Notices

Help, do I change dampers?

Search this Thread

Old 10 August 2000, 07:38 PM
stratman
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The suspension on my 96 UK Scoob is a bit on the er...for want of a better description, bouncy side. Its strange thing to figure out cos it feels quite firm when you hit a rut or pothole yet on certain undulating bumpy surfaces it rebounds two or three times.

I asked the Suburu dealer to check it out and he says that its a characteristic of the car, and even suggested that a lot of the bouncyness is attributed to the soft seats fitted to the UK cars.
The car has done 80k mostly motorway miles and is on the original dampers.
Should I just cough up the six hundred or so quid for dealer fitted original dampers ( I understand that Koni inserts might not fit) or is this really a characteristic of the car.

Has anyone else experienced this on an older model UK car

Old 10 August 2000, 09:19 PM
JohnS

I wouldn't buy new ones at that price. Lots of 2nd hand ones from virtually new cars availabl with springs for about 1/3 that!!

Check the private sales section, or place an ad in the wanted section.

Some dealers often have a set from a nearly new car sitting around which has been upgraded which they'll let you have for next to nothing.
Old 23 August 2000, 07:39 PM
Swiss Steve
Scooby Regular

I just had KONI adjustable inserts fitted on my MY99, with Eibach's. So long as the standard struts are same on yrs, as on the later models - should be OK.

Don't expect to keep the old 'inserts' though, they get destroyed when preparing for the new inserts (Have to cut the top off and drill a hole in the bottom of the strut casing... messy)