Notices

MOT failed What would you expect to pay for labour?

Search this Thread

Old 15 July 2020, 10:01 PM
WorksDriver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default MOT failed What would you expect to pay for labour?

Hi and thanks for reading,

I've just had the MOT done on my 07 WRX, at the garage I've taken my car to for years and this time I'm skeptical that I'm been taken for a bit of a ride, it's not for the first time.

This is my first MOT with the Impreza, last years test only had one advisory: Drivers front CV boot loose, which I replaced when I bought the car, so was quiet a surprise how much it had corroded away in about 2000 miles I'd driven in it this year. Is this normal?

Mot failed on multiple issues;
Brake pipe excessively corroded on; Offside front, nearside (main out), offside (main out), nearside (rear main to flexi) and offside (rear main to flexi). Guy said that they make them in house and that it's £18 per pipe for a total of £90
Position light not working (both front). Guessing at the very most £10 for 2 bulbs (and I feel ripped off just for that!). Total £100
Anti roll bar linkage ball joint excessively worn N/S front. I'm supplying my own drop links, so still total £100
Suspension arm ball joint excessively worn N/S front, this is where things get shady.

I usually supply my own parts and just pay for labour and they charge me a little more per hour, probably a extra fiver a hour to make it worth their while, but in the end it's win win so happy days, usually. Today I'm told the ball joint can only be changed by fully replacing the lower control arm and that this is a Subaru factory?dealer only part and made me pay £150 up front it because, I quote "If something should happen to your car and you don't need it I'd be stuck with it". Now this might be legit but I'm concerned that they're just going to swap out the lower ball joint and say that it's done, so I intend to check to see whats been changed when I pick it up. If It hasn't what would anyone recommend doing about it?

My real concern is that for this to be done they are charging £250 for parts without the option of getting my own and £280 for labour, I'd always thought they charged about £55 to £65 per hour which is 4-5 hours, which just doesn't seem right to me, which is why am here, any input would be greatly appreciated, even if it is "just pay up you cheap sod".