Prodrive suspension!

Search this Thread

Old 10 October 2001, 09:50 PM
JIM THEO
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question

Hi All
I know it is mentioned before, but have never heard about experiences from the Prodrive Prof kit for the old shape Impreza (mine is MY200).
How it is compared with the standard 99-00 suspension and the WR kit (as I heard from friends and read somewhere WR is 20% stiffer than stock with excellent ride quality, while Prof kit is 30% stiffer and hard for everyday use!).
Difficult question ?
JIM
Old 10 October 2001, 09:58 PM
Andy Tang
Scooby Regular

Exclamation

Hi Jim,

I had the standard MY99 suspension, and it was far too soft for my liking!

I changed for the WR kit as that was on my previous car, and prefered the firmer ride! It's harder than standard, but not as harsh as some of the Japanese import cars.

My friend has got the Prodrive Professional kit, and it is harder than the WR kit, but more on par with the P1, so it is still less harsh than some of the Japanese import cars!

I have since added solid drop link to my car to replace the platic bits, and I would say the ride in my car now is very similar to that of the Professional kit or a P1.

It would be easier to show you, but it would mean you coming over to the UK!!! The problem is that this is quite subjective, and what I consider I could live with, others will find too hard or too soft!

Hope this helps
Andy

Old 10 October 2001, 10:19 PM
JIM THEO
Scooby Regular

Wink

Hi Andy
Useful as always your opinion...
With that said how can I buy the P1's suspension (I know only for P1 owners but I am out of UK) and why it is available in USA (SPD) and not in Europe?
I'd like to come there with my Scooby, but I need the money for suspension and other mod and need also at least one week!
Never mind, you are welcome here whenever you'll decide to visit Greece .
Regards
JIM
Old 11 October 2001, 03:04 PM
PANOS DIM
Scooby Newbie

Hi Jim,
I own a MY00. The standard suspension was too soft for the car. I replace it with the PP suspension after six months. The handling and the feeling was better than before. After I started to modify my car and the suspension become too soft to handle the increased power. So I replace them with Proflex. Their performance is very good after 12000km.
My suggestion for you is, if you plan to modify your car get a Proflex, Indrax, Leda or a simolar suspension kit. You will get the performance that you want and maybe you will save some money for your road trip to UK.

Regards
Panos
Old 11 October 2001, 03:15 PM
Andy Tang
Scooby Regular

Exclamation

Jim,

Bear in mind that the P1 suspension was optimised for a 2 door coupe. I guess that's more relevant for the US owners and their RS2.5's!

My friend was comparing the handling and the firmness against the P1, and his setup on his 4 door car (Prodrive Professional kit) feels very similar to a P1! I was in the car with him for a couple hours yesterday, and the route covered fast roads and country lanes. The car seem to soak up all the bumps, felt very comfortable (despite the 18" wheels!) as well as offer amazing performance on some quite 'challenging' corners!

As Panos says, it depends how far you want to take your modifications, and probably the quality of the roads you drive on!

Personally I would do the solid drop links as well! Although it firms up the ride (more!) it inspires incredible confidence!

Andy
Old 11 October 2001, 09:00 PM
JIM THEO
Scooby Regular

Panos
Proflex...how much?

Andy
Don't remind me our roads. You don't know, believe me - except the national roads.
Is the main reason what I am looking for the Prof kit!
JIM
Old 17 October 2001, 11:26 AM
Stelios
Scooby Regular

Lightbulb

On the subject of handling.
What we here need to understand is that our roads are absolue sh?t.
I always laugh when i read the UK guys compaining about their roads as our roads are unbelievable.
The trouble over here is the ever-changing quality of the tarmac coupled with bumps and potholes all over the place. Thus ride height, spring rate and dampers setting (especially rebound) must be set softer than more "civilised " roads in order to follow the contours a bit better as too hard a suspension in high speed corners will unsettle the har on hard bumps.
For myself ill keep the PD-wr suspension and get rid of the roll by arbs and solid links. What I dont much like about Impreza handling is the way the weight tranfers specially on exit of drift cornering. Well all that is theory of course when i fit the arb etc ill tell u more as im booked on Monday.
Jim c ya on or about the 28 m8!
Pano hows married life? Take me 4 a ride with your motec48pro/vf22 to see what im missing!
Old 20 October 2001, 09:20 AM
TopCat
Scooby Regular

Hello Andy,

I wonder what your friends name is;-)

Moe