Notices

AVO coilover is it good

Search this Thread

Old 20 September 2003, 12:47 AM
Creepy
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I was wondering if there is anybody who has that TSL offered AVO coilover system on their classic. Are they any good....
I understand that the height is adjustable, also the damping but is that one or two way adjustable ?
And what about noises inside the car ?
I live in Belgium and it's dificult to get some info because almost no-one has them on their car...

Creepy
Old 22 September 2003, 09:20 AM
X SOOOBY
Scooby Regular

i have them on my car my00 they are only adjustable 1 way bar the ride height

i can only comment on avos and cant compare to say leda etc.. but they work very well on my car but then i do have anti lift kit bumpsteer thicker antiroll bars droplinks so i guess all that would work

it certainly makes the car look good
Old 24 September 2003, 10:47 AM
babber
Scooby Regular

Wink

I just got a set and can only praise them, they are great. I haven't noticed any extra noise inside the car. Cars handling is totally transformed, but as above I got new anti roll bar, droplinks, strut brace and bumpsteer done. A mate of mine has just the AVO without all the other bits I got, and even without the wheels being aligned is much better than standard stuff.

Do yourself a favour and get some, then play with the settings

Phill
Old 24 September 2003, 09:23 PM
Tim-H
Scooby Regular

Red face

3 of mine are leaking at less than 6 months old
Tim
Old 25 September 2003, 12:10 PM
babber
Scooby Regular

Wink

Send them back then, have you spoken to the supplier ? What did they say ?

A mate of mine has two leaking Bilsteins as well

Phill
Old 28 September 2003, 07:48 AM
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Angry

NS Rear rattles like mad. Important to find the right damping for the spring rate. I hade mine about 2 years ago and hill climb the car and 3000 miles on the road each year.
Factory support poor, I would look elsewhere, LEDA?
Graham.
Old 09 October 2003, 01:55 PM
Tim-H
Scooby Regular

Red face

Mailed the supplier 15th sept , got a response today,-----

" HI Tim
I have looked into your dilemma, AVO only cover their warranty to the first owner of the suspension, i.e. fred blogs.
If I can help you out in anyway please let me know.
Kindest regards."

Although they are not 6 months old because I am the second owner they don`t want to know.
Buyer beware !!!
Have a good one
Tim

Old 13 October 2003, 12:24 PM
CraigH
Scooby Regular

Thumbs down

Since when is the warranty on these applicable to the person, not the goods.

Absolute bull - you're telling me all the AVO dealers take the purchasers name and send them to AVO?

Think you're being bull5hitted.

Check the Sale of Goods act, sums AVO up really.
Old 13 October 2003, 02:45 PM
Tim-H
Scooby Regular

Angry

Yes I am off to trading standards when I have time.
They were bought from JW Racing, I thought they were a decent bunch but oh well, I wont be buying anything off them :-)
Tim
Old 17 October 2003, 08:32 AM
babber
Scooby Regular

Wink

On the numerous occasions I dealt with Jamie from JW Racing, he provided a brilliant service!

I can see both points here though. If your the second owner of the coilovers and don't have the receipt then I can understand them being a little funny with you about changing / repairing them!!

As I said, I haven't had any problems with mine todate

Phill
Old 17 October 2003, 11:04 AM
Tim-H
Scooby Regular

Angry

My gripes with JW are the near month they took to answer my mail and the unhelpfull reply , seems a little "we have been paid for them why should we be interested" to me.

My main point is an answer to "AVO coilover is it good"
It`s cheep so you get what you pay for , perhaps mine was a "friday set" but generally they are poorly desigened, The springs are too short, the settings are hit and miss, the ajustment and spring platform is made from ally and locks with a grubscrew into the threads of the shock ( corrosion and wear problem),It is noisy even on standard rubber mounts and as i said 3 of mine are leking badly @ 6 months old on a road car,
Perhaps someone swapped them for a 1950` set of autograss shocks when I wasn`t looking,
My opinion from very short expereiance of both of the above is .... well make your own mind up :-)
Have a good one
Tim
Old 17 October 2003, 05:46 PM
Scooby Regular

Angry

Tim, Although mine do not leak after 3000 miles, they do shift their settings over time. I hill climb my STi and Iv'e noticed this is getting a frequent problem!
They are cheap, compared to DMS for example, never the less, I challenged the MD there that they were not fit for purpose, he was not very bothered, nobody else had complained so go away!
Poor job.
Graham.
Old 23 October 2003, 03:00 PM
RRH
Scooby Regular

Echo what Tim-H says- they are utter sh*te. I believe JW Racing have stopped selling them as a result of the questionable quality.

