Search this Thread

Old 20 February 2003, 01:12 PM
patGT
Scooby Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question

Hi,

Talking about a MY99 Turbo.
I am considering having a fully adjustable LEDA B suspension kit installed.
Meanwhile, I have been offered a set of adjustable Whiteline rear swaybars including heavy duty links and mountings, plus Anti-lift kit.

So my question is what would be the best way to go for optimized handling on B-roads and "bumpy" race tracks like the Nurburgring Nordschleife:

1) Leda B
2) Whiteline Swaybar/ALK
3) Both (or would that not make any sense??)

By the way, lowering is not a necessary thing to me and I would more or less stick to the original ride height when using the Leda.
Thanks very much in advance for any input.

Regards,
Patrick

Old 21 February 2003, 08:50 AM
patGT
Scooby Newbie

Is there anybody who could give me some info, please?

Thx,
Patrick
Old 21 February 2003, 08:59 AM
Puff The Magic Wagon!
Support Scoobynet!

Received 15 Likes on 9 Posts
Can't comment on the w/line & ALK stuff as I don't know enough...

BUT

Leda B is extremely good on bumpy roads. Took it to Ireland (bog roads) and it becomes imensely compliant, soaking up bumbs and with an excellent composure. Under 45 on the same roads its not so good, but we're not talking sub 45 are we? I use it on a daily basis and hustling through the twisties of Cambs/Suffolk it can't be faulted.

If you have a choice, I'd do the the Leda first as that is going to make the most difference for you.

Old 21 February 2003, 09:49 AM
patGT
Scooby Newbie

Thanks very much Puff!
Glad to hear that the Leda is so good on bumpy roads. Because I do not want to eliminate the Impreza's rallye car character by installing a too hard suspension.
I think I'll go right for the Leda now since this will as you said make the bigger difference (also in price, of course) for me.

Cheers,
Patrick
Old 21 February 2003, 02:20 PM
mutant_matt
Scooby Regular

Talking

Agree with Puff - the suspension will make the biggest difference (as long as it's set up well) and to a degree, is not the same as attacking the problem with the roll bars/links/bushes.

I would recommend do both but like you said, Leda first. If you want to have a read about which parts have an effect on what, this thread is good as the Handling Dynamics guy at Prodrive certainly knows his stuff and explains this well!!

Matt
Old 21 February 2003, 03:27 PM
patGT
Scooby Newbie

Thanks, Matt!
The thread you provided is indeed a very interesting and informative read about all that suspension and vehicle dynamics thing. Appreciated it very much.

However, it also does confuse me quite a bit due to the fact that Damian Harty does explicitely NOT recommend adjustable dampers! According to his words, they would be far from ideal. Is that generally true or could that be a matter of taste, too?

So, in the end I do not know any more what solution I should go for. Still somehow considering Leda being great though.

Patrick
Old 21 February 2003, 06:08 PM
mutant_matt
Scooby Regular

Talking

I think what he means is that the opportunity for setting up the car wrong is high (so it's easy to get it wrong and ruin the handling), not that they are inherently no good.

Many people have found that the standard dampers are just not up to hard use at the Ring so something aftermarket is then required (but this depends on how hard you drive at the time (obviously)).

Ta,

Matt
Old 24 February 2003, 09:43 AM
patGT
Scooby Newbie

Thanks again Matt.
I think I will soon have the Leda kit installed - while expecting that there are some reasonable, well-tested "standard" adjustments available for it suiting road and track use. I do not exactly want to go through all the adjustment and "testing" myself.

Regards,
Patrick