Help with coilovers

Search this Thread

Old 14 July 2005, 10:44 AM
pedro72
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy Help with coilovers

Hi there,
I have recently aquired some tein type ha coilovers. Had them put on with geometry done, but the ride is currently too harsh for daily driving and i havent a clue how to adjust them!
Any guidance would be greatly appreciated before my spine packs in!

Pedro
Old 14 July 2005, 12:53 PM
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

First thing is to back-off the damping rate.
I think this is done by turning the screww on the top of each strut. Turn ti achieve max soft.

Now count the turns (or clicks) to max hard.
Set the screw at half hard and ad one click/1/2 turn to the fronts only, so the damping is slightly stiffer on the front.

Drive it carefully at first!

If it is still very hard, there will be two things:
Spring rates are far too high. 300 front and 250 rear is a good rate for the road
Units are broken, rare for all 4 to fail though.

Graham.
Old 14 July 2005, 11:11 PM
pedro72
Scooby Regular

Cheers for the advice graham. I will give it a go tomorrow morning. Should i turn it anti-clockwise or clockwise? I am pretty sure it is currently set up for track day, it seems to want me to nail every corner otherwise the whole car judders! I drove up to solihull yesterdy and the M40 seemed like an off road course!!
Old 14 July 2005, 11:49 PM
SlowBoy
Scooby Regular

Wimp.

Old 15 July 2005, 07:09 AM
Scooby Regular

LOL @ Slowboy

Coil-overs can be tunes to a good firm controlled ride. I run the M40 several times in the Midlands (where I live) and the car is like my stock UK Turbo was.

If you have the right rates to start with...

To determine the way to turn the damping control, if the control is on the top mount end then screw/click anticlockwise.

After any adjustment always drive carefully till you are sure. Too easy to go mad to see if things are ok!

Graham.
Old 15 July 2005, 12:08 PM
Aztec Performance Ltd
Former Sponsor

To adjust you will need a small allen key. Be VERY careful not to overtighten as it is very sensitive. Turn the adjustment nut very lightly - do not apply an pressure. Count 'clicks' From memory turning adjustment left makes damping softer. I usually have my set to the softest setting all around on the road, but havent really played with the settings.

Did warn you that Tein Type HAs only go from 'hard' to 'harder'

All depends on what you are prepared to put up with. I can quite happily drive along on the hardest setting also (has been like that for last few months).

Bob
Old 15 July 2005, 10:48 PM
pedro72
Scooby Regular

Question

Originally Posted by BOB'5
To adjust you will need a small allen key. Be VERY careful not to overtighten as it is very sensitive. Turn the adjustment nut very lightly - do not apply an pressure. Count 'clicks' From memory turning adjustment left makes damping softer. I usually have my set to the softest setting all around on the road, but havent really played with the settings.

Did warn you that Tein Type HAs only go from 'hard' to 'harder'

All depends on what you are prepared to put up with. I can quite happily drive along on the hardest setting also (has been like that for last few months).

Bob
Cheers Bob, i'm just hoping that the current setting isnt the softest setting or i'm in trouble! I am sure that at present it is on a fairly hard setting but on the positive side when i really go for it the car just responds - as long as the bumps will allow!!
Do i have to take the wheels off to get to the settings?
Old 16 July 2005, 01:15 AM
SlowBoy
Scooby Regular

Nah, mate. Should be at the top of the strut. Pop the bonnet and have a look. Or check online for a manual - might be worth a shot.
Old 17 July 2005, 01:27 PM
Aztec Performance Ltd
Former Sponsor

Top of the struts. Allen key right in the middle.

You have to take the rear seats out on MY99/00 4-door to get to the rear struts. Not sure about other models but should be quite obvious.

Bob
Old 19 July 2005, 10:04 PM
pedro72
Scooby Regular

Managed to get to both struts easily with the help of SlowBoy. Have turned front struts back 5 clicks and the rears back 10. I dont know what they have been set at originally but it is a lot easier to drive with daily.

How do i know when they are at the softest setting and how many clicks are there?
Old 21 July 2005, 01:49 AM
SlowBoy
Scooby Regular

Anyone?
Old 21 July 2005, 07:21 AM
Scooby Regular

Cool

On the assumption that most Coil overs work the same way:

Looking down onto the adjuster allen screw/****/hexagon head adjustor, turn the adjustor anti clock-wise until the adjuster will not turn any more.
AS BOB SAYS, BE VERY CAREFULL. NONE OF THESE SYSTEMS ARE PARTICULARLY ROBUST!

The damping rate should now be at the softest setting.

Some designs use clicks to ensure a balance in all the dampers can be achieved.
It is a good idea to count the clicks or full 360 degree turns from max soft to max hard to know how much you need to turn/click to go from soft to hard; the range.

On my AVO's there are 10 turns that cover this extreme range.

The spring rates are heavier on the front of the car than the rear in the case of the Impreza. The rears are about 20% lighter as a rull of thumb.

Thus, as a starting point i would suggest that the damping rate for the front is set at mid position, lets say 5 turns if the range is 10 turns, and the rears set at 4 turns from max soft.
most people refer to the turns/clicks from max soft position;

ie '' 7 turns front 5 turns rear from max soft position.''

That is a starting point.

ALWAYS drive the car carefully to start with to evaluate how the change has affected the car. In this situation you only get to feel the difference at quite high cornering speeds, take care!

To prove my point try driving the car on fully soft and then fully hard and you will see what I mean (no traffic about!)

That all sounds like I'm talking down to you, that is not my intent; just going back to basics.

The final settings will depend on spring rates and your taste of ride. That is why you fit Coil-overs!

Graham.

Last edited by 911; 21 July 2005 at 07:25 AM.