The threads went rusty within two months FFS!

Cheap and not very cheerful unfortunately.
Old 23 October 2003, 08:38 PM
Tim-H
Scooby Regular

Talking

Another gripe against JW racing , I emailed them once and today they junk mail me, nice one next time try asking me if I want your crap boy`s
Tim
Old 28 October 2003, 11:21 AM
Jamie Whitfield
Scooby Regular

Tim-H - I simply relayed what I was told, you can't really ask for any fairer. :S

The fact it took around 2 weeks (and NOT near on a month as you state) was out of my control too as I was waiting for a response.

Now if you contact me in a more friendly way, I could possibly do something for you or at least try my very hardest, but I see no point in your unfair (and it must be said inaccurate)comments, without actually letting myself know of your concerns!

We stopped selling AVO Suspension as we had this big problem and had heard a few more in passing, luckily this was our only case.

I understand your concerns regarding your suspension, but NOT of JW Racing as we were trying to help you, even though YOU never actually bought the units from us. If you need any help, then let me know, if not then see the vendors point of view and act a little more fairly next time!

Jamie

www.j-w-racing.com
www.dawesdevices.com
www.performanceexhausts.net

Old 28 October 2003, 04:41 PM
RRH
Scooby Regular

Tim,
Appreciate you're upset m8, but it sounds like Jamie is genuinely trying to help.
Give him a chance
Old 29 October 2003, 11:48 AM
Tim-H
Scooby Regular

Arrow

Tim-H - I simply relayed what I was told, you can't really ask for any fairer. :S

>The fact it took around 2 weeks (and NOT near on a month as you >state) was out of my control too as I was waiting for a response.
mail sent 15/09/03 @ 11.46 am
reply recieved 09/10/03 @ 11.34am
long two weeks that

>now if you contact me in a more friendly way, I could possibly do something for you or at least try my very hardest, but I see no point in your unfair (and it must be said inaccurate)comments, without actually letting myself know of your concerns!

would have been nice if you would have possably done something in the first place,when I did contact you in a friendly way, see date`s above for who is the more inaccurate

>we stopped selling AVO Suspension as we had this big problem and had heard a few more in passing, luckily this was our only case.

Don`t blame you,

>I understand your concerns regarding your suspension, but NOT of JW Racing as we were trying to help you, even though YOU never actually bought the units from us. If you need any help, then let me know, if not then see the vendors point of view and act a little more fairly next time!
Jamie

Perhaps you haven`t seen the customers point of view,I have a car with 6 month old suspention that is leaking, I contact the vendor who tells me "the warrantee" only applies to the first owner, that`s a lot of help, how can you help me any more ? sell me something different, then in 6 months time if it`s faulty not want to know ?
I have been in the trade for over 20 yr`s now, why you even told avo they belonged to a second user puzzeles me.
could you email me the name and no of the person you spoke to at avo and I will take it up with them direct.
Tim

Old 29 October 2003, 06:11 PM
Scooby Regular

Tim, when I had my AVO's new I was not impressed with the quality of the product. My supplier told me that they really couldn't help, but suggested that I contact them myself!
I am a fully qualified mechanical engineer, a Technical director, and also head of Customer Services where I work. Some of the Scooby suppliers need some help! We would never get away with all this game here....
I contacted AVO, their MD I think, who did at least listen to my point of view, told me the product was good, that there were no instruction because they were early units, but really gave me the cold shoulder. Thanks for the £ but off you go.
I fully understand your frustration, I wish you luck , and a result!
Graham.
Old 29 October 2003, 08:48 PM
Creepy
Scooby Regular

I have now ordered a coiloverset from AST, a dutch company, almost unknown by us mortals but they are suppliers to race and rally teams around Europe.
Good point : the factory is only a 1.5 hour drive from my home..
Bad point : I have to wait a few weeks before delivering...

The set is height and damping adjustable and has a warranty wich include track-driving. The boss of company called me personally to make his apologies for the waiting, some parts are in order and they have to wait themselves before they can assembling the damper-units...

Creepy
Old 30 October 2003, 05:51 PM
Scooby Regular

Cool

That's customer service!
AVO need to note.
Graham.