Notices

weird noise after prodrive springs MY03 WRX

Search this Thread

Old 22 July 2004, 07:36 AM
sapkan
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angry weird noise after prodrive springs MY03 WRX

Two weeks after I had the prodrive springs fitted and I am noticing a weird noise when applying the brakes from high speed. It does not happen the whole time but when it does it is scary. I would press the brake pedal and this increasing resonating noise comes about and it gets worse if I dont release the pedal- the whole car starts to shake and vibrate. Its a weird frequency that resonates with my ear drums, something similar to going in a tunnel with your window open...very strange. A friend of mine insists that it is nothing to worry about and is caused by the new spring rate causing a resonance with the car but I have head a lowered focus before and it didnt do that. Anyone with similar experience or familiar with this problem?
Old 22 July 2004, 09:54 AM
wrxmania
Scooby Regular

Your friend could be correct - that along with any shudder caused by slight warping of your brake discs.

I have the Prodrive spirings and they don't do that.

Brian
Old 22 July 2004, 10:12 AM
Fox
Scooby Regular

Smile

Originally Posted by sapkan
Two weeks after I had the prodrive springs fitted and I am noticing a weird noise when applying the brakes from high speed. It does not happen the whole time but when it does it is scary. I would press the brake pedal and this increasing resonating noise comes about and it gets worse if I dont release the pedal- the whole car starts to shake and vibrate. Its a weird frequency that resonates with my ear drums, something similar to going in a tunnel with your window open...very strange. A friend of mine insists that it is nothing to worry about and is caused by the new spring rate causing a resonance with the car but I have head a lowered focus before and it didnt do that. Anyone with similar experience or familiar with this problem?

Sounds like brake fade to me - I had the same with my MY01 some time after I fitted Prodrive springs - must be driving faster !!!

Get your disks checked for wear and warping

Regards
Old 22 July 2004, 11:35 AM
sapkan
Scooby Regular

if disks were that badly warped the steering wheel would vibrate and shake as well when braking from high speed (I have had that on my nissan) but it doesnt do it. The noise comes from the front suspension. Is there anything in particular you think I should check?
Old 22 July 2004, 09:04 PM
craigdmcd
Scooby Regular

a complete nut and bolt check of everything that was disconnected on the front and rear might be a wise idea