Notices

Leda adjustable ring = Stuck! .. What now?

Search this Thread

Old 19 April 2003, 01:01 AM
swiss scooby
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question

The last time when I took my car to the Subaru dealer, my plan was to adjust the front Leda suspension height to a higher setting. Unfortunately, we soon realized that the lower adjustable ring (counter ring?) was totally stuck and didn't want to move a single bit (even with the slight use of a hammer on the adjusting wrench). After a while we gave up, because time was tight and we didn't want to push it, fearing that the thread could break.

Has anybody experienced something equally? The dealer and I thought that salt (during snowy winter times), car wash with high pressure hose (and sometimes temperature) or dirt could be the reason that it's stuck. He then told me that maybe he would need to cut (!!) the ring and to replace it with a new one. I would appreciate any other ideas (maybe less time consuming and less risky).
Many thanks in advance!
Old 19 April 2003, 11:56 AM
Kippax
Scooby Regular

swiss scooby, clean the thread up with a wire brush and spray plenty of WD40 on it so it runs down into the thread and leave it to soak in. if it doesnt turn you may have to chisel into it and split it.
Old 19 April 2003, 12:14 PM
Chelspeed
Scooby Regular

Agreed, loads of WD40 and leave it overnight.

Then once it's off loads of copperslip on the threads under the adjusting collar and lock collar before tightening them. Best move the other three and copperslip them too or you'll find the same thing in a years time on them. Ally collars on a steel shocker body is not ideal for corrosion resistance but with enough copperslip it's not too bad.
Old 20 April 2003, 03:57 AM
swiss scooby
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

Thanks for the replies!! I will give it a try as soon as stores are back to regular opening hours (after easter).
Old 20 April 2003, 11:59 AM
P20SPD
Drag it!

Had/have same problem on my AVO coilover kit. Lost patience in the end. Will try again soon though.
Old 22 April 2003, 11:34 AM
Pavlo
Scooby Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I had the same problem with s/h Ledas. Lots of WD40, a little heat (hot air gun, not a blow torch) might help too. Afterwards I applied a liberal coating of waxoil. No problems since.

Best to take strut out of car IMHO and get it in a decent vice with soft jaws.

paul
Old 25 April 2003, 11:41 AM
POC
Scooby Regular

Question

Im about to tackle this very problem on my TEIN suspension.... any additional advice lads?
Old 25 April 2003, 12:24 PM
swiss scooby
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

@POC,
I worked on the LEDA's on Tuesday and it took me like 4 hours in the end, mainly because I haven't got a garage lift. Jack the car up, remove the wheel, then brush the thread clean with wire brush. In the end I managed to fix them and got the rings loose. I still had to use a plastic hammer to hit the adjustable wrench, making the ring move millimeter by millimeter. I really had to use a LOT of WD40. Then I smeared Copper Slip to the threads as advised. Now the rings still turn kind of hard, but at least they turn. Usually the counter rings were the worst!
Needless to say that everyone who's planning to install adjustable coilovers to their cars should do the copper slip thingy before the installation!!
Hope this helps. Good Luck!
Daniel
Old 29 April 2003, 01:14 PM
POC
Scooby Regular

Thanks for the advice, unfortunatley there was no way the buggers would move for me

I had heat on them and a 4ft pipe on the end of the C spanner, the collars were breaking before they were moving Couldnt risk totaly fooking them up so put it all back on the car

Only option now is to try to source new platforms and cut the other buggers off with me dremmel

Any ideas where I could get TEIN platforms? Have mailed RC Developments, awaiting response.

Thanks guys

Paul
Old 30 April 2003, 08:59 AM
Pavlo
Scooby Regular

If the coilovers can be stripped, so for instance if they have removable inserts, then you might be able to get just the main outer bodies. i did this with some cusco, and it allowed more heat to be used without damaging them.

You have to persevere, and I would definitely recommend removing the whole struts fromt the car, as it's much easier to put on multiple turns.

If things are really stuck, then a very bif stilson wrench might be better, but will damage the rings.

The main thing to do is clean them up too, get every last bit of grit and rust off the threads. I fitted my platforms with waxoil on the basis it should stick around longer without attracting so much dirt once dry, seems to have worked so far.

paul
Old 30 April 2003, 09:02 AM
POC
Scooby Regular

Thanks Paul, I'm getting there now, there is no way these buggers are gonna move getting the dremel out this evening to gently cut the existing platforms off and refit with new jobbies.

For reference:

http://www.scoobynet.co.uk/bbs/threa...hreadid=203760

[Edited by POC - 4/30/2003 9:02:50 AM]
Old 30 April 2003, 01:27 PM
Pavlo
Scooby Regular

don't cut them quite through then split with a chisel of some sort.

I spend a long time cleaning the threads below the platform so it had somewhere clean to move to.

Leverage wise I had something about 2 foot long , infact I think I used annother strut somehow.

Also, if the C spanner isn't up to it, I used a bike chain wrapped around and clamped with mole grips (great when C spanner wont go on or is missing).

I can't recommend the hammer/screwdriver method as you need sustained force IMHO.

Paul
Old 01 May 2003, 10:56 AM
POC
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

Update in here :

http://www.scoobynet.co.uk/bbs/threa...hreadid=203760

I drilled halfway through the locking collar, then split it with a hammer and chisel.... i was then able to knock the platform loose with a screwdriver and run them both off the strut.

Cleaned the thread up well, put on some spray wax and fitted the new platforms

Job done.... just gotta get the ride height right now... cant see the tyre, its right up in the arch

Thanks for all the advice