Notices

IN DEVELOPMENT.. New TSL Own Brand COILOVERS

Search this Thread

Old 19 August 2002, 06:54 PM
Trouser @TSL
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Smile

Still a way to go yet.. but after years of fitting other peoples.. and of course, father's BRC Tarmac knowledge have lead us to develop our own coilover units.

Final specs will change throughout development but this is pretty much how they will look.

Steel bodies, simple height and damping adjustment with top adjustable fronts and side adjustable rears to make life simple at track.

Will be to our normal engineering standards.. but fingers crossed we are trying for a £695 plus VAT (£816.63 inc) price point.

Obviously got a few 1,000 miles to do first but we aren't exactly splitting the atom here so hopefully out in a few weeks for your track and road enjoyment

Please feel free to call or mail during development for latest news

Cheers

Paul
TSL
Old 21 August 2002, 04:21 PM
Trouser @TSL
Scooby Regular

Talking

Yay!!!.. really getting somewhere now..

have so far finalised the current specs and highlights

# British Manufactured to ISO 9002 quality procedures
# 300 Hour salt sprat tested with no discernable effect
# Dual Tube CNC machined body with valving specced by us
# 24 point front/ 36 point rear (with positive detent) adjustment
# Easy adjustment. top front and body rear. Whole car takes 2 minutes.
# Zinc Gold passivated/lacquered finish for durability
# 6 acme (ie BIG ) pitch thread for easy adjustment and to prevent grit from sitting in the threads
# Hard anodized top collett and spring platform
# Each unit comes with it's own individual dyno chart for your reference

and best of all.. 3 YEAR WARRANTY.. INCLUDES TRACK USE!!!

So there you have it.. nothing too shocking .. but special at this price level me thinks

Cheers

Paul
TSL
Old 22 August 2002, 08:50 AM
Big Bear
Scooby Regular

Will the rears have camber adjustment?
Cheers Dave
Old 22 August 2002, 10:28 AM
Trouser @TSL
Scooby Regular

Smile

HI Dave

the shape of the rear holes will allow a fair degree of adjustmnet.. We would expect to see realistic negative camber of up to 1d 40 - 1d 50 or so .. same on front

Have changed the valving for a second time as set one was a little firm on our keyworth country lanes.. would have made awesome track settings tho.. just not filling friendly in the real world

Will keep you posted.. just gotta keep banging away some test miles first

cheers

Paul
Old 23 August 2002, 07:25 AM
T-uk
Scooby Regular

and best of all.. 3 YEAR WARRANTY.. INCLUDES TRACK USE!!!

any rules to this such as they are to be removed and checked/serviced yearly?,like what subaru do to uk owners.

had decided to give spax a try because they have a 2year warranty,these sound better still and cheaper.
Old 23 August 2002, 05:36 PM
LoFi
Scooby Regular

I have no idea of the technical stuff but having seen these at TSL they are of awesome quality and look really cool.

Piers LoFi
Old 27 August 2002, 06:29 PM
Trouser @TSL
Scooby Regular

Talking

valving attempt number three now!!!

Flamin' eck we've tried some combinations but finally i got that great feeling as i tootled serenely down the test route of a really nice compliant ride, yet immediate turn in with little roll.. Still some work to do but getting very excited now. I genuinely believe that we can make these feel and work like much more expensive units. happy with the springs.

It's all the low speed noise testing that's the worst zzzzzzz

If anybody would like the dyno readouts faxing i would be happy to oblige.. i don't think they will reproduce very well here

Keep you posted..

Cheers

Trouser

PS.. sorry T-Uk.. how rude... We are chatting to our fabricators.. there may have to be a service or check or similar half way through... if so we will make this very clear from the outset. We will try and make it a proper belts and braces warranty thats actually worth having though

edited.. cos i missed a question.. sorry m8

[Edited by Trouser @TSL - 8/27/2002 6:32:47 PM]
Old 28 August 2002, 12:41 AM
Eagle7
Scooby Regular

Trouser,

I notice that you are now advertising these on your website for the same price as the AVO coilovers.

