Notices

Bumpsteer measuring.......

Search this Thread

Old 05 September 2001, 06:54 AM
dowser
Scooby Senior

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hi All

I want to get bumpsteer removed on my car here in Switzerland....and don't to drive to UK to get it....'cos then I'd have to do the link too

I understand the concept of what is done (ensuring toe doesn't change during suspension loading), but not how it is measured.

How do Powerstation measure toe during suspension movement? Jump up & down on the bonnet?!

Only thing I can think of is to wind down the springs with spring compressors - would this do it?

Anyone know or have any other ideas?

Thanks
Richard
Old 05 September 2001, 01:21 PM
DavidRB
Scooby Regular

Wink

Pull down on the tow-hooks!
Old 06 September 2001, 05:45 AM
dowser
Scooby Senior

For real?!

Thanks
Richard
Old 06 September 2001, 08:40 AM
mutant_matt
Scooby Regular

Talking

Yup!!!

At PS they get two blokes, one on each corner. They put a rod through the tow hooks and both then hang off it. That compresses the suspension enough to check that the mod has worked!!

Matt
Old 06 September 2001, 11:06 AM
IWatkins
Scooby Regular

You also have to measure the bump steer on extension as well as compression. This is managed by lifting chocks under the front of the sills and lifting the front of the car here to extend the front suspension.

Combine the bump steer on extension with the bump steer on compression and from this you can calculate the necessary work required to minimise/remove the bump steer.

Cheers

Ian
Old 06 September 2001, 11:51 AM
dowser
Scooby Senior

Thanks All

Time to find a friendly alignment place in Switzerland Have other Swiss owners got any recommendations?

Oh, last thing - what range of shim sizes should I have available for the steering rack, and what diameter.....guess I *should* crawl under the car and have a look I suppose...

Cheers
Richard
Old 08 September 2001, 11:12 AM
mutant_matt
Scooby Regular

Talking

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:<HR>Originally posted by dowser:
<B>Oh, last thing - what range of shim sizes should I have available for the steering rack, and what diameter.....guess I *should* crawl under the car and have a look I suppose...[/quote]

If you phone up Powerstation and ask Rich or Dirk <I>*really*</I> nicely, they <I>*may*</I> tell you (if you explain that it's too far to drive for the mod...

Matt

Trending Topics

Old 10 September 2001, 08:48 AM
GeeDee
Scooby Regular

"At PS they get two blokes, one on each corner. They put a rod through the tow hooks and both then hang off it. That compresses the suspension enough to check that the mod has worked!!"

Don't recall anything like that when mine was done!!

Graham (MY99WRX - a Proper one)
Old 10 September 2001, 02:56 PM
Erik
Scooby Regular

Hi Dowser,

how are you satisfied with Eibach/Koni suspension? Is it lower like Eibiach/KYB struts? And what is with ride quality/comfort on bumpy roads? I have offer for all 4 struts for 170,-GBP

Thanks

Erik

P.S.

Look at
Old 11 September 2001, 07:22 AM
dowser
Scooby Senior

Erik

Very, very good - better roadholding and better comfort. Softest setting is good for snow/winter too.

Only downside is that the hardest setting is a *little* too soft for track - but perfect for spirited road driving

I normally run half to three-quarters (one turn is max).

Have you tried the MRT underside brace? Don't see how it can affect bumpsteer - as the steering rack will still affect toe on suspension movement. Interested to know your thoughts.

Cheers
Richard
Old 11 September 2001, 07:54 AM
Erik
Scooby Regular

No brace is still on the way. It will arrive within two weeks. If you want more details pleas read my mails with MRT and Whiteline with details about brace:

Hi Erik.

Thanks for your enquiry, and apologies for the delayed response.

The increase in handling response is certainly noticeable, although on poor quality roads you will also notice a very slight increase in noise/ride harshness. However, with the other modifications you have made already, you probably won't notice the effect on ride quality. You WILL notice the improvement in the handling of your car though!

Once fitted, you shouldn't need to alter the geometry of your car although if you are driving on rough roads regularly then I would suggest getting the wheels aligned on a regular basis anyhow.

I hope this helps and look forward to your reply.

Kind Regards
Ben
MRT Performance "We Rally, You Win !"

G'day Erik
I want to ask you if using H type front lower control arm brace KSB700 and KSB704 x member brace effect minimal car height a and if geometry re-adjustment is needed after fitting?
[WL] No, these items are designed to lock the existing settings and stop things moving under load. KSB700 is approximately 12mm lower than any other item under the car.

My car is european GT, MY98 with Powerflex bushes /like yours ALK/ , Whiteline/MRT links and urethane bushes, Sparco front adj. strut brace and Scoobysport downpipe.
What`s with OE skid plate? Do I need to change this plastic sh***t for custom rally like made/?
[WL] The skid plate is not in the way, it should not cause a problem.

Cheers

sales@whiteline.com.au
Go flat out with Whiteline Automotive

See us at
Old 11 September 2001, 11:12 AM
dowser
Scooby Senior

Thanks Erik

Before doing more mods to my suspension I want to solve what seems to be a fundamental problem with the geometry - namely the toe changing with suspension compression and extension. Any mods done while the toe is still varying seems a compromise to me.

What I find is that if I know the road well then, say in the wet, understeer is not an issue - I can drive around the issue using slow in and fast (OK, sideways ) out.

However, if I don't know the road then a violent direction change in the wet will lead to terminal understeer and lots of momentum lost waiting for it to get control again.

This gets even worse on a slippery skid pan - where only use of the handbrake seems to stop understeer.....

I'm not sure how much is down to expected understeer under these conditions, or how much it will be improved by removing any bumpsteer (can anyone who's had it done comment?) component. I'm keen to find out

Of course - driving skill is probably a much larger factor....and I'm cr*p, lol!

Looking at the MRT performance shop, the adjustable top mount plates look interesting too......

Cheers
Richard
Old 11 September 2001, 02:38 PM
Erik
Scooby Regular

or
Old 12 September 2001, 07:07 AM
dowser
Scooby Senior

Erik

Dampers will not affect ride height - springs will Eibachs lower Euro OE stuff about 25mm.

Regards
Richard