Notices

STi with Prodrive Springs?

Search this Thread

Old 19 June 2002, 11:23 AM
ScoobieBoy
Scooby Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Any 2001+ STi owners running Prodrive springs with stock struts? Any comparison would be helpful....

Old 20 June 2002, 01:23 PM
Dave T-S
Scooby Regular

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post
Exclamation

The correct springs for a new shape STi are not released by Prodrive yet, so no!
Old 20 June 2002, 02:23 PM
PSI3
Scooby Regular

Wink

According to my dealer yesterday, 3 variants are being trialled to find the best compromise between ride height and damping/rebound as PPP due for iminent release.
simon
Old 20 June 2002, 07:36 PM
ScoobieBoy
Scooby Newbie

Smile

The correct springs for a new shape STi are not released by Prodrive yet, so no
Ah, that explains it

Any other brands to consider? I have a MY2002 US Spec WRX Wagon with the STi struts and springs and top mounts....spring rates are 217 front and 195 rear I beleive....

I'd like a spring that gives a little bit of drop, an 1" or so, and has at least the same spring rate if not more. There are no springs for sale in the US that meet this criteria.

Thanks,

Lance
Old 21 June 2002, 04:43 AM
WRXWagon
Scooby Newbie

Lance,

I'm waiting right along side you.

- Neil
Old 21 June 2002, 09:06 AM
Dave T-S
Scooby Regular

Exclamation

I'd be inclined to wait for the Prodrive springs. They should be around -25mm drop. BTW, according to Prodrive the lowering springs for the MY01 WRX do not suit the STi.

The STi springs currently being evaluated were about to go to production, but Prodrive think they have found a better setup so will probably go with this.

Be warned though, manufacturing lead times are probably about a couple of months, and this will hit the Euro summer holidays - don't expect to see them this side of September......
Old 21 June 2002, 11:11 AM
ScoobieBoy
Scooby Newbie

Dave,

Thanks for the info...I actually just got a e-mail from Prodrive in regards to some questions I had about the Prodrive springs that are available in the US for the standard WRX. I inquired as to how they would work with the STi struts, or if they had a better spring suited to the STi struts. I also tried to determine the spring rates/drop. Here is a copy of their answers-the "no" in #2 is in response to wether they had another spring for the STi strut....

> Our WRX spring kit is a 25-30% up-rate and a 20mm drop
>
> 1, they will work with the stock struts but be better with the STi
> struts
>
> 2, no
>
> 3, we do not usually release this information, we have too many
> problems with people ripping off our product
>
> 4, these springs were developed on a UK WRX Sedan and a Wagon, they
> work very well on either vehicle.

I'm only guessing, but it seems the spring rates might be less than than the STi springs....which makes me wonder if it's "enough" spring for the 40mm strut..but with new springs on the way, I will be waiting.

Neil,

Are you also on the i-club boards?

Lance
Old 26 June 2002, 04:31 AM
WRXWagon
Scooby Newbie

Lance,

Yes I am..

- Neil
Old 27 June 2002, 01:51 PM
BugEyed
Scooby Regular

Cool

Lance

I think Dave T-S answered your question too literally. Prodrive springs for the New Age STi have yet to be released - and Dave is chasing Mike Wood for them on a regular basis. However, your car being a non STi WRX (regardless of the dampers) will suit the Prodrive springs for the WRX better than the STi springs. The STi is considerably heavier than the WRX, hence the need for a specific spring for them.

Duncan
Old 28 June 2002, 06:42 PM
Dave T-S
Scooby Regular

Exclamation

Duncan
Your point is a good one, but the reason I didn't comment further on my original post is because I wouldn't personally put WRX springs on STi struts even if the struts are being fitted on a WRX. The STi struts and springs are developed together, and if you put WRX springs on STi struts you may well end up with spring and damper rates that are not harmonised with each other, and you might end up with problems - choppiness, bouncing, wallowing etc.

Best advice, however, is to ask Prodrive their opinion on this idea.
Old 04 July 2002, 04:54 AM
ScoobieBoy
Scooby Newbie

Best advice, however, is to ask Prodrive their opinion on this idea.
Well, I guess the thing I find a bit odd is that Prodrive advertises that the current spring is for the WRX, but then they e-mail me that it will work better with the STi strut. And then I read here that there's going to be another spring for the STi....

I was thinking before about trying to optimize the spring and strut together.....hadn't thought about the weight difference between the cars....

More to think about

Thanks for the replies.

Lance
Old 18 July 2002, 03:05 AM
WRXWagon
Scooby Newbie

Question

Any news on the Prodrive STi springs?
Old 18 July 2002, 03:01 PM
PSI3
Scooby Regular

Wink

Just had Eibachs and Whiteline rear anti-roll bar and anti-roll bar links fitted and it has made a huge difference, IMHO. Car now corners much flatter and feels more stable on long sweeping bends,and not experiencing any "choppiness, bouncing, wallowing etc." Originally was only going to use this setup as an interim before Leda's, but so far i am very impresed.

Thanks Powerstaion

simon
Old 18 July 2002, 05:21 PM
kevvwil
Scooby Regular

Indeed, the STi is heavier than the WRX, hence the need for a more substantial spring. The Prodrive spring/STi strut question has come up before, and here are some things that I wonder:

How much drop do the STi struts like? The kit sold in the US gives a 20mm drop, which is about 3/4". The Prodrive spring set gives a 1.25" drop. Would this extra drop matter, or would the much more substantial strut limit the Prodrive spring drop a bit?

The springs sold with the SPT/STi kit in the US are 217f/190r. Prodrive won't tell what the spring rates are for their set, but 30% up, puts the Prodrive springs in the same ballpark, rate-wise at the front, though given the conflicting information about the rear spring rates, the rear number is in question.

Kevin