Notices

Poly bushes, Anti-Roll bars and Steel Links?

Search this Thread

Old 17 September 2001, 12:41 AM
MRK
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hey Mark just do it.

I had the Bumpsteer mod and fitted new anti-roll bars 22mm front and rear plus links and the improvement is astonishing.

Totally flat cornering, NO thats NO understeer, just sweet controlled steering through corners.

The only down side is that there is an increase in harshness through the suspension over ruts etc.

Highly reccomended.

M
Old 17 September 2001, 09:13 AM
Mark Pitchford
Scooby Regular

I've got a '94 WRX 5-door that has just failed it's MOT because the bushes on the anti-roll bar links are knackered.

Is it worth replacing with poly bushes? Is it a good idea to go for the steel links, at the same time? What difference will I notice?

What about upgrading the anti-roll bar at the same time as the links? What difference will I notice?

Is it worth going for a heavy-duty jobbie or will the thicker bar from a later model be better?

Any help appreciated!

Mark
Old 17 September 2001, 01:10 PM
Mark Pitchford
Scooby Regular

What about just doing the rear?
Old 17 September 2001, 04:56 PM
MRK
Scooby Regular

Hey Chapper.

While investigating all this, a few people did say just do the rear. Scoobysport said you only need to do the bushes, and don't sell ARB's (weird). Scoobymania said doing the rear works well but the best comes from upgrading both.

IMHO only up-ing the rear may induce oversteer as it technically makes the rear stiffer. Maybe upgrading the rear ARB's and links but only fitting upgraded bushes at the front may work a treat.

My advice working on a cost basis & if you don't do track days then try the bushes first or speak to Mike @ Scoobymania.

But I do reccomend the Bumpsteer mod

Hope that helps.

M

Old 17 September 2001, 05:25 PM
Mellow Yellow !
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

Scoobymania supplied and fitted my car with uprated anti-roll bars, liks and anti - lift kit, dont know if you saw it at Trax but it was flat in and out of the corners and was instrumental on my lapping several "fast" peeps on the last session, great mod as far as I'm concerned !
Old 20 September 2001, 12:36 AM
Mark Pitchford
Scooby Regular

OK!

Old 20 September 2001, 11:40 AM
Mark Pitchford
Scooby Regular

Right,

I've decided to do it bit-by-bit to see the difference that each bit makes.

I've ordered the steel ARB links and should get them before the weekend.

I'll report back when I've got them fitted.

Mark
Old 20 September 2001, 11:57 AM
dowser
Scooby Senior

Please do - I've ordered the same...but wont get it for awhile...if they're rubbish, just lie

Richard
Old 24 September 2001, 09:15 AM
Mark Pitchford
Scooby Regular

Well, I never got the solid drop-links as they were out of stock but got the STi items instead. These are of the same design but with heavy-duty bushes.

There's a marked increase in stability whilst cornering.

There also seems to be a little less understeer as well, which is nice!!

Thicker ARB's next!

Mark
Old 24 September 2001, 11:41 PM
steve McCulloch
Scooby Regular

Hmmmm

I have the alk, the rear adjustable MRT arb and the front arb and the solid drop links and bushes - and the bump steer mod

All I can say from, now experience of messing with several arb's on a number of cars is that you cant just go for the rear arb - you should get the front one as well, otherwise the car is more twitchy, especially in the wet, easy to lose the back end with just the rear arb - when I added front arb difference was noticable - can throw car around more....

ALK was amazing in getting rid of understeer!

Bushes and solid links - cant say I noticed any difference - but didnt care as cost peanuts anyway.....

Better still put proper front strut brace on and put on rear strut brace... front strut brace on sti 5 car is bordering on totally useless...
Old 27 September 2001, 10:30 AM
Mark Pitchford
Scooby Regular

Thanks Steve,

My car is a five door that already had a front strut brace when I brought the car over from Japan and the rear stru brace is a nightmare on a MY94 car as it intrudes in the boot!

Did you do the ALK and Bumpsteer mods in isolation?

My problem, as you can see from my profile, is that I am at the complete wrong end of the country to get the bumpsteer mod done!!

Mark
Old 27 September 2001, 11:24 AM
Stelios
Scooby Regular

Talking

Steve,
Ive just ordered all u have put on (!) ie ARB front ,adj rear, ALK, rear camber control bolts, steel ARB links front and rear plus rear heavy duty mounts all from whiteline australia. Please-please tell me your suspension settings as i now have what prodrive suggested with my WR package but whiteline suggests different ones.
Mark,
mine is a 5door too (MY00) and whiteline has a rear brace for us thats gonna be available next month. Also i think 5door models donot have such large bumpsteer dialled in as i read in a thread here somewhere. Certainly my 5door never understeered dramatically after prodrive WR package and settings just still too much bodyroll for my taste.