Sponsored by:

Geometry - where should I go - MK area

Search this Thread

Old 14 September 2001, 05:37 PM
dteagles
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question

Where should I go in the MK area to get my geometry checked/sorted out?

Cheers,
Darren.
Old 14 September 2001, 06:40 PM
Josh L
Scooby Regular

If you want to get the 4 wheel alignment done, Listers sent me to a get good place in Bedford. It's a bit of a dive to look at, but they did a good job.

Unfortunately, Listers arranged and paid for it, so I haven't got their details any more. You could try asking Pete Jackson at Listers (01905 640512).

Alternatively I beleive Mr Data had to have his done, and I presume that was fairly local as well.

Josh
Old 17 September 2001, 10:53 AM
dteagles
Scooby Regular

I was actually looking to get the geometry adjusted rather then just the wheels aligned.

At the moment the car understeers alot (I would imagine that part of this is due to driving style), and have heard that having the geometry sorted will improve this?

Cheers,
Darren.
Old 17 September 2001, 11:16 AM
mutant_matt
Scooby Regular

Talking

You're better off going to Powerstation and getting the Bump Steer mod done at the same time as getting the 4 wheel alignment carried out - this should cure the standard car's nasty bias towards understeer.....

Do a search in suspension if you want more info on the BSM, there's loads about it.....

Matt
Old 17 September 2001, 11:25 AM
babber
Scooby Regular

Wink

dteagles,

When I got my Turbo from new the understeer was terrible.

Check the tyre pressures, 33 front, 30 back works for me.

What tyres do you have ? RE010 (Bridgestones) are not helping, SO2s (also Bridgestones) will be much better.

Have the Pro-drive cambers done, and if you can go to Powerstation and get the bumpsteer mod done. I haven't had the latter done, but can report the Pro-drive cambers adjustments make the world of difference.

Controlled powerslides are so nice now, and I've got used to a minor bit of U/S, and love it.....

And remember slow into a corner and fast out (until your used to it and have the confidence to drive it flat out )

Cheers Phill C

PS Your dealer should be able to get the Pro-drive settings done for you. Tileys of Bristol can.

[This message has been edited by babber (edited 17 September 2001).]
Old 17 September 2001, 01:00 PM
Andy Winskill
Scooby Regular

I had the Prodrive setup done at my dealer (Adams of Aylesbury). The car is much livelier but you can still get it to understeer if you're goofing it into a corner...

BTW I was warned to keep an eye on the front tyres for tyre wear!
Old 24 September 2001, 10:27 AM
dteagles
Scooby Regular

Phill,
Tried lowering the rear tyre pressures at the weekend, it seems to improved things alot! (33 front, 30 rear) it now seems more neutral, but I can't understabd why? I thought that lowering the rears would lead to more grip and hence make the understeer worse.

On my Westfield the rule was to lower the pressure on the end you wanted more grip from (within reason), this seems to go against that idea, it it because it's 4WD?

Cheers,
Darren.

PS - O am running on the standard RE011's
Old 24 September 2001, 10:49 AM
Josh L
Scooby Regular

Darren,

Sorry if you misunderstood. As far as I'm concerned it's the same thing.My geometry was reset to the middle of all tolerances by this lot in Bedford.

Since you misunderstood me, I presume you've not tried Listers, so I've put in a call to them and I'll let you know the name and number when they get back to me.

Josh