whiteline Group 4 suspension review