Notices

CUSCO top mounts-non-serviceable?

Search this Thread

Old 06 September 2001, 12:40 AM
bigrex
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Have you contacted Raceparts (UK) Ltd. They are an official NMB distributor.
http//www.raceparts.co.uk
Tel 01491-822000

I would be interested to see how you get on. I have just ordered front and rear Cusco top mounts for my Legacy.

Old 06 September 2001, 11:14 AM
RobAnderson
Scooby Regular

Just wondering if any of (the few of) you running cusco suspension have tried to get replacement spherical bearings for the top mounts-(most of the [Teflon?]composite within has been knocked out by the combination of the uk roads and the 'unforgiving' nature of the suspension.)
Once stripped down it turns out the bearing is from NMB but is of a particularly bizarre jap. metric specification that is basically appears impossible to source.
The only solution it seems is to either get a 'run'(50-100) of bespoke bearings machined-at huge cost, buy new top mounts-at huge cost, or junk the cusco suspension altogether and get something else-at huge cost, (probably AVO or Leda), that you can at least get bits for which is what I think I shall do - (after all,the cusco makes you feel like you've been involved in a major road traffic accident everytime you go over a pot-hole -the handling benefits offset this slightly- but as you spend most of the time, on a standard english B road, airborne you don't get to appreciate the handling much).

Anyway, just thought I would warn you (unless any of you have had any luck replacing/sourcing the bearings of course)
Old 06 September 2001, 02:05 PM
RobAnderson
Scooby Regular

Thanks very much for your help
Yeah,
I tried Raceparts first of all - they were very helpful - but ultimately to no avail- the bearings they have are all imperial sizes (that don't even come close to matching size-wise) they suggested John Hanley Bearings who were similarly helpful but still couldn't source the bits.
Perhaps there is somewhere Stateside but I'm not sure if it's worth going to those sort of lengths when it will probably work out cheaper just to replace the whole mount- (or less hassle in the long run and kinder to my spine to replace the whole suspension!).

By the way, where did you get your cusco bits from and how much if you don't mind me asking? I may just get some new mounts for the time being while I look for a new suspension kit.

(By the way - I don't know if you're familiar with Cusco stuff but the quality of it is first-rate,don't get me wrong, and if you have civilised suspension the mounts will more than likely last the lifetime of the car- so don't let me put you off in that respect )