Are yours finalised and if so how do they compare to the AVOs?

Are they designed for a stiff ride and can it be softened through adjustment?

Also would these best be fitted at TSL or is there a recommended starter setup?

do you have the technical specs for browsing? spring rates etc..

cheers

[Edited by Eagle7 - 8/28/2002 12:43:00 AM]
Old 28 August 2002, 06:54 PM
Trouser @TSL
Scooby Regular

Talking

Hi Eagle

well spotted.. we are going out and out for the AVO market to be honest.. hence the same price point.

The AVO is a good kit.. I ran one myself for a little while and we have sold and fitted many. There are many reasons we chose to develop our own. but reliable delivery, aftersales care and control of build quality were key factors in our decision.

Our units have a larger thread, easier to adjust and this thread is protected rather than bare on the AVO's. The larger pitch is less likely to retain stones and grit

Adjustment is easier. I can do the whole car is less than 2 mins as the rears are accesible through the wheel .. the AVO's were ace at the front but the back took ages.. so i never bothered

warranty is obviously longer and in my somewhat biased opinion they are a little better constructed.

Most imporatantly.. and we still have a way to go. they are working better as we can run the car as low, get the same/better handling and they won't bottom out.

And the dyno charts are ace for anorak moments at meets

If anyone would like to drive the car.. particularly those one AVO's.. i would welcome a less biased view point and feed back

Wheres that Scooby K?.. come and have a go Glenn..

Cheers

trouser

Old 28 August 2002, 11:17 PM
Eagle7
Scooby Regular

Have you finished developping these or is it an ongoing project?

I am seriously considering getting these as I currently have P1 suspension, but find it very stiff, what spring rates are you using?

cheers
Old 29 August 2002, 08:11 AM
ScoobyK
Scooby Regular

Paul, would be happy to if a) I could get my arris in your seat (!), and b) I was booked in for some 6pots....any news ?
Old 30 August 2002, 10:26 AM
colin c
Scooby Regular

Hi Paul,

Would it have been better to had camber adjusting bolts on the rear the same as the front rather than elongated holes in the suspension strut. I know the elongated hole adjustment is the way a lot of companys go, but it is more professional and easier to adjust the camber accurately with camber adjusting bolts.

Keep up the good work, Colin.
Old 30 August 2002, 10:41 AM
Pavlo
Scooby Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
You would need to drill a larger hole in the hub to take the camber adjusting bolt.

do you want to do that?
Old 30 August 2002, 03:55 PM
colin c
Scooby Regular

Surely it would be relatively easy for an engineering company to make camber adjusting bolts the correct size for the hub, but I do understand its easier to make elongated holes in the leg for the adjustment rather than trying to make the holes in the hub larger for the front camber adjusting bolts to fit.

When I spoke to Paul at Max Power he said he would like people to air their opinions about their company's products while they were still in the development stage, as once the product is in full production it's very expensive to alter any tooling / designs of the product.

Colin.
Old 31 August 2002, 06:18 PM
alcazar
Scooby Regular

Received 27 Likes on 25 Posts
Talking

Hi Paul. I'm booked in with you at 9am Monday, and will be interested to see these.
I hope you've got some of those 300 hour salt sprats left for me to try one!! LOL
Old 02 September 2002, 02:04 PM
Trouser @TSL
Scooby Regular

Talking

he he.. my ace typing skills eh??

these are still in development. I thoughi was happy the other day until we did a cruise in Birmingham over the weekend.. on one stretch of road the car felt al little over damped.. this is just setting trial and error mind

The other thing i need to work on is the noise.. these are basically race car units tamed for road use.. the fronts i am now 100% with but the rear valving works perfectly but is a little noisy. Fine for race cars and track nutters but would upset you after a long journey me thinks.

Ah well.. onward and upward sorry for the delay guys.. but getting these right in the first instance is of supreme importance.

Cheers

Paul

PS Glenn.. YHM ad the madcollecter addy m8
Old 02 September 2002, 11:09 PM
ScoobyK
Scooby Regular

Paul, nothing rec'd m8 ... have mailed you from one of my other addresses so that you can respond.

G