Dodgy top mounts ... can anyone help ?

Search this Thread

Old 08 September 2001, 09:55 AM
EvilBevel
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question

Hi all,

I suspect that the top mounts on my MY99 are to be on the way out.

I know that STi do an "uprated" top mount kit.

Questions:

. is the STi kit any good ?
. is there something better ?
. can someone provide me with an STi or better kit ASAP (meaning: to have it fitted before the 23rd ...) ?

Suspension I'm using is DMS Gold 40mm if that is important.

Thanks,

Theo
Old 08 September 2001, 03:58 PM
MarkF
Scooby Regular

Evil, the thing you find with using hard suspension like DMS, Leda and Bilstein etc. is that because there is much less give in the suspension the forces are applied to the weakest points, ie top mounts. If it sounds like they are chattering its the bearings in them thats starting to wear. Thats what happened to mine with my Bilsteins. Or if the car feels 'sloppy' its the rubber mount going. I replaced mine with standard mounts from Graham Goode's but if you don't mind the added harshness you could go to Group A style rose jointed top mounts.
Old 08 September 2001, 10:19 PM
EvilBevel
Scooby Regular

Mark, thanks for the reply. What happens is that I hear some "cloinking" at low speeds (rear).
My previous (very hard) Intrax suspension had it even at higher speeds, and it became gradually worse. Switched to the DMS, and the noise was gone, but after 2 months it's back.

When the car is jacked up, and you move the wheel up & down, you can easily feel the suspension moving in the top mounts (backseat out job, putting fingers on the mounts)

I thought the Intrax was completely gone, but closer inspection showed them to be OK Would be surprised if the DMS is starting to fail already, hence my thinking that the top mounts are just not up to the task.

At the risk of sounding dumb ... what is a rose joint ? I've seen some metal looking plate on some GrpA cars (nothing to do with the strut braces), is that what it is ?