Notices

Geometry

Search this Thread

Old 06 June 2005, 08:42 AM
rms555
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Geometry

Could anyone please tell me if my geometry settings are 'out' (camber) will this effect tyre wear or just the handling of my car? My tyres appear worn on the inside edges, with about 2-3mm across the rest of the tyre. I am having new tyres and tracking/4x4 alignment this week and i am worried they are going to wear? Is this pattern of wear normal and do you get the same sort of wear pattern? Thanks
Old 06 June 2005, 08:50 AM
Mr_Wid
Scooby Regular

If your getting uneven tyre wear its more than likely that your wheel alignment is out. This could be caused by either incorrect camber setting or incorrect toe settings.

Get it four wheel aligned and then you'll be able to see exactly what was out on the print out they give you.

www.alignmycar.co.uk for those looking for somewhere to get there's done!
Old 06 June 2005, 09:44 AM
ThrustSSC
Scooby Regular

Having the inside corners worn out with 2-3mm on the rest of the tyre is normal on my MY03 STi. I asked the same question as you on here (do a search) and Mike Wood of Prodrive admitted it was normal - and was due to hard braking. His advice: brake less and go round the corners faster LOL

Worth saying too - mine has been laser aligned by Powerstation who are highly rated at doing that job.
Old 06 June 2005, 02:29 PM
automodellistagt
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by ThrustSSC
His advice: brake less and go round the corners faster LOL
lol
Old 06 June 2005, 10:38 PM
AndyMoody
Scooby Regular

How has the tyre wear been since getting it done at Powerstation? I need to get my WRX03 done after getting new tyres all round. The last set of front tyres were worn on the inside including one down to showing the canvas. I was shocked to see this after I'd been on the M1 a week before with the family on board.

Andy.
Old 06 June 2005, 11:08 PM
ThrustSSC
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by AndyMoody
How has the tyre wear been since getting it done at Powerstation? I need to get my WRX03 done after getting new tyres all round. The last set of front tyres were worn on the inside including one down to showing the canvas. I was shocked to see this after I'd been on the M1 a week before with the family on board.

Andy.
My observations are from both before and after getting Powerstation to do the alignment (at the same time as fitting PHP). They apply to both 17" rims and 18" rims. It's just a characteristic of Scoobies, but it can be eased by swapping rims front to back at half-life - the inside corner wear is predominantly on the front.
Old 06 June 2005, 11:11 PM
AndyMoody
Scooby Regular

I'm on 18" rims. Do you notice big difference in handling and wear afterwards?

Don't want to ruin my front new tyres........they don't come cheap.

Andy.
Old 07 June 2005, 08:33 AM
rms555
Scooby Regular

i bought a little Draper tyre depth guage yesterday??? and measured mine across the whole width (3 places), they are roughly ---3 mm across whole width on rears and 2mm across whole width on fronts. BUT 'bald on the insides' I suppose this points to camber angle being roughly about zero degrees?

Luckly i didnt have to do any trig as tyre wear was even!!!!!!!---i think new tyres roughly come with 8mm tread depth?