Notices

Whats all this geometry and bumpsteer malarky all about then?

Search this Thread

Old 25 April 2003, 01:34 PM
Cord
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Can anybody tell me what geometry is altered and by how much, at powerstation and also what is done to improve the bumpsteer, I am considering having it done but would like to know exactly what it entails as I know a bit about the subject.
Old 25 April 2003, 01:49 PM
Claudius
Scooby Regular

From the website, it's merely two bushes that lower the steering attachment points in order to achieve a certain angle in the suspension arms directions or something. I've read up on it a little, and appearently it prevents extreme dynamic toe changes. I have found bumpsteer gauges as well, which allow you to measure the bumpsteer. Oh, and I've seen bushes for $9.95 LOL

I hate it when people reply "search" so I thought I'd say something even though I dont know that much. If it was no use, let me know, I'll edit it

Later
Old 25 April 2003, 02:43 PM
Cord
Scooby Regular

I expected that they lowered it but didn't know how, or by how much. Bushes eh? that was exactly the sort of thing I wanted to know. Now how about some info on the geometry mods?
Old 25 April 2003, 03:23 PM
Claudius
Scooby Regular

I dont know their settings, but I suppose it's at least 1 deg camber front, and less in the rear. They probably slightly toe the wheels in, (like all ***** setups ) so that the trolls dont hit walls or ditches and say on here it was their fault.
Old 26 April 2003, 01:17 PM
Leslie
Scooby Regular

Not true Claudius, there is no excessive toe-in on the Powerstation set-up,in fact hardly any. They use shims,not bushes on the rack, the correct thickness for the individual car. My bumpsteer was reduced from 40 minutes on front suspension travel to one minute. The rest of the suspension geometry was correctly set up and evened up to their settings and the car handles like a dream now. Absolutely balanced in wet or dry, understeer all gone, and the tyres wear completely flat over the whole tread,always a sign of good geometry. So no compromises for those "trolls" who can't drive in your class. The job is done while you wait and the guy will tell you exactly what he is doing and why.

I have no connection with the firm except great satisfaction with their setup.

Les

Old 27 April 2003, 12:40 PM
alcazar
Scooby Regular

Received 27 Likes on 25 Posts
Thumbs up

What Les said:
Alcazar
Old 27 April 2003, 05:05 PM
Claudius
Scooby Regular

Shims is what I meant, sorry. English is my third language, you know
Old 29 April 2003, 02:42 PM
Lars
Scooby Regular

On my MY 99 they lowered the steering rack about 5 mm this make the steering arm parrallel with the road and gives minimum too change when the wheel move up and down.
When the wheel move up and down the steering arm has to follow and as one end is fixed to the steering rack the outher end will describe a circle. This will change the too of the wheel.

Under cornering too out is bad as it gives less grip, and this is what the classic Impreza do.
My too was set to 0.0

[Edited by Lars - 4/29/2003 2:43:34 PM]