Notices

STi8 Sticking rear shocker?

Search this Thread

Old 03 January 2005, 05:20 PM
ajm
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default STi8 Sticking rear shocker?

It appears one of my rear shocks is sticking (2003 Sti8 ppp w. prodrive srpings)..... I have been hearing a few clunks/creaks coming from the rear for a while and then I started feeling the driver's side rear corner "settle" after braking, kind of like it had stuck in the up position and then returned to normal during pulling away. I've had it up on the ramp at my mate's garage but neither him, his mechanics or I can see anything physically wrong other than a tiny amount of scoring on the shafts of both rear shocks, but the feeling is unmistakeable... one is definately sticking. You can see it by physically lifting and dropping the rear corners of the car to compare the two!

I understand this is a known problem, and, as the car is under warranty it should be replaced FOC.... question is should I push to get both rear's done at the same time? The last thing I want is two unmatched shocks (one more worn than the other) or worse still, the other side to start sticking!

Anyone demanded the pair be replaced and, more importantly, had their request fulfilled?

TIA

Last edited by ajm; 03 January 2005 at 05:23 PM.
Old 03 January 2005, 10:08 PM
ALi-B
Support Scoobynet!

Received 301 Likes on 240 Posts

PMSL - your thread in NSR lasted about 2 seconds ...wonder if the mod actually clicked the link or just thought "it's AJM on a cat hate spree....better vape it straight away"

Anyhoo...always replace shocks in pairs on the same axle

I've driven a car with empty shocks...was quite amusing (think pogo sticks and a those low-riders ) Doesn't help but thought I'd mention it
Old 03 January 2005, 10:10 PM
ajm
Scooby Regular

Cheers!

Proves cat exposure theory works... this thread had 4 views since I posted.... now look at the views!!!
Old 12 January 2005, 10:16 PM
ajm
Scooby Regular

Well.... popped into the dealers today and surprise surprise:

"subaru will only let us change one at a time"

as predicted.

How much should I push this issue?
Old 14 January 2005, 06:18 PM
bikerthou
Scooby Regular

just get the dealer to say both shocks are frozen solid and fit both job done
Old 15 January 2005, 02:09 PM
ajm
Scooby Regular

They won't do it, they refuse!
Old 05 February 2005, 07:46 AM
ajm
Scooby Regular

UPDATE:

Well.... I took the car in on Weds to get it done and noticed when I dropped the car off that after all the fuss they had actually written N/S & O/S Shocks on the paperwork! I kept schtum and when I picked the car up I asked them what they had done and they said they had replaced both!

Obviously one of the mechanics has a conscience and had undermined the service manager. No more clunking or unsettled handling. Result!
Old 05 February 2005, 05:33 PM
Engineer@Uni
Scooby Regular

Lucky man, real lucky. I saw your thread back when you first posted and thought you were in for a shafting. 3 cheers to the mechanic!
Old 05 February 2005, 10:14 PM
JIM THEO
Scooby Regular

I recently changed my standard WRX suspension with a set of MY03-04 Spec C shocks and Prodrive springs.
Before this and as I know how common the sticking problem is I drilled one hole in each rear shock exactly under the bottom hat that holds the spring in place and where the metall is double layer.
Fitted a small greasing nipple there so I can regrease them (with high quality waterproof Lithium grease) whenever it's nessecary, the grease keep them since now noise/sticking free and I have more than 10000km since fitting - bear in mind they are take offs!
We'll see if I have problems in the future but this practice were quite common in the past on Rally suspensions, I know it first hand from a friend that owns local Bilstein service so I suggest this method to everyone that has problems with his rear STI shocks.
Hope this helps!
JIM