Notices

ALK - unexpected benefit

Search this Thread

Old 29 January 2000, 12:37 AM
GavinP
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
David,

I hadn't noticed the steering lift but I will see if it happens on my car - I have standard WRX springs/dampers so possibly this is a factor.

Regarding NVH, the only change I can feel is the fan switching itself on and off when stationary. This is fairly subtle - but I'm sure I couldn't feel it before.

This is of course, very minor and IMHO if you only buy one thing for your Scoob, this should be it...especially if you have an earlier car.

Since fitting mine, my average speed has increased significantly due to the amount of roundabouts in Milton Keynes.

Thanks

Gavin
Old 29 January 2000, 10:29 AM
Trout
Scooby Regular

Talking

I have had an ALK on my STi V now for around two six weeks.

There is a an unexpected benefit of this, which at first I thought was wish fulfillment, however I have tested this with a number of other Scooby owners/drivers/passengers who tend to agree.

I expected that the ALK with it's polyurethane bush would have more NVH - however my STi now feels (not necessarily IS) much more supple and compliant at the front end.

I have checked tyre pressures, etc, but at low speed it is not as harsh as it was before. A number UK car drivers/etc have commented that it is more supple than a standard car (not a normal response to the solidly suspended STi).

My belief is that this is to do with linearity of response. The standard bush is a semi-hollowed rubber thing - which will accelerate at different rates, probably causing higher perceived harshness, like hitting a bump-stop.

Anyway, just a thought....

....also the handling improvement is great, although I don't like the steering anomaly that it causes due to 'lifting' the front of the car up and down as you turn the wheel!

David
Old 30 January 2000, 10:57 AM
Trout
Scooby Regular

Talking

Gavin,

the steering anomoly is very slight and only really when you are doing low speed manoeuvers - fine out on the road...

...and the handling - terrific. With ALK and solid rear links the car seems to be stiffer and more supple at the same time - RESULT - and I feel so much more confident driving it now, even with sha**ed tyres!

David